Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help for my kitchen remodel
strawberry101
January 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I’m planning on remodeling my kitchen and would like to hear options to make it look better. There are couple of things I don’t like: the island, the cut corner (where the range is currently is) and the oversized window. See attached pictures. The kitchen is in the corner of an L that extends in one side to the dining area and the other side to the family room. I was planning to completely close the kitchen window since I have plenty of light (2 windows in the family room and 2 in the dining area). Would that be OK? Also I would like to change the shape of the island but not sure what to choose: a pie, a rectangular a square or an L shape. Any idea is welcomed. Please help!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
strawberry101
more pictures
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 5:38PM
strawberry101
So sad, no one expressed any interest in my dilemma :((
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 2:06PM
Darzy
I'll jump in! Are you planning on gutting your kitchen or sprucing up? To answer your questions, I would NOT cover up that window. Natural light is the very best and it looks like you have enough cabinet space. I would leave the island on that angle, but make it a rectangle. I actually like the corner for the stove. It's not usual and adds character. I'd suggest just painting the cabinets a swiss coffee and add hardware. A silestone quartz for the counter/island, a pretty backsplash and add a couple pendant lights above the island. You need window treatments for your spaces. : )
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 2:21PM
robertdoster
I just refreshed my mom's kitchen, and her kitchen was similar to yours. We painted her main cabinets an aged, or ivory, white from sherwin Williams (we love their paint), changed the hardware to aged bronze, and then painted her island cabinets a matte black. Super easy, cheap, and a huge change. I say keep the window...natural light is always the best
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 2:22PM
Darzy
Here is what I had in mind. White (cream, Swiss Coffee) updated hardware, a pretty color backsplash and a quartz counter. This would look fabulous in your home.

0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 2:29PM
Dar Eckert
Kitchen examples
San Rafael, CA Kitchen From Traditional to Contemporary
Mahoney Architects & Interiors: A spectacular old farmhouse
A triangualar shaped island work well for serving and seating. The location of the range could be on the island or you could move the refrigerator over to the right but you will loose a lot of storage. Is the door next to the frig a pantry? If so I would move the frig to the pantry cabinet location and put pantry cabinets in place of the walk in pantry. I put in pantry cabinets instead of a pantry with a door and got alot more accessable storage space.

As far as removing the window, I wouldn't it still provides light and ventilation and if you put cabinets across that wall it would get very dark.

Good luck.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 2:29PM
Darzy
Here is a more tradional looking with knobs. You could change out one of the cabinets with glass fronts. Also, under cabinets lighting shining on the glass tile would be sparkling!

0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 2:34PM
Sue Ann Stevens
Have you considered replacing he bullnose stucco look on your island? I love the ivory and black combo with perimeter one color and island another. Just painting the cabinets and adding hardware would do wonders.
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 2:44PM
PRO
Stefanie Zanow- Kitchens Plus
I totally agree with the corner range...here you loose a lot of storage and counter space. I don't know if I would close the window off completly, but possible having a smaller window would be fine. Because you have an open space the island shape can be endless...Take a look at some of the work I have done with the different shape islands on my website at www.stefaniezanow.com...maybe something off of that would hit you with a concept. Take a look at the preliminary design concepts on my website.Hope this helps
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 2:44PM
Sue Ann Stevens
I would not close off the window at all. It's right at your sink and to close it gives the cook nothing to see ;-) take it from someone who was forced to stare at the wall when doing dishes for years.

Are you planning on replacing the tile counters?
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 2:46PM
PRO
STUDIO MB
Whats behind the angle wall?
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 2:51PM
PRO
City Cabinet Center, San Diego
You mentioned that want to close the kitchen up...Is there any particular reason why? I think the kitchen looks fine as part of an open room concept. The island shape, however, is not my favorite. I would suggest something more traditional. I also like Stephanie Zanow's idea of the dual height island. That way, you would keep your seating area, keep the work space in the kitchen and also hide any dirty dish look from the living room. You probably know this already, but I would suggest to change the counter tops to a stone material, either quartz or granite. Also, keep the window. There is no need to close it up. How are the cabinets holding up? Do you think they could use a paint job?
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 4:12PM
Darzy
I personally would NOT do a dual height counter or add the stove to an island. It totally messes up your buffet counter and creates a level not comfortable for dining or buffet. Your sink and stove is "away" from the island.. thank goodness!
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 12:05AM
Dar Eckert
I have a two level penninsula with the range in the pennisula. I love it. We eat most meals there and its great to be there while someone is preparing food. Good for conversation. Instead of staring at the wall while using the range I face windows and view. Had both and prefer not facing wall.
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 7:39AM
strawberry101
Thank you all for your comment, It's really helpful! The idea behind closing the window is to have more space for a dual built in oven. I love baking and cooking and the oven I have have is not enough. The door near the pantry is the access to the garage. The space corner behind the range now (corner) have the piping from the bath upstairs. The cabinet are going, I'm planning to replace them as we'll as the tiles. I personally do not like 2 tiers (levels) island. I do entertain a lot and I use the island as buffet like Darzy suggested. I will not put the sink in the island unless I have no choice!
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 9:56AM
strawberry101
This is what I had in mind if I do not close the window. But again, not sure where the other appliances/sink will go.

1 Like   January 5, 2013 at 9:58AM
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 10:38AM
Darzy
At first I thought a rectangle island but after looking again, I think the 1st picture triangle would be best for your space.
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 12:21PM
strawberry101
Thank you Darzy, that’s my favorite too. But now, if I have the two widows with the range, the double oven on the wall where the current window is, should I keep the refrigerator where it is now and put the sink beside it or put the sink where the actual top range is?
Is it worth it to spend more money to relocate the pipe in the corner to have more counter space?
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 2:01PM