Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Decorating the fireplace mantle and accesorizing
shellface1
January 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I need help coming up with the perfect piece of art for above my fireplace. The space would hold a piece up to 41 wide and 31 tall. I also need help with e 13 foot wall opposite the fireplace.

I am also fearful that the rug was too dark. I am awaiting a dark brown leather couch instead of the white one. Help!!!! A few accessories might help me as well. Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
smldesigns
I would put the chairs closer to the fireplace with side tables on the outside of the chair, not the fireplace side. Then move the sofa a little closer to the fireplace and hopefully you will have enough room to put a narrow console table, dresser or buffet on the blank wall with two candlestick lamps or two hurricane lamps or maybe one nice lamp. If you do a console table you could put two small ottomans or benches underneath for additional seating. As for the art - a lot is going to depend on your budget. Your taste seems pretty traditional (love the rug) so I would look at the pics on this site for fireplaces and see how they are staged. I think one nice picture with two hurricane lamps or a few candlesticks on the left and some other object on the right of the picture. A quick way to deck out your mantle is to find about 5 of the same objects such as topiaries and start going to galleries to choose your art. Another place to look is Etsy.
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 6:03PM
tennisanyone
First, I Would try the couch facing the tv and the two chair across from the couch but not blocking the tv, almost to either side but still on the rug. Turn the coffee table too. The room needs color. I would get drapes in the same color as the rug or a color that is in the rug that you like. A piece of art above the fireplace instead of the small frames would bring it together. Not a bad start. Just some tweaking.
1 Like   January 3, 2013 at 6:08PM
smldesigns
Agree about the draperies - I would go with a linen in the background color in the rug - By the way - love your ceiling;
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 6:12PM
shellface1
Thank you! We are actually awaiting ivory and beige silk striped valances for the windows selected by our decorator at Ethan Allen. The floor plan is tough as the room is open to our center hallway and to our kitchen. There has to be a lot of floating furniture. I agree that I need some color, and as I just returned our rug (it was defective), this is my opportunity.
Thank you - we love the ceiling, as well.
Thanks for all of your suggestions.
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 6:26PM
susan53021
I have a vase with sticks on mine and it looks beautiful
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 6:35PM
houssaon
If you get a new rug, how about one with green and brown, or blue and brown, even red and brown or a color in the new drapes. With your new sofa, that should look great!

Instead of the photographs and the glassware on the mantle, I would get a great oil or watercolor landscape: T.A. Wolfson Design and Beverly Hills Family Dwelling. I would put some colorful pottery, boxes and other objects over the TV rather than photos. On the wall behind the sofa, create a photo gallery of all framed and matted pieces of your favorite shots in black and white or sepia: Eclectic Family Room and Decor by Jennifer Inc

I like your furniture arrangement now. Love the room and the detail. Please repost when you get the new sofa and drapery. Good luck!
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 6:51PM
PRO
persian home decor
Persian home decor in Nashville TN offers great selections of hand knotted OUSHAK rugs with antique washed soft muted color looks at very low affordable wholesale prices. Selections can be seen on wesbite www.persianhomedecor.com
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 6:57PM
pcmom1
Go to a great local photographer and have a family portrait done. Can't think of anything better!
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 6:58PM
shellface1
This is our family room without the rug and views of how open it is. I appreciate everyone's suggestions.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 10:52AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
For art you should check out local galleries and artists. If that doesn't work Etse.com it has an amazing array of choices direct from the artists.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 10:57AM
decoenthusiaste
Local university art professors and students can be a great source of custom art. Check out museum gift shops too. I wouldn't put any seating with its back to the FP or TV unless it was a swivel chair that could flex to watch either. Agree that sofa could face TV but would want the two chairs facing the FP and the TV end of the room open. Bigger on the rug so you can pull it more to the center of the room and not leave a big gap with the hearth.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 11:02AM
groveraxle
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 11:12AM
tennisanyone
After seeing the above floor plan, I still suggest trying the couch facing the fireplace and the two chairs facing the couch into the room but not blocking the tv. That way you can see the tv and the fireplace. Can't hurt to try it.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 5:33PM
amymc16

I really liked this mantle .....an idea!
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 5:43PM