Professionals
Users
Living room
dcconway
January 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Is this room complete?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
caricampbell
What's the style that you are going for in this room? And do you have pics of the other wall (with the white chairs) and pics of the top of the window? Just so we can see how high the curtains go. I feel like something is missing but I think I need to see the other wall.
January 3, 2013 at 2:50pm   
Darzy
Your room looks nice but a little bit too "beige" and little contrast between the floor, sofa, rug and wall color. How about rug with color? Also, some sparkle may be nice. Like mercury lamp (in the corner) and silver/mercury accent on the coffee table? Or clear lucite or crystal? Can you center the art with the sofa?

January 3, 2013 at 2:52pm     
PRO
Custom Home Planning Center
too blond for my tastes. Some blue pillows to reflect the color in the painting would help as wood an up light crown.
January 3, 2013 at 2:52pm   
susanmitch
I agree with Darzy. Love the art- use that for your inspiration.
January 3, 2013 at 2:54pm     
dcconway
this room started out Southwestern....now want calm and soft. Stools are not white...see pictures
January 3, 2013 at 3:12pm   
caricampbell
I like your coffee table and side table that is under the window, but this living room looks dated to me. (I think it's the painting- it reminds so much of the living room in the Golden Girls.) It could just be the lighting of your photos, but the living room looks like it needs a serious jolt of color; the rug, sofa, table lamp, paint and the matting of the artwork are all blending in to one another. I would change the table lamp to be a different color (not taupe or white or whatever color your walls are), get brighter pillows, and maybe a luxurious throw blanket to throw over the back of the couch to bring in color. It can still be calm and soft with color, just choose a color that you love (you seem to like blue, so go with that!).
January 3, 2013 at 3:20pm     
PRO
SOFAS & CHAIRS OF MINNESOTA
A few simple touches and you will be on your way! As a furniture design studio owner, my designers have suggested this:
1) a new overarching lamp in the corner from Lowes (yes, they do have a wonderful lamp selelction!) http://www.lowes.com/pd_409773-44519-TFA9307_4294798232__?productId=3956335&Ns=p_product_avg_rating|1
2) New artwork to replace the torquoise blue paml trees, they look dated. I suggest Creamcicle by Crate and Barrel - it is neutral and will fill any space!
3) Remove the Silk floral arrangement from the coffee table (once again, it looks dated) and replace with a blue-grey tray that complements your pillows.
4) Remove the accessories on the window sill (less is more impactful)
5) Love the drapes, esp. the roman blinds
6) Perhaps paint the top of the coffeetable one of Martha Stewarts metallic colors in the bluer tones that would go with your pillows. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/catalog/servlet/Search?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&keyword=metallic%20paint&Ns=None&Ntpr=1&Ntpc=1&selectedCatgry=Search+All
January 3, 2013 at 3:43pm     
smldesigns
My immediate reaction is that you should have a lamp on the end table on the left and center the art above the left section of the sectional. Also, the rug is too small. Your rug should at least fit under the front legs of the tables, sofa. I also agree that a rug that picks up the color in the artwork would help. Once you decide on the rug, I would head to TJ Maxx or Tuesday Morning for some throw pillow that are feather filled and have some pizazz.
January 3, 2013 at 3:56pm     
memegee
What do you use the room for? I don't see a TV or media equipment. I agree that the room is way too blond and dated (Golden Girls). A rug in a different color (even, say, in blue) would be a huge improvement alone. In your first photo, is the color change in floorboards where the end of the stairs meet the living space at bottom?

A lush (and non-blond) throw over the sofa would also make this room comfy. I could give or take the suggestion of a floor lamp, depends on if you need lighting. But if you do need lighting, I'd go with something homey or even earthy...something with clear crystals or baubles. Bamboo???
January 3, 2013 at 4:26pm   
PRO
SOFAS & CHAIRS OF MINNESOTA
Baubles was what I was going for with the lighting, but I couldn't find a good example. Can you memegee?
January 4, 2013 at 12:06am   
dcconway
I guess I was trying to use some of the items I already have. I think the lighting was a problem and will take another picture today. I tried moving some of the items around to maybe save some money.
January 4, 2013 at 8:41am   
dcconway
Photos taken in daylight....just trying to use what I had to get an idea of what I really need. Money is another issue.
January 4, 2013 at 8:48am   
PRO
Sarah Bernardy Design
If you are going for a very southern southwest look then I think you've got it. Use what you love. smldesigns has my thoughts exactly. If lighting is an issue then look at replaceing the center lamp with a pair of lamps once the artwork is centered, something metal to add a subtle change in texture.
January 4, 2013 at 8:56am   
Darzy
An inexpensive "new lamp" would be just to paint the base of your current lamp one of the blues of your pillow or art. That would "pop" more.
January 4, 2013 at 11:39am   
memegee
Ah, better perspective with those last photos. How about just changing the frame on the picture to something more ornate, silver or mirror-y? And center it over that sofa.
January 4, 2013 at 5:13pm     
More Discussions
Does anyone know who makes this bedroom??
I want this bed so bad and can't find it anywhere....
Please help choose colors for living room
I am looking for ideas to pull this room together....
What color should I paint this or should I leave it?
I really want to paint or refinish this cabinet to...
help decorating mantel
This room always feels cave-lie to me. any advice appreciated....
Contemporary Kitchen Help
I live in a condo and am going for a contemporary design....
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.