Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Color for kitchen and family room
farrae
January 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have black granite and oak cabinets in the kitchen. I really like the stainless backsplash and would like to install it. The kitchen also has black appliances. I am looking for a color that I can paint the kitchen and eat in area but also have a second color that I can paint the connected family room. In the family room there is a brick fireplace. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks and happy new year!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Timeless Appeal
Yellow toned oak cabinets are over. I would have gotten stainless appliances instead of black (too much black), but this is what you have, so I would recommend you paint the cabinets a dove grey. Use stainless hardware to match the backsplash. Paint the walls a darker shad of grey and use either a white or off white color for trip. Possibly you can paint the ceiling a lighter shade of the walls. I find wrapping the room in color gives a nice warm feeling. Here's the genius...grey is a neutral color so you can accent with a million different colors that would work! Good luck....but really, do the cabinets. Look at (google) Sara Richardson's work online. She paints the cabinets in many of her kitchen designs.
January 3, 2013 at 1:34PM   
farrae
Thanks. Great suggestion!
January 3, 2013 at 1:38PM   
14thstreet
Here's a before/after that comes to mind when reading your post....
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/289049/Kitchen-Before-and-After-Photos
January 3, 2013 at 1:51PM   
anitajoyce
Can you post pictures of both rooms for a better view of both spaces?
January 3, 2013 at 1:57PM   
farrae
Here are the pictures of the kitchen and family room. They are connected. I recently painted the ceilings and prepped the walls for painting.
January 3, 2013 at 4:07PM   
farrae
Thanks 14thstreet. I am going to look into painting the cabinets. It made such a difference in the before and after pix
January 3, 2013 at 4:11PM   
anitajoyce
Since both rooms ard connected, you could paint both rooms in a nice beige or tan color that is in the brick fireplace.This will give your rooms a nice flow of color. I love the colors in your kitchen and dining room rugs also.
January 3, 2013 at 4:41PM   
farrae
Thanks for the feedback!
January 4, 2013 at 4:51PM   
wmpj
If you don't mind something darker, you could go with Benjamin Moore's Dry Sage. It's similar to the shade of green that is in the kitchen rug.
January 4, 2013 at 5:12PM   
farrae
I don't mind darker. I will check out the color. Also since I do like the colors in the rug I will see what other colors could be pulled in. Thanks so much for the suggestion. I am fairly new at decorating. My mom use to be the decorating genius but unfortunately she is no longer with us. Thanks so much for the suggestion.
January 4, 2013 at 6:10PM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.