powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Too neutral and boring? What would you do?
kasiesavage
January 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
The wall above the fireplace is actually herringbone wallpaper painted a pale grey/blue. Remainder of room is Ralph Lauren Seagull Grey. Couch (which is where the photo was taken from) is tweed beige and brown. What other colour could I toss in here?? This is our family room and we have 3 young boys.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Natalie
Sweet potato and deep sage. Look to your art above the FP for color. Pretty room... CheerS!
January 3, 2013 at 4:04pm     
jenpa8
Reupholster those chairs in a velvet stripe with some color: olive green, gold, red, etc. Redo pillows in a herringbone fabric with some texture. Get a square tufted ottoman in a solid of one of the colors on the striped chairs to replace the little bench coffee tables. Get a bigger table with some warmth and heft to go between the two chairs. Add woven grass shades to the curtain panels or if you've got the money, replace curtains with shutters. Paint all walls except the fireplace wall navy but make sure the navy has a hint of magenta so it's snappy and preppy. The whole room will pop.
January 3, 2013 at 4:23pm   
suzih
I think the room looks rather nice. I do suggest a little larger lamp with a more updated/modern shade. If you want some additional color, replace your coffee table tray with a simple brightly colored flower arrangement and a matching accent pillow on the a chair.
January 3, 2013 at 4:42pm     
anitajoyce
I agree with suzih. The room looks very nice. You could add orange , rust, blue or green as another accent color. use these colors in pillows and or a vase, candles or a nice throw for the sofa. A lampshade in a rust color would be nice.
January 3, 2013 at 5:11pm     
PRO
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
I think the room is pretty, the only thing I would change are the 2 pillows on the armchairs....need something with zing on there.
PRO
Design Mode
I would put some mercury glass pieces on your mantle. Then find fuzzy pillows (Urban Barn) and geometric/craft patterned pillows (Pottery Barn) in darker tones of blue (from the wallpaper).
katalist7
I have to chuckle at the post that suggested you basically change everything in the room. Really??? lol:) If you are looking for more color, I'll chime in that accents of sage, navy or rust would look right at home in this room. BUT... I think the layered neutrals in this room are simply beautiful as is. This room whispers rather than shouts. It reads calm, cozy and serene to me- and you'll need plenty of that with three young boys!!
January 3, 2013 at 5:48pm     
judianna20
Very nice room. Agree with choosing another floor lamp. One with a tray would work.

January 3, 2013 at 6:06pm   
peflowjac
Change out your pillows seasonally. Would a robins egg blue pattern type work? Can't tell exactly from the picture. Maybe a pattern rug to bring in a new color, that is kid friendly of course, would be an easy way to add color. Maybe a table top lamp with a fun shade on small table between chairs ( I saw some great ones at TJ Maxx today) and replace floor lamp.
January 3, 2013 at 6:14pm   
More Discussions
POLL: Best Home Security System?
Everyone wants to make sure their home and family is...
Hanging a shelf
What distance would I use between a table and a wine...
Furnishing a rental on a budget!
My husband and I have just relocated to Vancouver from...
Hiding the well head and curb appeal please!
This is a lake house. It sits close to the road as...
Family room with dated built ins
Looking for suggestions on what to do with these built...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.