Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with Kitchen design
allendalestn
January 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Having a new kitchen put in, thinking of turning the kitchen island to face the sink. We live in North Queensland, Australia, very tropical part of australia, my patio has a balinese feel. Probably looking at a contemporary design
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
A. Peltier Interiors
I think if you have room, turn the island. It looks a little funny the way it is currently oriented....
January 4, 2013 at 7:22pm   
smldesigns
If I understand where the sink is, I would turn the island and make the island much larger without room for stools - maybe a wine rack or wine fridge in it. If you can, you could always put your stove top or sink in the island. If you keep the same layout, you already have stools at the peninsula.
January 4, 2013 at 7:23pm   
cghdesign
Looks like sink is to the left in the picture and you have an extra peninsula space. Remove the peninsula and turn the island. Make it much larger/longer with barstool overhand to both the current peninsula side and right side (exterior door side).
January 4, 2013 at 7:45pm     
mveasey
Most kitchen places offer design services,even if you "build" it yourself. Traffic flow in the kitchen is something very important! Maybe I'm rambling here but lots to consider...please excuse this part if you have already thought about these things:
How many exits/entries into the room.
How do you use the kitchen the most?
How big is the family(seating everybody comfortably for certain tasks)?
How much storage and where (eg. Breakfast area where the coffemaker and toaster sit, plus mugs ,etc), by the way: drawers are more convenient and efficient than cupboards.
You have the benefit of a large kitchen, so lots of options!
It is a little difficult to give ideas without a floorplan or more photos, but here are a few options:
I would take out the little bar on the left and perhaps enlarge the middle island downward (rectangular) to match the proportions of the room and give you more space at your stove, but be careful not to obstruct major traffic paths.
I would keep the orientation of the cooktop,because otherwise you'll be back to back with another person at the sink.
I personally would have some sort of seating in a larger island, not necessarily bar-height, just regular counter height overhang, or simply no cabinets at one spot, so you can push some stools or counter-height barstools underneath.
Common sense tells you, you'll save money by not moving plumbing and electrical outlets, so keeping the sink, cooktop where they are will make financial room for a nice splashback or lighting, a new appliance, etc.
Other question: where is your fridge?
I'll attach a few photos of one kitchen I found, with a more tropical flair and a built in cooktop, but lots of options and advice under photos and Ideabooks here on Houzz
Best of luck from Canada!
January 4, 2013 at 8:15pm   
More Discussions
Trim and arbor paint color, brick home
Recently purchased this 1960s fixer-upper. I'm looking...
Need Help with Updating Exterior - Paint - Change Cement Siding
I want to update the exterior of this house. Right...
Where should I put my cabinet pulls?
Hi, I am going to install 5" vertical Euro pulls on...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.