Professionals
Users
Need help on living room.
Christine Ramos
January 3, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Any suggestions for our living room?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
cguigan
I would paint the wall behind the sofa a deep aubergine (it looks like the room gets really good natural light) and buy some new cushions/covers in tonal colours with maybe a hint of gold or bronze to give it all a lift.
January 3, 2013 at 10:47pm     
Darzy
I like your artwork. I think the end tables/coffee tables and lamps are too small for the sectional.
January 3, 2013 at 10:58pm     
PRO
Unique Space Lift Staging & Redesign
Love the art work, the sectional... If you changed the rug it would give a totally new feel. Rug with very little or nopattern. In a light beige colour.
January 3, 2013 at 11:29pm     
PRO
Welcome Home designs
I love your style!
I agree with the previous comment - your rug commands too much attention.
If you don't want to replace it then I would suggest a large coffee table. I would also add more cushions to draw the eye to the sofa.
Perhaps drapes that had a subtle print would also work.
Check out the attached photo for more inspiration.

January 3, 2013 at 11:53pm   
January 4, 2013 at 2:26am     
groveraxle
Beautiful room. I think the rug is perfect. I would definitely do a larger coffee table, maybe more substantial lamps. You might consider painting the walls a shade like the lightest color in your rug.
January 4, 2013 at 4:41am     
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
I would also suggest switching out the tables for larger ones. They are dwarfed next to the sectional.
January 4, 2013 at 5:27am     
Christine Ramos
Thanks everyone for all your help. I've been looking for a big coffee table but I haven't had any luck. I'm going to paint the walls.
January 4, 2013 at 10:44am     
thislittlehouse
I think the rug is very nice, but it certainly becomes the focal point as is. Pick out one of the less dominant colours from the rug to use as a paint colour, and for cushions and ornaments. Maybe the olive-y green? This will help tie everything in together.

I love your art work too, but they seem lonely on those blank walls. A richer paint colour will likely help with that too. I would start with just doing the wall behind the sofa - you could leave it as a feature wall, or if you love it, continue with the other walls.

I just painted a small section of wall in a chalk board paint. I can't get over how much I love the dramatic black paint! (All the walls in my house are white, but now I'm a convert!) I just blogged about it if you want to see pics? www.thislittlehouse.com.au

:) Elise
January 4, 2013 at 2:11pm   
Christine Ramos
The art does look lonely hahah. I'll post pics once I'm done painting. I like the chalk paint you used in the kitchen I'm so going to do that.
January 4, 2013 at 2:21pm   
Norma Sassone
Yep, needs heftier tables and lamps for the size of the sectional. I like your pillow colors on the couch. Are you brave to paint an orangey red behind the couch to match and have that awesome painting pop? Rug is ok, but I think a more flecked berber design goes with the feel of the room.
January 4, 2013 at 2:25pm     
Norma Sassone
And, oh, maybe a comfy white throw over the left arm of the sofa to lighten up the brown a bit...
January 4, 2013 at 2:29pm     
charleee
Oooh, maybe that wall in red ochre! [houzz=
]
January 4, 2013 at 2:32pm     
Norma Sassone
And finally to anchor the brown and to go with your Asian Art. an end table chest and/or Chinese Chippendale table. HAve fun!
January 4, 2013 at 2:37pm     
calikym
Add brighter colored rug, like the pillow. Needs some color.
January 4, 2013 at 2:39pm     
decoenthusiaste
Paint with SW7595 Somelier on an accent wall, a nice purple, wine, eggplant color with lots of brown in it.
January 4, 2013 at 2:45pm   
tabithashayla
Keep the white walls but change the curtain, You have so many pretty redish hued accent pillows, so try for a redish hue for the curtains, it will coordinate with the brown.
January 4, 2013 at 3:59pm   
Mary Bert
I like your style...all I would do is pick a wall color you love...something warmer and more substantial and just adjust your carpet so that it fits your chair too...I just think it's moved too far back to the wall...would give it a bit more balance...
January 4, 2013 at 4:01pm   
Linda Anthony
add color to the walls/drapes - hang drapes to the ceiling - larger end tables, but do not match - larger coffee table but like fabric covered coffee table which could be used as a stool/bench as well.
January 4, 2013 at 4:03pm   
tabithashayla
Or better yet go with a taupe or cream color for the walls and find some curtains with redish hues.
January 4, 2013 at 4:05pm   
caricampbell
I love the art, and I like your rug. I would paint the walls a color similar to the light medium gray(?) tone in your rug, or one of the gray tones from your art. If you paint your walls then your curtains may pop better, but if they don't then I would get darker curtains. I agree that a larger coffee table would fit the proportions of the sectional much better. I also think larger lamps with more color contrast would look better than what you currently have. Maybe a lamp in the yellow, green, or red that you have in throw pillows- something to bring the colors together in the room.
January 4, 2013 at 4:10pm     
Linda Anthony
agree that rug is too close to the wall - couch only needs front two legs on it and then it will pull the chair on it further - again, chair only needs front two legs on it as well.
January 4, 2013 at 4:11pm     
PRO
LM Designers
Love the couch, looks comfy. Nice big area to furnish so go with bigger coffee table etc....
January 4, 2013 at 4:14pm   
Linda Anthony
one more decorating 'standard' tip - end tables do not need to match and should be higher than the arm of the chair/couch to which they are used. It's hard to set down a drink when you have to navigate over the arm of the furniture! Would make your lamps higher too which will add height to the room, along with raising the drapery rod to the ceiling!
January 4, 2013 at 4:14pm   
Jo Prince_Gillies
I think the rug is probably a bit to big for the room and coffee table to small, to over come the mat problem chairs probably just need to be aligned more, if you want a new look maybe update the bali look everyone has this look now and it can make rooms look dark and heavy maybe new cusions and throw to match the rug and maybe a new bright wall print, Its all $$ I know but some times a throw , cusions and a simple painting can totally change your look.
January 4, 2013 at 4:16pm   
Beverly Holiday
The coffee table is too small....maybe glass or a large ottoman
January 4, 2013 at 4:16pm     
Angela Himmer
Turn the sectional so its facing the window. Keep the carpet. A larger coffee table, maybe oval glass top. Curtains need to be changed to a brighter colour, pick a colour from one of the toss cushions on the sofa, a copper rusty/orange, or even a tweed darker red based. The wall with the large painting needs colour, a mossy green or the green that's in the carpet. Also the lamps are too formal, find lamps that have a lot of texture, bamboo, linen or dark brown funky base.
January 4, 2013 at 4:17pm     
PRO
Smilow + Mathiesen
I think the room is looking good and even though I also like the painting, I find it is not doing anything in that space because it is the wrong shape--too square when the wall demands a horizontal. . A long horizontal piece w
Is an elegant shape and would do much better there--dimensions a little less than the existing piece up and down and across spanning from the middle (halfway) of each end pillow. Mirroring the the size of the wall is a good rule when choosing art.
January 4, 2013 at 5:26pm   
flooey
The comments about the lamp and coffee table are correct. Should be bigger. Maybe a large modern floor lamp behind the sofa in the corner that arcs out and would take up some of the space of the wall.I think the rug is fine.
January 4, 2013 at 5:49pm   
Jackie Ideson
It needs color! Put some color on at least a focal wall. It also needs larger end tables, much better lighting and a more impressive coffee table! Kick up the pillow colors!!
January 4, 2013 at 6:23pm   
Teri Fortner
I found these on a few sites I know of so changing end tables and coffee table would be good . Found a matching set for end tables and coffee table even has a tv stand and shelf unit. I am not much into teal but thought it all looked good together wish you the best !!!
January 4, 2013 at 6:42pm   
babzie933
I like the sectional and the pillows, and I don't mind the rug. What I immediately felt when I saw the pictures was that a warm color on the walls would cozy it up. I tend to go toward the buttery yellows, but a nice warm taupe, or even that orange color of the pillow on the sofa would be nice. I agree about the larger coffee table or ottoman and some larger lamps that make a little more of a statement. The drapes you have now would look nice with any wall color. Don't forget to let us see the final result!
January 4, 2013 at 6:56pm   
PRO
Cyndie Jerome Design Inc.
Add a BIG coffee table or ottoman and switch out the cushions for cream and tobacco tones and invest in beefier, lined cream wool drapes.
January 4, 2013 at 6:59pm   
PRO
Cyndie Jerome Design Inc.
one more thing ..... change the lampshade for a slightly darker neutral, linen drum shade
January 4, 2013 at 7:00pm   
PRO
Chic Alors Decor & Design
Why not try centering the sectional on the wall, wallpaper or paint that wall to create a focal point. Invite the single chair in to make a conversation area and consider adding a second chair with it? A larger coffee table, introduce a different element, oval glass shape, (Bowrings) and switch up the rug. Add texture with accent pillows and harmonize your colour pallette. Beautiful floors!
January 4, 2013 at 7:05pm   
caricampbell
Also, you could put a throw blanket like this one (gold color) over your brown leather club chair- that would add more visual interest, tie in the gold in the painting, and make it more luxurious.
January 4, 2013 at 7:06pm   
Teri Fortner
Here is another idea I could do a million ideas for you love doing this !!!
January 4, 2013 at 7:17pm   
tabithashayla
I would consider painting the wall, but the couch is way too dark. If you paint the wall, you should go with light tones, or even a nice shade of green. You would need something to mellow out the color of the couch.
January 4, 2013 at 7:26pm   
Teri Fortner
Heres two cheep ideas for coffee tables you could stack another pallet to make the coffee table taller and then for the crates you could use one crate on the side for end tables
January 4, 2013 at 7:28pm   
angieo54
Larger Coffee and side tables, I would then paint one of the walls in a tone like the sofa, maybe not as dark, The Curtains could be a combination of the those colors also. Either the rug is to big or its not positioned correctly. I thing that every thing is kind of in the corner and not using the space.To up against the walls. The home looks a lot like Australian style with the Asian influence.Kind of cool and minimal.
January 4, 2013 at 7:39pm   
Charla Haggard
I like a more intense color for the walls. Spice or nutmeg color. Recover the accent pillows and use the same fabric on two of the pillows and use that same fabric in the draperies. Then add more substantial end tables, lamps, and coffee table. Try to choose unique pieces. I would change the rug to a lighter color with little or no pattern. The room has good bones and the art work is fabulous!
January 4, 2013 at 8:48pm   
PRO
Jayne Ferguson Stanley @ iPro Realty
All the above ideas sound good...I like the more colour, on the walls, a warm deeper colour and a more vibrant curtain with accent pillows to draw together...a subdued plainer carpet, larger coffee table with definition and larger interesting lamps with texture,
January 4, 2013 at 9:02pm   
jingstad
What happens to the corner when the Christmas tree is gone? That seems like a big space to fill. I'm going to suggest some changes in the furniture arrangement. Move the sectional to the opposite wall and more centered on that long wall. Hang both paintings together on the wall above the sofa. Move the chair to the opposite side of the window. Then move the tv and the console to the long wall opposite the sofa. You could put tall bookcases on each side of the doorway into the dining room. A sofa table with benches under it could go behind the short end of sofa. Place a lamp on it to serve the table and the sofa. Replace the coffee table with a large coffee table or ottoman. The draperies should be a darker neutral color in a nubby texture and be hung all the way to the ceiling. Pick two accent colors for the pillows. The walls could match the lightest color in the rug. Keep tree in same place. This arrangement would balance the room more. Also open up the window as it seems too cluttered in that space.
January 4, 2013 at 10:12pm     
PRO
Zainab G. Bayati
turn the set anticlockwise for the longer seat to face the window. paint the walls,keep the picture,change the curtains to a fuller ones, then get a larger and interesting coffee table...i like the colors you already have on the sofa..:)if you have some more money...i would change the rug...or cancel it altogether. show us the results.
January 4, 2013 at 10:41pm   
Ms. Elizabeth
Dont forget the dining room with a color that compliments your living room too. I love your armoire in the dining room. You have very good taste.
January 4, 2013 at 11:19pm     
Glori DeJure
I agree about the coffee tables, end tables, and drapes. Also if you love the rug, it can work, but yes, pull it out from the wall. For height you may consider a floor lamp beside the sofa..Both color and texture are lacking from this room, so you need a wall color. If you don't want to paint all the walls, pick your focal point, make sure it's a color you love, and GO! Every room I do I start with a color that makes my heart sing.
Take a look at these three rooms, completely different styles due to paint choice. I personally love the color and texture of the first one. The curtains are lend a richness to the navy.
On the second one, notice how the art fits the walls. and the furniture is pulled off the walls for a nice comfortable seating arrangement.

EAST SIDE RESIDENCE

Brookdale Den

Portland Hills House
January 5, 2013 at 7:15am     
Linda Anthony
the trunk could be moved to a wall as an 'accent' area, could stack the books I see to on the floor to the left of the solo chair, along with the two items already there, but include the larger glass 'vase' from the side table beside the chair. - make a 'vignette' of sorts as these are things you already have and apparently enjoy.
Also agree, move the furniture away from the wall - just a bit - adds more interest - hate to see couches etc jammed up against a wall or window.
January 5, 2013 at 9:37am   
Linda Anthony
Rules of Area Rugs: * Rugs under a dining room table should be at least 24" wider and longer than the table, allowing the back legs of the chairs to stay on the rug even when the chairs are pushed out. * Area rugs under a bed should extend at least 18-24" beyond each side of the bed. * For most typically sized rooms, there should be approximately 10" - 18" of bare floor between the edges of the area rug and the walls of the room. For small rooms, approximately 8" of exposed floor is a good rule of thumb.
January 5, 2013 at 5:09pm   
More Discussions
Design challenge, planning around weight bearing walls.
Just purchased a new home and looking to redo the current...
Help me find a paint match to this ikea sivik gray couch
I'm looking for a gray paint that would match (not...
Rug size for living room
Hello, I'm not sure how big a rug to get for my living...
When to think about aging in place?
We are planning a major home remodel, including the...
Need help with layout and furnishing living room!
We are moving into a new house and have a blank slate...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.