Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
too small room to decorate..help!!!
danno02
January 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Not sure how to decorate this room. I keep buying furniture and it doesn't fit. The dining room and living room are really small.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Dexter Sykes
Hey, here is the small furniture for small spaces with big selection! - http://www.ba-stores.com/!/furniture-for-small-spaces
January 3, 2013 at 9:13PM     
danno02
Thank you - I will check it out!
January 3, 2013 at 9:47PM   
anthip
I know this sounds totally lame, but have you measured out every space in your room? I have various room and space measurements saved on my phone so if I'm out and see something I like, I can look it up there and then.

Also, I cannot say how helpful it is to cut out shapes to the size of stuff you like so you can look at the floor plan. We just moved into our place and modelled tonnes of furniture using the boxes the moving company left behind. It was really helpful.

In a small space you need stuff that's multifunctional. For example, we have two tables that can be used as low side tables or fit together to make a coffee table. In my old apartment I had a coffee table that you could lift the top and store things under. You could also spin it round and open the top to be double length and use it as a low dining table (with some floor cushions for seating). Or ottomans for seating with a tray on as a table? Multifunctional is the way forward.
January 3, 2013 at 10:19PM     
diyjames
Anthip has great advice. I think you should think about the look you want in the room by looking at lots of pictures. How do you want to feel in the room? Go from there...casual, formal? Before buying more stop to think carefully. Think about pieces for a long time. Maybe weeks or months and then get the item. The greatest piece of advice I learned was that there are many great things for homes that you may love, but they may not work because they don't fit your style. Look at idea books and photos on houzz to get a feel for your style and decluttering and multifunction pieces go longer than you think. For example, a round pedestal table with leaves is great because it is small until needed. If you don't use some pieces, such as the large black chair, maybe a smaller accent chair may work. Don't despair.
January 4, 2013 at 12:58AM     
diyjames
More pictures would be helpful but minimize what needs to have floor space, which is a premium. For example, replace the floor lamp with a wall sconce or even a plug in wall light. Maybe a small section with the longer side on the right would work better than having the couch and chair.
January 4, 2013 at 1:01AM     
diyjames
It's hard to tell but the room looks a bit dark, especially with the chairs being camouflaged with the floor. A large bright rug to give the are a pop may help.
January 4, 2013 at 1:03AM     
rkq903
I think a smaller, round dining table will save on space and still seat four people and if it has a leaf, up to 6 fairly easily. If money is a concern, try looking on Craigslist for a table. I have seen tons of them lately in my area.

I also think that lighter looking furniture will help, such as a chair or love seat that you see its legs instead of solid all the way to the ground.

Like the previous commenter said, more pictures will help for specific design ideas :)
January 4, 2013 at 1:18AM     
charleee
Oh, your space has so much potential! I would love to get in there and start moving stuff around, it just looks adorable. Please post more pictures, and keep the dog, how cute!!!
January 4, 2013 at 1:23AM     
kimholland1
Thank you so much for the help. I want this room to be the elegant room. I use to have white carpet and we recently changed to dark hardwood floors so I need lighter furniture. . I will attach the photos on my next blog!
January 4, 2013 at 8:23PM   
thefinerdesigner
Your furniture is beautiful but it is a bit too large and chunky for the space. Try a round glass-topped table for the kitchen so it visually disappears (the chairs can stay). Try a slipper chair or smaller-type chair where the existing armchair is. You could even put two next to each other and they can be moved around as needed (assuming you have room to walk by them). I don't mind the loveseat if it coordinates with your new chair(s). The mirror also should stay because it helps to expand the space and doubles the amount of light in the room. Good luck!
January 4, 2013 at 8:40PM     
kimholland1
I agree it's too large for the room...what kind of chairs do you think? I have purchased so many pieces that haven't fit in this space. Here's more photos...THANK you so much for your feedback!
January 4, 2013 at 8:54PM   
kimholland1
olldbobbi - you are more than welcome to come and move my furniture around :-) The dog stays, though. lol!!!
January 4, 2013 at 8:55PM     
kimholland1
last one...
January 4, 2013 at 8:57PM   
Rosemarie
There are tables that are low coffee table but can unlock and raise to dining height. Many class A rvs have these that have double usage, look at a RV supply site. Then arrange sofa and 2 chairs on either side. Swag the chandelier to above the table in center of room. Use oversized sconces on either side of your round mirror above the sofa. In another open wall space hang two or three wall shelves.Put silver photo frames and glass or mirrored candle operas or sticks on the shelves. On the coffee/ dining table put large hurricane lamp, crystal bowl and couple books with small plant on top. Hang thick sheers from silver and glass finial rods installed at near ceiling height, puddle on the floor. Put desk and chair in dining area. WALLA elegant living/ dining room!
January 4, 2013 at 8:59PM     
originalmoose
Place the one armchair on an angle in the corner where it is, and the other facing the dining room on an angle beside the door.
January 4, 2013 at 9:01PM     
janishill
First, I would like to see pictures taken standing at one end looking toward the other from both ends and from side to side as well.

Second, take everything off the wall behind the dining table. Hang the large rectangular mirror there instead. Hang it so it is centered over the table and no more than 6" higher than the back of the chair.

Turn the loveseat so the back is toward the door to creat an entrance. Move the amoire to the wall where the loveseat was.

Keep the dog. :-)
January 4, 2013 at 9:02PM     
originalmoose
Like this? With the small table between them and the lamp behind the chair in the corner if possibke. Pull the table away from the wall/window and put your cabinet at the other end of the room.
January 4, 2013 at 9:04PM     
originalmoose
Or better yet, switch the dining room table with the two arm chairs...or turn it sideways and put your sofa wher the arm chair is in the middle of the room and put the two armchairs like the diagram.
January 4, 2013 at 9:07PM     
originalmoose
I was confused with your pics. Sorry! Put the sofa in front of the window by the door, place the armchair where the sofa was.
January 4, 2013 at 9:09PM     
originalmoose
Use your trunk as a coffee table.
January 4, 2013 at 9:09PM     
originalmoose
Though I think switching the living room and dining room would work nicely.
January 4, 2013 at 9:11PM     
originalmoose
Put the sofa under the round mirror, the armchair in the corner of the stairs and back wall. Use the trunk as coffee table.
January 4, 2013 at 9:12PM     
kimholland1
It's a really small space but here are the photos...I love the idea of changing the big mirror to the dining room table. If I move the couch toward the enterance door, it's a pretty tight squeeze...would it look funny if I just put chairs in this room?
January 4, 2013 at 9:13PM   
kimholland1
more
January 4, 2013 at 9:14PM   
Rosemarie
add rhinestone collar to pooch and put him on the sofa ;)
January 4, 2013 at 9:14PM     
kimholland1
lol!!! He would like that!
January 4, 2013 at 9:16PM   
thefinerdesigner
Here is an example of a slipper chair (from overstock.com - $99). And by the way, I agree that your walls are also a bit too busy. Remove the flowers from the back wall and the pictures on either side of the mirror. The more open wall space you have, the larger the room will look. :)
January 4, 2013 at 9:17PM     
kimholland1
originalmoose - I love your ideas but do you think it would be too much for people to walk into my home with the table right as you walk in...is that what you are recommending. I love the two chairs by the window...LMK ...thank you so very much!
January 4, 2013 at 9:18PM   
janishill
No. Chairs only are a great way to go.

I hope you saw my post on your other thread about just using the space for a dining room. :-)
January 4, 2013 at 9:19PM     
kimholland1
thefinerdesigner - are you recommending putting the chairs where originalmoose recommended? LOVE the chairs!
January 4, 2013 at 9:20PM     
originalmoose
I wasn't sure if it was the entrance door or not. Yeah, that would feel awkward. If you could get another chair like the one you have and remove the sofa, you could always pull the dining room chairs over if you put the armchairs like the drawing.
January 4, 2013 at 9:21PM     
Rosemarie
Love finedesighn chairs suggestion and u only need about eighteen 18" to walk around furniture
January 4, 2013 at 9:25PM     
thefinerdesigner
You could put one or two of the slipper chairs where the existing armchair is. I personally think the loveseat/couch piece is fine where it is. Now that more pics have been posted, the 2nd slipper chair could go across from the other one next to the front door with a small side table next to it with a basket on top to serve as a "drop zone" for mail/keys, etc.
January 4, 2013 at 9:29PM     
thefinerdesigner
Another idea to add more seating is to get a console table for in front of the window next to the front door. Place two sturdy storage ottomans underneath that can be used as extra seating when entertaining.
January 4, 2013 at 9:31PM     
thefinerdesigner
Here are examples of the sofa table ($109 on overstock.com) and storage ottoman ($124 on overstock.com). Being stylish doesn't need to be expensive. :)
January 4, 2013 at 9:36PM   
kimholland1
Wow..thank you for the photos!
January 4, 2013 at 9:47PM   
Jeannie Nguyen
Hi danno02! Any updates on the place? Would love to see some photos!
June 7, 2013 at 9:02AM