Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Color for walls?
kelliroberts
January 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We just got this bedding for my 10 year old daughter. I would like to choose a color or colors for the walls. The bedding is so busy. I want her new room to be fun and something that will take her into her teenage years. She wants to accent with bright items and a few zebra print things as well. I am open to any suggestions or ideas!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TanCalGal
Leave wall behind bed the green (or if tired of green paint one of the other accent colors in spread/sham). Paint 3 other walls & wicker headboard & night table the bright white that is in the pillows/shams. Sheets the same color as accent wall (green or other accent).
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 10:23AM
Nancy Hehmann
I think every young person needs a bulletin board in their room to hang favorite pictures on, a calender, banners, reminders. I would get one and either paint a bright border and hand it on the wall. I have seen some on Etsy.com in really nice frames too or you could buy a bulletin board and a nice frame and paint it the color you like.

Another thing that I think is great is to have inspiration sayings on the walls to uplift a young person throughout their life. I found one that I think is appropriate on Etsy.com and the person makes them with different colors. Do not know the person. You can quick on the link below.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/84066872/always-remember-vinyl-wall-quote-phrase

You may want to leave the walls white and add pops of colors from the accessories or you could choose one of the colors in the bedspread. I know one daughter was "dying" to have her room painted the color of green in the bedspread you have. Daughters usually love to have input in the decor.

You also might want to go to a teachers supply and get some of the putty type material that you can buy to hang up posters b/c it can be removed easily without making a mark. Young teens like to put up posters and other items - then they are taken down and new ones up.

And if she loves horses or othe animals take a look at the high def photography I have on Etsy.com at nancyhehmann . Just input my name in the search engine or click on the link below. It will take you to a very popular white horse.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/102407541/white-horse-high-definition-photograph

Have fun! I hope I have helped. Have a Happy New Year!
2 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 10:41AM
groveraxle
For some reason, I've been drawn lately to this color combination:
|| C O B U R N - A R C H I T E C T U R E || 1
|| C O B U R N - A R C H I T E C T U R E || 2
It's a little "out there," but if you and she are brave, it would work well with the new bedding.
7 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 10:55AM
kelliroberts
Thank you for all of your suggestions! Going to get a variety of paint color cards to play around with tomorrow...
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 3:13PM
PRO
House of Holland - TX
Pick up the pink or the blue in the bedding and paint just the wall behind the bed to make it the focus! Either one could probably coordinate with the existing green and if she changes her mind later then you only have one wall to fix.
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 3:29PM
anitajoyce
I like the green you have on the walls also. It's very calming against the nice bright bedding.
2 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 4:07PM
jaimecaraway
Match the white in the spread for walls and trim and doors black. Consider painting one wall with chalk board paint... or paint the wall behind the headboard to match the pink used for the G's in the bedding.
2 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 4:17PM
bradwell
i would leave the walls white and paint headboard high gloss black
2 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 6:34PM
TanCalGal
@kelliroberts. Here's a good, short "how to" on choosing wall paint: http://www.lindaholtinteriors.com/2011/07/testing-wall-color-101/
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 6:38PM
jendavin
same as bradwell- paint white wicker headboard shiny black, then white walls. accent with items (lamp s and lampshades, etc.), not wall color.
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 7:01PM
nelsonsister4
May I ask where you purchased the bedding? I have a ten year old daughter as well, and she would ADORE this! As many others have commented, I would paint the wall behind the bed a color (I like the bright pink) and leave the remaining walls bright while. Post some pictures when you finish!
6 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 7:16PM
Rosemarie
I'd paint the bed and table the lime green . medium to light pink walls. Check out vinyl removable wall designs. Maybe the circles for now with a big zebra and tree as well, These are great way to decorate any room and change easily. There are many sites that carry them,
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 7:45PM
janishill
White chalkboard painted walls. Then give Gracie a couple of huge boxes of chalk and let her have a spend the night party. What fun! Best of all, you won't have to worry about what color to paint them. :-)
2 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 8:14PM
kelliroberts
Just bought black spray paint for the furniture! Love the idea of the white chalkboard walls. Can I buy white chalkboard paint at Lowes or Home Depot? I've only purchased the black previously.
2 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 8:40PM
kelliroberts
The bedding was designed by a good friend of mine. She does all kinds of designs...just let her know your color scheme and name or initials you want on the bedding! Her website is www.pinkcloverdesigns.com She also has a business Facebook page as well...Pink Clover Designs
2 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 8:47PM
Sarah Verdegaal
Maybe someone has already mentioned it, but if you painted the wicker furniture gloss black it would really make your new bedding pop! You could even leave the walls the green for a great contrast.
2 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 8:48PM
Bonnie
How about the headboard wall painted pink as an accent wall, while the other walls are painted chalk board white...
2 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 9:09PM
janishill
Custom Colors Chalkboard Paint How-To

Start with flat-finish latex paint in any shade. For small areas, such as a door panel, mix 1 cup at a time.

1. Pour 1 cup of paint into a container. Add 2 tablespoons of unsanded tile grout. Mix with a paint stirrer, carefully breaking up clumps.

2. Apply paint with a roller or a sponge paintbrush to a primed or painted surface. Work in small sections, going over the same spot several times to ensure full, even coverage. Let dry.

3. Smooth area with 150-grit sandpaper, and wipe off dust.

4. To condition: Rub the side of a piece of chalk over entire surface. Wipe away residue with a barely damp sponge.

You can frame out an area to paint or do an entire wall. There are 16 cups to a gallon, so you would use 2 cups of unsanded grout.

I hope you will post floow up pictures!
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 9:15PM
Natalie
Hi---LEAVE the white headboard---I suggest painting the wall behind the bed black or black chalkboard and magnetic paint. As for the 3 other walls-have your daughter decide on one color for all three; she'll enjoy being a part of the process and love her space even more. Hope this is helpful. Good Luck!
[houzz=
]
3 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 9:17PM
originalmoose
You could paint a shape behind the headboard, the same shape as the headboard but bigger in an accent color, or even just a coloured ouline.
3 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 9:17PM
Harrut
Hi,
How about creating a design for the ceiling that would work with the bedding colours?
Keeping the rest if the room plain with the pin board as others have mentioned?
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 12:58AM
Harrut
Ps
Someone mentioned inspirational ideas. I like that idea. How about inspiration words to look up to on the ceiling in some form of design? It would be unique and a talking point!
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 1:00AM
PRO
Adolph Interiors
Using the turquoise color of the bedding, paint the walls, then tape off three or so inch wide stripes over all and paint over those areas with varathane to make a subtle shimmery stripe. That will help establish a hue dominance and will hold your design together. With active pieces like you are using good color theory will be your best friend. Your white wicker is fine, use white trim, add the zebra she wants. Really cute bedding.
2 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 5:51AM
lrakestraw
I love your daughter's idea of a few zebra items in this room!
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 7:05AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
I'd suggest the raspberry wall/walls for the room It would work well to highlight the G
1 Like   January 5, 2013 at 12:08PM
judianna20
Lost track of you, kelli, you posted your dilemma twice. :
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 12:13PM
kelliroberts
Just painted the wicker black and I love it! Having a hard time matching the pink...but was able to find something a tad lighter I think will work. Work in progress...
4 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 12:48PM
judianna20
Great. Did you like the black and white pix I posted on your other post? I thought he was a very handsome Zebra!

I don't know if it is my monitor or not, but I am seeing some orange undertones in that pink. Look at the BM more 2009-2012 colors.
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 1:12PM
PRO
Joni Koenig Interiors
white with a soft pink hue
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 1:29PM
kelliroberts
Here's the beginning...
13 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 7:34PM
anthip
Looks fun. What does your daughter think?
1 Like   January 5, 2013 at 7:39PM
otmminaj
I would put another chandelier and side table on the other side and add some wall art a mirror would be cute and will be age appropriate for all ages
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 8:55PM
cyn222
I go with green or pink.
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 9:30PM
evaextee
I love zebra too. I have sheer white zeebra curtains. You could work that around the bed with more zebra accents that she loves and paint the walls white. If she wants bold pink or green, you can use the ceiling. Enjoy.
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 11:41PM
bkdale
Stick to the green yu already have for wall color. It works
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 12:22AM
kmlink
do you have any idea the color the original green? we are looking to paint our daughter's room and she wants BRIGHT green, we are looking for a nice compromise
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 5:04AM
PRO
Decorating Den Interiors - Susan Keefe, C.I.D.
Headboard wall pink: get samples of Ben Moore 2000-40 and 2002-40 and see which is closest to the pink in the fabric - the rest of the walls bright white.
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 5:51AM
orangecamera
I like what you've done with the black headboard and pink wall.

Instead of chalkboard paint, did you know there is magnetic paint?
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 6:06AM
kimberlyreese
Is that PBS Teen bedding? It's really cute!
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 6:33AM
susanfenley
Kelli, Love the pink and black,,,to kmlink....perfect green is ben moore Stem green. Kids and adults love it. Bright, but not garish. Goes with Everything.
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 7:10AM
tinkermom
I would love to know where you got the bedding done, I have three young girls and would like to do the same thing with their bedding.
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 7:52AM
Lorna Patrick
I think if you go with walls that are a lighter shade of pink than what is in quilt, I think it would make the bedding really POP! Then accessorize with the green color (on quilt) which is not so prevalent. The zebra is quite big on quilt, so small items of this print would also be ok, but I wouldn't overdo the Zebra. I would also include a chandelier light (can find these in consignment stores) and paint it white. This will be really nice for this room!!
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 8:12AM
groveraxle
LOVE pink wall, black furniture, bookshelves (and the stuff on them), chandelier. Of course, the comforter is fab. I think it needs one more thing. See the two prints over the fireplace in the picture below. One green, one blue, matching the colors in the bedding, would be the final touch.

1 Like   January 6, 2013 at 8:34AM
TanCalGal
@tinkermom: check out the bedding & other stuff here: http://www.pinkcloverdesigns.com/
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 8:41AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
so are we agreed that the pinnk is the best
1 Like   January 6, 2013 at 9:55AM
Natalie
Pink is my favorite color, but I don't like it for this space. Why? Because it does not coordinate with the carpet color and green wall color. If the carpet was off-white or had an ash undertone instead of a gold one, fine---but such is not the case. Sooooo in order to MAKE it work the green should be changed to more of a turquoise and vibrant hue. Inject the lime green color as an accent. Pic for inspiration. Hope this is helpful. Good Luck! :)
http://www.houseofturquoise.com/2008/10/turquoise-and-pink.html
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 10:34AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
Understanding your point Natalie, yet I do think the white base helps. I would be in favor of all the walls being the same color....Pink
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 10:38AM
decoenthusiaste
SW's Flyway or Verdant could tke you in a different direction. More restful for sleep than anything red based.
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 10:44AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
however, we are working with the red based tone of the G in the bedcovering.....this is a fun space and once the lights are off I believe rest is possible with the raspberry
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 10:49AM
Natalie
I like the idea of an accent wall here-though I would have chosen black and had kept the headboard white. Since both the wall and furniture have now been painted the only way to go is forward---I gave my opinion and suggested what I think best. That is all. I really like the bedding---and the Pink is almost an "exact" match to that of my daughter's room so I do like that hue of pink---just not on all four walls in a room that size... CheerS!
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 10:55AM
decoenthusiaste
SW has Gladiola too if you want to take it hot! Contrasts nicely with Georgian Revival Blue.
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 10:56AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
all good ideas with differing base lines.... I think the size of this space needs all walls painted as there is a bookcase (white) and no doubt a closet and a passage door that will be white as well ,so by using the pink as a contrast .....I see the pink color STOPPING before it has a chance to get started....
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 11:01AM
marilyntobey
I would spray paint the wicker headboard black. It seems to be lost. Black is very sophisticated. A wall color of soft green would be a nice contrast.
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 11:05AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
are we offering too many options? Good design is knowing when to stop......I like my ideas best.....lol
1 Like   January 6, 2013 at 11:15AM
Natalie
Yes I agree Gary---good design is knowing when to stop. Do note the homeowner painted only 1 wall pink-she knew when to stop. LOL! Next paint color?---turquoise... :)
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 11:27AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
lol......Butttttt how can we both be RIGHT?
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 11:28AM
Natalie
It's called COMPROMISE... I didn't get my black wall, therefore you're not entitled to having the entire room painted pink.
Some pink and my turquoise---Gary... Please..... LOL!!!
1 Like   January 6, 2013 at 11:33AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
as I hear the "click"Natalie, I realized I had set myself up for ......."we arent both RIGHT" Gary....lol
1 Like   January 6, 2013 at 11:35AM
Mary OToole
I hate to say this, but I don't like accent walls. I say all pink! It will have a lux feel...only my opinion.
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 12:32PM
PRO
Anita Roll Murals
Oversized zebra print knobs on the nightstand would be fun and break up the black.
2 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 3:09PM
dragon721
Do a wide black and white stripes on the walls.
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 6:48PM
groveraxle
kelliroberts, where are you? Natalie and GARY are having a knock-down.drag-out, the rest of us have your room finished, and you are nowhere to be found. Show us what you've done. We're breathless with anticipation here!
3 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 7:44PM
judianna20
Look on her other post, but you can scroll up and see kelli has painted the wicker black and is going for the pink.
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 7:26AM
ugalien
Hi I love your comforter could you tell me where you got it?
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 10:42AM
pandora3a
Sorry Natalie, but Gary is right about the all pink room! However, "your" gorgeous turquoise would look fantastic on the walls behind the shelves, leaving the shelves white, since Gracie says she wants to have bright accents. I would also paint the chandy high gloss black to really pop against those pink walls. Lastly, Kelli, please consider replacing her carpet or put a cool fluffy rug on top...Gracie's gotta have some glam under her feet, too! It's really taking shape (at least in the comments) and I can't wait to see how it's turning out!!
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 11:35AM
Natalie
Hey my original idea was keeping the furniture White, painting the wall behind the headboard with chalkboard and magnetic paint, and having Gracie choose a color for the 3 remaining walls.
Found a pic as an example-sort of like a "Gary" compromise if you will... :)
No need for an apology-I'm looking forward to seeing it completed... CheerS!

[houzz=
]
1 Like   January 7, 2013 at 11:59AM
judianna20
Holy Cow, guys…kelli has painted the bed black and the wall pink!
2 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 12:04PM
groveraxle
Yes, judyg, and I think it looks great!
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 12:15PM
kelliroberts
I've enjoyed reading all of your comments and suggestions! The chalkboard wall is not out of the picture just yet. I wish you all could see the set up of this room...there are really only two walls with space. The one behind her bed is obviously now pink. We are looking for a print (possibly the zebra photo that was suggested). Above the black night stand hanging from the corner is a white chandelier that was already there. I have zebra print shades and will be putting boa feathers around the rims (per Gracie's request). Ive also ordered a zebra rug for placing diagonally under her bed. Gracie has been totally involved, helped me paint and she loves the beginning stages of this project! I loved seeing her eyes light up!
In the photo you can vaguely see a built in bookshelf. There are two of these with a tall window in between. We tried her bed between the bookshelves previously, but there is no room for a nightstand. I refinished a desk and chair for her that is now between the windows which she loves to use for homework! Needless to say, the only wall space is what's above the window and bookshelves. Her room has a pitch in the center that measures about 18 feet tall, so something on the ceiling is out of the question, but I appreciated your suggestions. The wall across from her bed is small because that is where her closet is.
The final wall is the one by her bed which is majority of the blank space. I found a cool stick on wall quote and was considering a mirror..,maybe the blue or green? I love the idea of the chalkboard, I just don't know if an entire wall of black will be too overwhelming in that small of a room? Was thinking about possibly drawing a big funky frame and making a chalkboard on the inside of that instead of the entire wall. Just wanted to give an update...
2 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 7:07PM
PRO
Marie P. Interiors
I love how the headboard and pink accent wall came out... I would pop the wall some more with an assortment of white frames in different ornate designs with or with out pictures in them.
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 7:09PM
Natalie
Kelli-it sounds Fantastic so far. The best part? Your daughter is enjoying the process---PRICELESS... :)
Love the idea of adding the framed out chalkboard and I also like the frames Marie P. Interiors just posted. Why not a bit of both in the space? A chalkboard rectangle painted on the wall and a wood frame mounted over it...
Looking forward to seeing more. Have fun... CheerS!
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 7:26PM
orangecamera
Don't forget the inside of the bedroom door. How about that painted with black chalkboard paint, and then a full length mirror. So not 'too much' black. You can also get or make chalkboard paint in other colors.
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 8:12PM
groveraxle
Thanks for the update, Kelli. I hope you'll post pics when the room is finished. Can't wait to see the final product. And I love that Gracie is totally involved. She's gonna OWN this room!
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 8:15PM
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.