Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Kitchen help needed
bebailey
January 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are looking to update our kitchen, dining area, and fireplace and need help! We are hoping to keep the same cabinetry, but add hardware. We have quartz countertops picked out and will be adding stainless appliances. Will the existing cabinets continue to make it feel dated if we upgrade the rest? They are a nice quality so we hate to paint them.

As for flooring, we like the hand scraped wood in a medium to darker finish that we would like to replace our current flooring with.

Fireplace...this will be replaced with another peninsula fireplace, but raised off the floor more with a new facade.

Any suggestions as to what to do with the cabinets, colors, etc. is appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bebailey
Anyone have some suggestions for me?
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 8:48AM
onthefence
What a great space to work with!

A couple things jumped out at me when I looked at your photos, The cabinets and backsplash do seem a bit dated to me - but that could just be personal taste.

My thought would be to replace the cabinet doors with something a bit more contemporary then restain everything. I'm partial to dark stained cabinets but there are a lot of shades available.

I would also skip the 4" back splash and do a counter to cabinet backsplash. Again, the possiblities there are endless! The color schemes in the rest of your home can help determine what you might do with backsplash. I like backsplashes that are a mix of glass, stone and a few metal accents. It helps tie in the stainless and gives some texture to a room.

Congrats on your redo!
2 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 9:01AM
Carmen Kovacevic
All this is soo creative, so hope i helped :)
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 9:02AM
onthefence
Re: colors - I really like the eggplant and sage colors near your fireplace. I think though that the eggplant color isn't really working with the wood of the cabinets. Perhaps change the kitchen to the sage color - or something in that same shade?
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 9:07AM
wmpj
Your cabinets will still look dated even if you replace the countertops and appliances. I wouldn't replace your cabinets especially if they are in good condition. Depending on your budget, you could try having them refaced. I would continue with the plan you have in mind with replacing the countertops and appliances and living with it for a while. Adding some hardware to the cabinets would help too and a backsplash.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 9:18AM
PRO
Butterfly Yao
Your cabinets quality and color looks good, you don't have to repaint if you don't want to do anything on the cabinets. But I think the door style is very traditional. If the door style is square, not round, they are match to the quartz. Most quartz are very modern, I would like to see the quartz pattern you picked, that can also help us to provide suggestions.

- if you want a traditional style kitchen, but quartz color too modern, you still don't want to do anything on the cabinets, maybe just make some traditional edging for the quartz, to match the doors.

- if you want everything looks modern, probably can change all the upper cabinets doors the same style as base cabinets doors, this is not a perfect choice, the cabinet frame is big, door to door distance (gap) is big, but this is an option as well, you can do quartz first, and then decide to change upper doors or not, this door style and color is not too hard to find in the market.

See my attached image, the color is not really need to change, everybody knows that change cabinets, that can match quartz, but you want keep existing cabinets. My point is based on saving money.
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 9:37AM
PRO
Butterfly Yao
For me, I also like to put new wall tiles, and change the wall color : P
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 9:46AM
bebailey
I love these ideas! Thanks so much! The mixture of stone, glass, and metal for the backsplash meeting the cabinets is terrific! What should I do with the bay window in front of the sink? Continue it there, too, or paint it?

Here is an image of the countertop I was leaning toward--looking at combining the color of the existing cabinetry and having the greys of stainless mixed in. What do you think? I need to think more about all the cabinetry ideas you all suggested--great comments! Saving money by not fully placing them seemed ideal, but they are so dated!

This is a Cambrian product in "bucking ham" and there are four paint color options they have paired with it on their website ( I couldn't get it to attach) and they look great as well.
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 9:52AM