Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What you you do with this kitchen?
Theresa Shafer
January 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I'm thinking: paint cabinets white, dark countertops, switch the oven & fridge places, get rid of the island.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Natalie
Hi---white cabs, dark counters, bye-bye island---Hello peninsula-Maybe??? Your kitchen/space is larger than the pics I posted, but the layout and adjacent spaces are alike... Hope it's helpful. Good Luck!
[houzz=Classic Black and White Kitchen 1][houzz=Classic Black and White Kitchen 2]
January 3, 2013 at 7:16PM     
Micki Samson
Biggest deterrent for me is that the fridge is right next to the ovens! Maybe a bright or colorful backsplash to add color. I never like to see good wood cabinets painted if they are in good shape
January 3, 2013 at 7:17PM   
Natalie
Forgot to mention new SS appliances-maybe a slide in range and forgo replacing the wall ovens. You could use the space for an open-shelved pantry... [houzz=
]
January 3, 2013 at 7:25PM     
Tricia Elkinton
Have them painted white. A professional. They take the doors and drawers to their shop and paint the frames on site. The wood is still wood. It's just painted. You'll love the kitchen in white. Just keep in mind that you will need to have them repainted or touched up if you are lucky (no kids :)) in about 5 years. If the appliances work... keep em. The island is too narrow. I love the previous pics.
January 3, 2013 at 7:33PM     
mwbpaperboy
You WILL regret white painted cabinets in a kitchen!!!
January 3, 2013 at 7:40PM     
hmckay125
I like your thoughts of high contrast - I see white cabinets, black or charcoal countertops, and a pop of color for the backsplash as Micki said above. White cabinets do require the occasional wipedown, but well worth it in my opinion. I have two small children, three dogs and a messy husband and it's not a major deal to keep drips and such wiped off. 5-10 minutes every couple of weeks.
January 3, 2013 at 7:51PM     
Ruth Felice
I dont know your style but definitly light try mushroom with a glaze or cream tone.you could go two tone
the counter could be like your table top would be more casual.if you like country try wainscotting or subway tile for your bacsplash.get rid of the island ,go peninsula with stools for secondary seatingI would also put comfy small colorful seating near fire place
January 3, 2013 at 8:33PM     
syannaccone
White cabinets and dark tops looks great but be careful what your getting into because dark countertops show every grain of salt and every mini sculling bread crumb. You'll find yourself constantly wiping them down. I would suggest you replace the island top with dark and the rest with a sandy color that incorporates dark spots. If you are using granite you might want to look into Giallo Ornamental it's a great color with lots of dark grains that doesn't show off every crumb. Good Luck!
January 4, 2013 at 4:46AM   
syannaccone
*minuscule
January 4, 2013 at 4:48AM     
feeny
Just want to add a counter-opinion to two cautions you have received. First, I've lived in houses with white kitchens for the last 20 years and love them. I've had no problems with upkeep. Second, while it is true that very dark, highly polished granite counters tend to show spills more, dark counters with matte finishes do not. In our white kitchen we have almost-black soapstone counters (which always come in a matte finish) that do not show every crumb or spill. So you might look into honed (rather than polished) granite if you are leaning toward black or charcoal shades.
January 4, 2013 at 4:56AM     
syannaccone
That's a great idea! I love white kitchens, always had them, no issues with cleaning but we did have polished Antique Brown (beautifully rich) island granite tops and it was horrible. Literally every grain of salt appeared it was impossible to keep looking clean. Unpolished may be a much better option/solution.
Another option for cabinetry is an off white or weathered look if there is a concern with white..just a thought.
January 4, 2013 at 5:03AM   
joanina1
Your kitchen looks almost exactly like mine ( minus the island) when we had it built 12 years ago. I hesitated to paint the oak cabinets because they still look good. We changed the counter top to a black granite with a brown/gold fleck in it. It looks amazing with the cabinets. We painted the walls Deer Granite (Benjamin Moore). We get lots of compliments on the look.
January 4, 2013 at 6:00AM     
sheltiegirl
Wow, the adjacent room has a gorgeous fireplace! Please don't ignore the beauty of this space in your overall kitchen redesign. Is it going to remain a breakfast nook or become a sitting area? I would remove both sets of pendant lights blocking your view from the kitchen and the shelf the tv is sitting on. Hang a large, framed mirror horizontally over the fireplace, and add flameless candles in varying heights (Restoration Hardware used to offer a set that was 6 pillars long and electrified for easy on/off). Add a rug to warm up the tile floor.

The hutch and table don't quite fit with the fireplace and modern materials you are planning for the kitchen. If you are keeping a table, consider a new one. Remove the tv or place it somewhere less conspicuous: on a side wall where the hutch is or in the kitchen underneath or behind a cabinet (it looks out of place in a dining area). If you are converting the area into a sitting room, then I like the peninsula idea with bar seating and a small love seat or individual chairs for flexibility in room arrangement.

In the kitchen, add some uplighting and under-mounts above and below your cabinetry to brighten up the dark corner. Add a pullout bin to a lower cabinet to store your garbage and recycle cans out of sight. Great idea to move the refrigerator where the ovens are and go with a slide-in oven. If you chose a good convection model, they often can handle just as much food simultaneously as two standard wall ovens. Consider relocating the microwave to a sidewalk where it is out of the sightline. And puppy(?) would probably love a comfy floor pillow in the nook to the right of the fireplace so he/she could monitor everything going on from the ideal vantage point!
January 4, 2013 at 6:16AM   
sheltiegirl
* oops sidewall, unless you like cooking on the side walk, lol!
January 4, 2013 at 6:20AM   
Marilyn Wilkie
The width of the kitchen space seems too narrow (8'?) for an island; unless it is the very narrow butcher block island that iKea sells. I'm thinking you have some traffic problems in there. I also feel that peninsulas are not very traffic friendly, especially when cabinets are hung over them. I like your idea of painting the cabinets but agree a professional would be able to do a more professional job of it. Do you really need two ovens? They make wonderful microwave/convection ovens now that can take the place of having three separate ones. We have matte black laminate counters and I love them. They have a clean look design-wise. The other thing you may consider is a counter depth refrigerator...less like "the elephant in the room".
January 4, 2013 at 6:37AM     
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Hi Theresa!
I too like your idea of white cabinets with a dark counter top. If you do decide to get rid of the island, I like Natalie's idea of adding a peninsula, if I were you I think I'd miss the usable counter space the island provides, and a peninsula would be a nice way to divide the kitchen from the dining area/breakfast nook. I would keep the appliances as is, they seem to be fairly new and in good shape, and they match. If you do keep them, just make sure the white paint you choose for the cabinets matches the appliances well, mixing shades of white can make one surface seem dull or dingy even if it's not. For the counters, I would choose something in the same color family as the flooring, just a few shades darker. You don't want the floor to look like a forgotten part of the new room. I can't tell exactly from the images, but it looks like a light greyish/beige. I like silestone in Gedatsu (pictured below). Then for the backsplash, you can do a mosaic that brings all your different surface colors together. Of course monochromatic backsplashes are always a classic look, too. Below are some tiles from are site. Just some ideas, good luck with your design!
January 4, 2013 at 8:08AM   
Ann Taylor
I painted my outdated very dark cabinets white and added a black counterto and I love the results. It never goes out of style.
January 4, 2013 at 2:25PM   
lovelylornahamilton
If you are planning the appliance move, consider putting the range/oven in the island and moving the fridge behind it. That would free up the wall for either cabinets or knock it out and add a bar/ breakfast area. Or you could make the island the center point and turn it so the range is close to the sink and have a longer counter top, splurge on the granite and have bar stools on the other side.
January 6, 2013 at 4:26AM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.