powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Small room with sloped ceilings - What to Do?
war_eagle_rto
January 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I need some help. I have a small 10 ft long by 8 ft wide room with a sloped ceiling on two sides. The walls on each side of the room are 5 ft tall before they start to slope in. This room is currently a blank canvus. I would like to turn it into a home office but have no idea where to start. I would like it to have a rustic or modern look. This room is also located off the side of a bigger 18 ft long by 14 ft wide room, so I would like to be able to tie the rooms together somehow. I attached pictures but please note the panaramic shot of the all white room with sloped ceilings makes the room look bigger than actual. Any help would be amazing as I am totally lost.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
January 3, 2013 at 2:20PM     
Jayme H.
My first home had two bedrooms like this one...I did the planking, pale grey/almost whitish semi transparent stain on planking similar to the above posted...it was sooo cute!! I miss that house!! We did ceilings, walls, but had off white carpet.
January 3, 2013 at 2:24PM   
war_eagle_rto
Thanks for the help. I want to use the space for an office, can't believe I forgot to put that in.
January 4, 2013 at 6:00PM   
lizharen1916
In my humble non-decorator opinion, I would create built in bookshelves surrounding the window. I would put a great desk in front of the window facing out. A beautiful area rug in the center of the room. A loveseat to the right or left as you go in the door along with a beautiful chair on the opposite side with a lamp next to the chair so you can sit and read. Printers are wireless these days so you can put that in a closet if you're using it for a full fledged office. That room has a lot of potential. Good luck!
January 4, 2013 at 6:20PM   
lizharen1916
BTW, you have some beautiful photos saved in your idea book. I found that looking at the photos here allowed me to narrow down my likes, but it also blew my mind out. I had to take a break from it.
January 4, 2013 at 6:57PM   
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
What a cozy office space this will be. I'd run countertop desk space over file/storage cabs with loads of leg room -- my trick for unseen countertop support is the 20 inch, $10 mailbox bracket from the Home Depot -- all along the short walls. Here is some inspiration: http://www.houzz.com/attic-office
January 4, 2013 at 7:06PM   
cghdesign
Build in bookshelves into the 5' walls under the slope. There should be attic space behind those walls. Float a desk in the middle of the room to take advantage of the light from the window.
January 4, 2013 at 7:21PM   
smldesigns
Agree with cghdesign - I wouldn't clutter up the window wall with bookshelves. Keep it simple and let the desk be the focal point.
January 4, 2013 at 7:49PM   
lizharen1916
Books warm a room up for me, but...that's me.
January 4, 2013 at 8:41PM