Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Dilemma with curved sofa
skswany
January 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I will be redoing my family room and currently have a curved, leather sofa. Should I use a round or rectangular rug? This is a duplicate post to one added yesterday, only I now have pics attached. The room has a FP, built in TV cabinets, bar on the left (out of view) and 12 foot patio door. Total dimensions are: 24.5 x 19.5

I will be adding chairs, coffee table. Want to keep the sofa.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anitajoyce
A larger Rectangular Rug would work great. Can you angle the sofa so that it is centered in front of the fireplace more? add lamps to the side tables also.
1 Like   January 3, 2013 at 2:37PM
Darzy
I would also get a larger rectangular rug, then get a big round wooden coffee table for the sofa curve.
1 Like   January 3, 2013 at 2:39PM
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Without a floor plan it's hard to recommend what size rug, but definitely a rectangular rug would work, as large as you can accommodate.
2 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 2:53PM
mmilos
Agree with larger rectangular rug.
2 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 2:54PM
PRO
SOFAS & CHAIRS OF MINNESOTA
As the owner of a Furniture Design Studio, my designer most often pair oval or circular rugs with our curved sofas. It really complements the space and draws in accent chairs/furniture so they are appropriately spaced from the sofa. I absolutely love your space as a whole and have two thoughts on the ottoman: 1) if you switch to an oval/circular rug, the ottoman may may more sense. 2) The ottoman may be a little too heavy for the space, and i would try incorporating a slate topped coffee table with wrought-iron legs (in oval, which may be hard to find). 3) I believe the side tables are too high for the seating arrangement. 4) The color of the rug should include some of the warmth of the wood tones from the mantel, but have enough presence to ground the room. Here is a suggestion: http://www.amazon.com/Enoki-Pigeon-Brown-Round-Throw/dp/B008H5AKTQ/ref=sr_1_44?s=furniture&ie=UTF8&qid=1357254438&sr=1-44
1 Like   January 3, 2013 at 3:09PM
skswany
Should all of the furniture be placed on the rug or just the front legs of sofa nd future chair?
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 3:18PM
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Please do NOT use an oval or circular rug in this case. They would look really disturbing and give you a very dated effect, reminiscent of those old colonial braided rugs. skswany, if you would be so kind as to post a measured room plan (to scale) with the furniture dimensions and positions noted, we could tell you exactly the size you need and how to place it. Otherwise, generally, it's best to put all the legs of all the furniture on the rug. Sometimes it's not possible, and you have to have only the front legs on the rug. Sometimes even that is not possible, and the rug floats between the furniture, but this is the least desirable arrangement. The larger the rug, the bigger your room will seem and the more anchored your furniture will look.
2 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 6:48PM
Darzy
Ditto Cynthia Taylor-Luce.
2 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 6:51PM
PRO
When placing a rug in your room, the rule of thumb is to have either all pieces of furniture just on the rug or all pieces off the rug. This provides visual balance, as the rug grounds the room. (Picture: Notice how one of the sofas isn't touching the rug, but the other pieces of furniture are? This makes the room look unbalanced! NOT GOOD)
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 10:27PM
PRO
I agree with Cynthia, please do not use a braided rug!
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 10:28PM
PRO
However, I do stand by an oval or circular rug may be the answer for you, I've my designers have done it over and over in client's homes. Unfortunately, we don't usually have privileges to take photos of private citizens' homes, so I don't have any of our examples for you.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 12:04AM
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
I hate to belabour the point, but I still find that the thought of an oval or circular rug in this room raises the hairs on the back of my neck! I would only recommend shaped rugs like this if they are mirroring the shape of a room. A round rug is really cool in a room like a turret, for example. I can't say as I've seen an oval room (except for the Oval Office in the White House in pictures!) but even then I think an oval rug would be iffy unless it fit perfectly proportionally within the space, with exactly the same border of flooring around it on all sides. A round rug may look ok in a foyer where there's a circular staircase going up, but that's beside the point of this particular room of skswany... In this case, I stand by my opinion that a rectangular rug is the best option, unless a custom rug were made that fit the shape of the room including the corner fireplace. Again, it would help immensely if we had a measured floor plan.
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 6:52AM
feeny
Have to agree with Cynthia and all those arguing against a round or oval rug. Pick a rectangular rug that is large enough for the furniture to sit on.
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 7:00AM
skswany
Here are a couple copies of the floor plan. I hope that they are clear enough to see the detail.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 7:02AM
PRO
I was thinking something more along the this style...
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 7:45AM
PRO
Rectangular, if done correctly, can do the job just fine as well! Good Luck on your rug-scooting escapades!
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 7:47AM
More Discussions
Dining Room help -- paint and wall decor needed?
I need design help! I want my dining room to look "finished"...
need help with bathroom
Does my bathroom tile need to match the hall tile
Need help with for living room like the photo
Need help with more design ideas for living room like...
Closing home for winter
Need help closing down my house for the winter
my ceiling have me stumped
Our new house has these really great ceiling in the...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.