Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Bar design
jdkrebs
January 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am building and need advice. I have attached the original bar that builder designed in similar house to ours. I have changed it but wonder what folks think. The cubbies to left of sink are for wine- one bottle per cubby. I'm wondering if the hanging wine glass section above sink is too big and is that in style anymore? Also the tall cabinets to left are for audio equipment. Can anyone offer advice on what to put over cabinets so they can breathe? Builder had lattice which we didn't like. Our style is modern transitional. Any help is appreciated as cabinet guy needs final approval.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Main Line Kitchen Design
Sorry,
I don't really like either design. Cubbies are expensive and will get ruined by water from sink. Wall cabinetry should be symmetrical over the sink. Also why do you need a tall expensive pantry cabinet for the audio equipment, surely one base cabinet would surfice for the equipment. Water will also damage the side of the tall cabinet over time. Take the measurements to a kitchen designer they can be much more creative with the space for less money than this design. The cabinetry in the builders picture looks like expensive inset doors. This always drives me crazy as a kitchen designer. Expensive cabinetry used in a poor design. The design help from the kitchen designer where the cabinetry is purchased is usually incorporated in the cost of the cabinets and so is actually free. Find out where the builder is getting the cabinetry and have a designer help you from that showroom. Speaker mesh breaths and can be used in the door panels that you want either air or sound to travel through. Sorry to be so blunt, but it could be so much better and cost less.
January 3, 2013 at 2:35PM     
PRO
Main Line Kitchen Design
Here is a slightly smaller bar more symmetrical with the sink in the same location. Just so you get the idea. Even with glass doors etc this type design could be way less than the other two, and since you have a longer space, legs fluted columns and other accent pieces could be added.
January 3, 2013 at 2:49PM     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Listen to Main Line Kitchen Design he knows what he is talking about he is speaking the truth.
January 3, 2013 at 2:51PM     
PRO
Amazing Design
I like the tall cabinet but would like to suggest that you use glass or incorporate a curio cabinet. This will give you the flexibility to display your glassware and give you a more modern feel. Also keep the sink off center. this will allow for a more versatile counter space. Incorporate lighting to draw the eye to the items that you wish to display. Hanging stemware is a little dated and dangerous. I might also suggest that you be more creative with the bottle rack. Have a local artist create a unique conversation piece that displays your bottles instead of hiding them.
You have a lot of cabinetry . Would you consider more shelving. Ask yourself how you will utilize the storage space. The cabinets are very standard in their design and construction. Consider changing their shape to a more horizontal configuration.
Also with todays audio componants you may not need much room. You may wish to put them in one of the other cabinets or elsewhere.
There is a danger when the builder is your designer. Builders will often design to make their work easier.
January 3, 2013 at 3:25PM     
PRO
Custom Home Planning Center
You should consider adding this as part of the elec cabinet: http://www.closet-masters.com/Home_Organization/Media_Access_Centers/MediaAccessCenters.htm
I use an exhaust fan with a temperature switch. The fan is in the attic with a back flow damper in the line so you don't need to have visible venting. A couple of felt pads on the door close will be enough for it to pull what ever air it needs quietly.

And yes too many rows of hanging glasses, unless you size them to play a tune. the smaller space over the fridge is more than enough.

Use a single bowl kitchen sink and a faucet with a spray built into the spout.
Depending on the distance to the kitchen dishwasher I tend to add a small size dishwasher.
January 3, 2013 at 3:33PM   
jdkrebs
Ok- all excellent comments. I think I get the idea and have found pic incorporating comments. The larger electronics cabinet will have to remain as electrician already wired in wall....but will see if I can reduce by 1 inch width and will divide into 3 sections with electronics in one part.
But if I go with this look in pic attached for rest of bar, where should i put my sink-- not even sure I can move it based on plumbing- but where is ideal spot I'm thinking that I'll get more counter space with sink offset to left ? Thoughts? And where to put small fridge/wine cooler - which is 24 inches wide.?
January 3, 2013 at 9:42PM   
jdkrebs
Oops- left off pic
January 3, 2013 at 9:43PM     
PRO
Custom Home Planning Center
since left or right is a mirro of each other the sink should go on the side that the sink is closes to the persons it serves.
January 3, 2013 at 9:53PM   
PRO
Main Line Kitchen Design
The countertop is more usable if the sink is towards one side, but I would still keep it away from the wall and completely underneath the center wall cabinet. This keeps some of the symmetry and lets you use the shorter side countertop for glasses drying or ice bucket etc and the longer side top as your work area, buffet or serving station. Left or right is fine, in general right handed people will slightly prefer the longer top on the right side. If the existimg plumbing or electric make one side work better than the other I wouldn't worry about it. Remember too that existing rough-in plumbing or electric lines only need to fall somewhere in the body of a cabinet and don't need to be centered. The electrician or plumber can work around the rough work coming in uncentered.
Cheers,
Paul
January 4, 2013 at 5:24AM   
PRO
Main Line Kitchen Design
Just an aside:
Since you seam to prefer traditional cabinetry from both pictures. I would leave room for crown molding on top of the wall cabinets. Also it is only important that the wall cabinets maintain some kind of symmetry. The base cabinets, bar fridge, sink base etc need not align with the top cabinets at all.
January 4, 2013 at 5:30AM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.