Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
need advise about window dressings
Mary Smith
January 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
The living room seems drab with only blinds, I wanted to have drapes go from the upper window down to the floor, but the window over the fireplace is making me wonder if it would look ok. (and what to do with it) The living room is small in an open concept condo and a little colorless. Any ideas,
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jenpa8
Don't do that long, skinny, curtain thing. There's a bunch of pics on this site and it just looks odd and emphasizes the poorly proportioned rooms so many are forced to live with these days. Those windows are a good size for roman shades. Ignore the space up top, try to just use it for light and bring the eye down into the human portion of the room by creating a sight line where a normal ceiling height would be.
2 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 4:27PM
shinyspork
I second jenpa8's advice. Those windows are perfect candidates for roman shades. Because you have so much light coming from the upper windows, you could even leave the shades down 3/4 of the height of the window indefinitely and not sacrifice the natural light in the room.
1 Like   January 3, 2013 at 4:40PM
PRO
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
Well you could not do the long skinny curtain thing or you could do the long FULL curtain thing. One panel each side of the fireplace,coming from the top, very full and pulled back above the lower windows would certainly add a lot of drama and color. It will however cover most of the two side top windows and part of the bottom windows. Leave the center window alone.
Otherwise as the others have suggested some pretty roman shades on the lower windows and hopefully you don't even notice the top windows.
I've never understood why builders do these double height rooms. As well as being difficult to get to, the windows never look right to me. I imagine that any window coverings you have on the top are motorized/
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 5:09PM
ckanters
Wow your space has some wonderful natural light. I would suggest that you first pick some colours for the wall. I would use three colours from the same family. I would use one for the walls, one for the inside of the tv cabinet and one to paint out the fireplace. If you could post a few more pictures of the space that would be great. I would just like to see the floor and the furniture so I could suggest some specfic colours.
1 Like   January 3, 2013 at 5:16PM
Mary Smith
I did have Merlot sheers up on the lower windows ...half on each window swagged. Just thought I needed a change. The light is great and the blinds can angle so the sun is where you want it in all seasons.I like the vaulted ceiling and think it would look funny without windows up there. When you live in northern Canada you need lots of winter light as well. I will take more pictures and post them later.
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 10:44PM
onthefence
My first thought was actually a very tall vertical triptych on the wall behind the sofa.
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 11:00PM
Mary Smith
This is what my old curtains looked like, it was very bright outside so they are actually a darker shade than what the picture shows.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 2:02PM
Norma Sassone
Natural fiber Roman shades would look great. I feel like the mantel and surround on the fireplace need to be painted white to match the moldings or a rich brown like the shades to give some contrast to the architectural details.
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 2:10PM
Mary Smith
I do like your Idea ... however this is a condo and we also angle the venetians for privacy. The first two Ladies suggested the same thing, but I thought of something to go over the venietians
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 4:13PM
PRO
LM Designers
Ignore the top windows, that would just look to weird all the way down.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 4:16PM
Mary Smith
maybe offthefence was right about changing the picture? Although the advice I wanted was for some kind of curtains or drapes??
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 4:19PM
PRO
The Seventh Element Design Group
I would definitely recommend beautiful floor to ceiling drapery panels!!! Will make a room elegant and complete. No roman shades please, we need to highlight the architectural feature, not to make it look like a regular space, and trust me - you will not sacrifice the light, still be plenty . Please see attached photos of my previous projects.
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 4:30PM
PRO
The Seventh Element Design Group
High ceiling window treatments
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 4:33PM
More Discussions
Adding a feature wall
I have a cozy room with fire place (the den) that...
I need help with accessories and arrangements in living room. I have l
Please help me with table arrangement and book shelf...
basement needs style!
We have a large basement area that needs style help....
Need a little handsome to balance with beauty?
HANDSOME & BEAUTIFUL: Link, Houndstooth, Wingtip, Oxford...
Our new sunroom.
Walls are a light gray with blue tint. Chairs are...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.