Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Too small of a space...
danno02
January 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
My living and dining room are very small. When you walk in my front door there's no entry way and the width of the room doesn't really fit a chair and couch...Need help!!!!!!1
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ruth Felice
flip your table sidewayand have you thought of a bench by the windows a lso get a sofa table to separate the roomvisually not spacialy.Im not sure about your lighting over the table seems to bright,it needs shades or a newer modern like crystal with a lampshade 2 rugs 1 for each area to visually separate.I also see a window in the mirror dont know the size but 2 clorful tub chairs with a small roun table betwen them would be nice,also move your mirror to the door wall and get art or your favorite pictures with the same frame color and different shapes and sizes
1 Like   January 3, 2013 at 8:51PM
danno02
Thank you so much...Should I go with the two chairs instead of the couch? Also, should I go with a cream or white chairs? Thank you soooo very much!
1 Like   January 3, 2013 at 9:44PM
PRO
Welcome Home designs
Do you have any more pictures of the living room area? Is there a TV etc?
1 Like   January 3, 2013 at 9:54PM
kimholland1
No tv. Ithe tv is in the other room. I wanted this room to be more elegant. I will post more photos
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 8:33PM
kimholland1
Here's some more photos...Thank you so much!
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 8:49PM
kimholland1
Here's the rest of the photos..
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 8:51PM
bhelmore
Lighter colors on your furnishing would make the room look larger. Instead of the heavy ottoman, please think about a glass table.
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 8:59PM
smldesigns
Turn the table sideways as someone suggested. Put the loveseat under the window by the door and use the trunk as a coffee table. Put a runner from the front door lengthwise to give the appearance of a hallway. If it fits put the round table next to the loveseat and the lamp on the other side. Then you may have room for two small slipper chairs opposite the loveseat. If you could replace the armoire with a console table with two small benches below (extra seating) and your mirror hung vertically above it. Maybe put the storage bench at the end of your bed. Good luck.
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 9:04PM
janishill
It looks to me like you have a family room in the back. If that is the case I would use this space for a dining room and create an entry by using book shelves to the left of the door as a divider.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 9:07PM
kimholland1
yes, I have a huge family room. Do you have any suggestions on what kind? I want this room to look elegant!
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 9:23PM
janishill
Take everything out except the table and chairs, amoir and the rectangular mirror. Add a bookshelf room divider. The two little pictures are too small for the room. The crucifix doesn't work if you want the room to look elegant.

Found this: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/friday-fire-sal-1-33760 so maybe you can find that room divider or something similar.

The drapes are to short. Perhaps a band of solid color could be added to the top and bottom to extend them. You need a nice rug as well.
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 9:31PM
spunkychic
I like the idea of putting the couch under the window. Seat against the wall. Having the small seat in the middle of the room divides it too much. Use the truck as the coffee table. Do you have a leaf in the table? If so, take it out. And take the table cloth off. The more visual space through the room - the better. The armoire is gorgeous, but visaully, it is too large in the room. You will gain another 2 feet in the room if you have somewhere else to move it. Anything you can do to simplify the room, would be best and make it look larger.
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 10:10PM