powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help deciding what to do with fireplace!
oscarisrael11
January 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We've just purchased a house and are looking to do some work in the living room to help liven it up. The previous owners of the house painted the fireplace the same color as the walls which makes it blend in with the rest of the living room. Should we consider rocking it? And what about the shelves on the sides? We are planning on pulling them out and having new ones custom made. The green carpet is coming out, as well.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
oscarisrael11
This is the full view of the fireplace. Also, what do y'all think about mounting our flatscreen above the mantel once it's all said and done?
January 3, 2013 at 6:22pm   
luv2naach
You can keep some colorful painting above the fireplace and candles or photos depending on your style on the fireplace. The painting will really brighten up the space
January 3, 2013 at 6:22pm   
PRO
Showcase Decorators, Design & Remodeling
Come on Baby Light My FireplaceX2
By Showcase Decorators, Design and Remodeling
15 photos

Tile over the existing with split face slate
January 3, 2013 at 6:39pm     
Peg Silverwood
The mantle appears to be out of scale. Is it possible you can replace it? If not take it of. You have plenty of shelving with the book cases so You could add some beautiful large art in that space. It appears that it is brick that has been painted over, You could paint it a warmer color that would compliment the floor color. The white is quite white, toning it down with a cream or almond color could very soothing painting a little lighter shade than the fireplace. Making it a focal point.
January 3, 2013 at 6:50pm   
smldesigns
I assume you are moving the TV as long as you are rebuilding the built-ins. I would take down the mantle and extend the hearth and the sides of the chimney with drywall (hearth with another material) and put on a proper 3 sided mantle. Then reface the fire surround with tile, brick, etc. and do the same with the hearth. I believe you will have to at least extend the fireplace so that you have the right amount of fireproof material on the surround. Then do the built ins.
January 3, 2013 at 6:53pm     
PRO
January 3, 2013 at 7:05pm   
oscarisrael11
The mantel will be replaced, as well.
January 3, 2013 at 7:11pm   
PRO
J Maness Designs
Here is an idea; this picture shows the before & after. This was done all cosmetically without compromising the structure of the masonry fireplace. You may still use some sort of veneer stone to cover the rest of the way up.
January 3, 2013 at 7:18pm     
mwbpaperboy
Loose the cabinets, paint the walls a darker color, have mantle the same color as walls, but use matte sheen on walls and semi-gloss for mantle. Then put art on walls, and decorate mantle.
January 3, 2013 at 7:31pm   
syannaccone
If its at all possible, I would first bring down the fireplace step so that its level with the flooring. Then I would tile or remove the brick look around the fireplace itself. Unless you are planning a built in with ample space for the TV, I would suggest mounting it above the fireplace, as others have suggested (flat screen tv that is). If you do plan on making a built in with TV access,I would suggest a bookshelf to display books and decorative accents with the top section lending itself for a pull out flat screen tv. That would allow for proper placement and adjustment of the tv to suit the needs if the individuals watching. However, my preference would be above the mantle. What flooring are you putting in, in lieu of the green carpet?
January 4, 2013 at 4:58am   
careforcat
The shelf over the fireplace is definitely what's making it all look imbalanced. I would either remove the shelf or replace with a full mantle, with sides down to the hearth. I also like the idea of the TV over the fireplace.
January 4, 2013 at 7:46am   
fairviewbonnie
Make sure the tv you place over the fireplace can be hung that high without compromising the picture clarity.
January 4, 2013 at 8:04am   
Natalie
Hi---like both of these looks for you. Went traditional/transitional instead of contemporary---have no idea if that's your style, but if not then cover the FP with any material (glass, SS, porcelain, etc.) and have it running horizontally rather than vertically, (you already have enough vertical height because of the 2-story FP)... Whatever you decide, do wrap the same wood of the custom built-ins right across the facade of the FP for the mantel...Good Luck![houzz=Great Room 1][houzz=Great Room 2][houzz=STonehedge Exteriors]
January 4, 2013 at 8:04am   
oscarisrael11
We're thinking about replacing the green carpet with either beige-colored carpet or dark wood flooring.
January 4, 2013 at 9:18am   
Helene Susanin
since the fireplace is central, I would definitely extend the cabinets all the way to the wall and match them on both sides. Place the tv over the fireplace, by all means.
January 4, 2013 at 9:39am   
PRO
House of Rocks
Stone would be a great way to make the fireplace the centerpiece of the room. Nice natural stone would look great
January 4, 2013 at 9:47am