Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Cottage reno!
billybastien
January 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We just bought this cottage and want to make changes in and out that can make it look really better! We like small changes that have a big impact but any idea is welcome! More pictures to come!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
billybastien
January 3, 2013 at 9:31pm   
houssaon
I love the color of the siding and the roof. Great front porch. Wonderful setting. Are you going to add on?
January 3, 2013 at 9:41pm   
apple_pie_order
Gorgeous spot. You might consider painting the brown shed building the same red and white as the main cabin. Beautiful setting. For fire safety, review the local recommendations for how far away to keep the trees from the house.
January 3, 2013 at 9:51pm   
billybastien
Thank you for the quick answers! Any project is welcome including an add-on. I will re-start the discussion to get more answers just to advise you. Here are some more pics if you have any ideas please post them! We wanted to add windows to get a great lake view if that can help you give us inspiration!
January 4, 2013 at 7:09am   
fabia
I like the outdoor art!! Bravo. The sky is the limit. Larger windows would be great. A covered screened in porch instead of the current gazebo. What is that big fireplace? do you smoke meats? I like the rustic qulaity of this cabin. The red is fun, and distinctive. How much are you willing to put this fine cabin through? Thats your answer.
January 4, 2013 at 7:23am   
billybastien
Thank You! You have very good ideas that will make us look at it from a different standpoint. The big fire place is a franklin wood stove that people used to put in homes years back. We can do big renos as much as small renos we just want to renovate to make it better looking!
January 4, 2013 at 7:51am   
decoenthusiaste
Wow! Great little vacation spot! Are you planning to live there full time? I ask, because I manage vacation rentals much like yours for owners who want their vacation property to pay its own way. You can see one of them at www.cavecreekcabin.com. Looks to be a great fishing spot and maybe winter sports on the lake. Does it freeze solid?
January 4, 2013 at 8:01am   
billybastien
Hello, no we are not staying there full time. Yes, it is a fishing place and a great place to do winter sports (skating on the lake, sliding, snowmobiling, snowshoeing,etc.)
January 4, 2013 at 8:30am   
billybastien
But we do not want to rent the place, sorry!
January 4, 2013 at 8:32am   
fabia
In terms of renovations, adding on to the right side , a good place to add family style room, or great room. Add some height and allot of windows. Definatley a fireplace. But this is a nice cabin, as is.
January 4, 2013 at 9:20am   
PRO
Aesthetic Tile Imaging
Fabia,
RE you comment on outdoor art - please see my Houzz profile page - Comments?
January 20, 2013 at 2:42pm   
sealedesign
Is this house in Canada? Just wondered because I've seen some places like that there.
January 20, 2013 at 2:57pm   
billybastien
Yes it is in canada, province of quebec!
January 21, 2013 at 3:57am   
kitasei
I'd start first with an analysis of its energy efficiency and potential for saving. Nothing is more enjoyable than being warm while you look out huge windows on a snowy scene. You might also think about physically tying the house to the lake with a walkway onto a dock. If you have rights to use the water itself, you could have a charming boat house with portable heat right on the water.
January 21, 2013 at 4:16am     
billybastien
Ohh I like that idea! Thanks!
January 21, 2013 at 4:18am   
ispeakwhale
If this were my place (:D and I sure wish it was)...

In addition to some things already mentioned, I would paint the brown building the same color as the cottage, and match the window/s to the house. I would consider connecting the 2 buildings with a glass solarium! It would be amazing to sit in when it is snowing! As far as materials/framing and style, I would consult with an architect. Something to this effect -
http://www.nanawall.com/photolibrary/project_detail/Glass-Room-3/65702#.UP4QD6UTslI

I wouldn't mess with the house, except maybe replace the wood porch with stone, but keep the style the same, unless to coordinate with a solarium.

Lucky you to have to make such decisions!
January 21, 2013 at 8:13pm   
John Seiffert
I would replace the T-111 siding, which doesn't last (in the Mid Atlantic area at least) and put in clapboard siding. Apply consistent trim around doors and windows and paint or replace that awful aluminum storm door.
January 21, 2013 at 8:59pm   
John Seiffert
Apply boards to make round porch posts square.
January 21, 2013 at 9:01pm   
John Seiffert
I would apply trim boards to make round porch posts square.
January 21, 2013 at 9:04pm