Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Stair Landing Makeover
deb jo
January 4, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi, I have had so much help with my other rooms here on Houzz, and feel like I am monopolising the website by posting so often, but its our first house and its the first time we have stairs and a landing, and we have no idea how to decorate or how to keep the space useful but so far not much comes to mind as feasible when I look at ideabooks, because all other landings, look more workable than mine.

We dont have kids, so we would like to keep the area open and airy.

Should I put a sofa on the window? and book cases on the wall? or floating shelves are better? Please help!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
syannaccone
Can you post a picture from the door out to the stairs so we can see the space from another angle?
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 5:28AM
syannaccone
Also what are all the doors leading to?
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 5:29AM
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Deb, no need to hesitate asking for more help! It's a pleasure to offer opinions when they're so graciously appreciated.

I think what disturbs you is that this area lacks a sense of place. It's light and airy but it doesn't have anything that holds your attention except for the view from the window (whatever it is, and it's outside, not in the room itself).

Your wall colour is probably linked to other areas so you probably shouldn't paint it. Besides, drawing attention to the walls with a paint colour will only emphasize the shape of the perimeter walls and "remind" you that there's nothing in the middle to see.

If this space had higher ceilings I would put up a very large light fixture. However, the ceiling doesn't look very high so that won't work. It might be possible to install a couple of interesting wall sconces that would repeat the ironwork on the stairs. These would create a nice atmosphere in the evening when the ceiling lights are turned off. I can't see the whole area from one photo, but I can suggest you put one on the wall to the left of the window and another on the wall adjacent, between the two doorways.

I think that here you could benefit from a really interesting area rug which would ground and define the space and give you something very beautiful to look at.

I'm debating about adding seating here, but if you'd never use it, it seems like it might be redundant. Maybe you could give us the dimensions of this open space, as well as a photo from the other direction? That would help me decide what if any furniture you might want to incorporate.

Some sort of window treatment would warm up the space too. A view straight-on of the windows would also help for better advice on that.

It looks like it's part of a lovely spacious house. Can you post links to your other discussions on other rooms? Or show us what the other main rooms look like? That will help us to know more about your preferred style.
4 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 5:35AM
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Here's a gorgeous rug but I'd prefer it in something more square shaped. I actually can customize rugs to any size and shape so there's always a solution for every space.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 5:36AM
deb jo
Hi syannaccone, I am uploading some more photos. Thank you.

Just to answer. The doors open to bedrooms, so they would be mostly closed. and then to a common bathroom on the far left(not pictured)
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 6:37AM
deb jo
Cynthia for me you are no short of celebrity here in Houzz, so thank you as well :)
4 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 6:39AM
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
LOL, my gosh! You are too kind :)

And you've made my day!
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 6:41AM
deb jo
As you can see the photos are deceiving, its not so big.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 6:42AM
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
I'm heading out for an appointment now, but I'll think about this one and get back to you later. What an interesting space! This house is so different from any I've ever seen, that's for sure.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 6:46AM
deb jo
Cynthia, that was no overstatement I truly feel so and sure many others do as well, all the best with your appointment :)
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 6:48AM
deb jo
The house is a dijkhuis in the Netherlands, and here almost anywhere property prices run on a premium so they are often times odd shaped and not at all huge and awesome :D But this house is sure to become our dream house :)
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 6:50AM
orangecamera
Given the layout, and the fact that the floor is actually below grade level with buildings close by, I think you should put some shades or curtains on the windows. Otherwise when you are in your pj's at night walking from bedroom to bedroom, you'll have all the neighbors watching! I also think this is a great space for lots and lots of large potted plants. Get some with interesting large leaves, and maybe some that flower.
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 6:51AM
deb jo
Its true orangecamera, the house is slanted on a dyke, but we have the plan to make bedroom number 4 our bathroom and as master bedroom room number 1 and the corridor, but for now we will have to live like that and would like to spare the neighbours.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 6:54AM
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
This is a real puzzle, Deb. If you have furniture of any kind here, it's going to be an impediment to your traffic path unless it's lined up in front of the window. And if you have, say, a sofa there, then I wonder if you'd ever sit on it. It would mean your back would be to the view. I found a picture of a piece that might be a possibility: Hillgrove See the lounge-type piece in the foreground? It's a place to perch, and it takes up visual space, which is perhaps all you'd need. Put a floor lamp at the end farthest away from the stairs, and maybe a set of nesting tables at the end next to the stairs. You could have a couple of coffee table books on the top table, with the other tables underneath, until such time as you might want a cup of tea and you could draw out one of the smaller tables and put it in front of the lounge for convenience.

I still stand by my recommendation of a gorgeous modern rug, probably an 8' x 12' (not sure of the metric dimensions). I think the rug should be the "wow" piece and the seat should be nice but quieter.

A couple of strong pieces of art on the wall between the bathroom door and the door to bedroom 3 would make an important statement. They might be black and white pieces maybe with strong black frames. Modern Meets Traditional - Pacific Heigts Living Room 1 Living Room 2
2 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 12:30PM
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
There's also this style (but in a straight line, not an L):
which would work on your landing area...

Deb, this has been fun even though it's twisted my brain into knots for a while :)

What's your impression of these ideas?
2 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 12:32PM
orangecamera
As I look again, I notice the windows have very interesting shapes. If you want total privacy, you could color block the windows - almost Mondrian style. You can probably paint the glass on the inside, or get solid color cling films. If you want *some* view, don't block them all. I'd love to see a picture straight on at the windows, from the inside and outside if possible. It looks like a neat building :)
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 12:48PM
deb jo
Hello Cynthia, your ideas and points are amazing. Thank you!!! I completely overlooked certain aspects of the room, and now that you mention more in depth, I can see it as well, and that's why you are a professional.

I completely agree when you say that seating there would be seldom used if it were a traditional sofa set, as opposed to something more quirk and fun like your photos - red couch is stunning - and I forgot to mention that we have a long radiator there under the window, so would have to put it a bit more forward into the room - more pieces into the puzzle :)

You know its really great to see that the space is a challenge to you as well, it makes me feel not so helpless :)

When you say a rug, would it be only a great rug and a lamp and some art on the wall? without any other furniture?

Elegant living room
Montecito Mid-Century Living Room
Sag Harbor Hideaway
La Loggia
Living Spaces of the IHome
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 12:53PM
deb jo
orangecamera, you ca see the outside view in photos below, its not amazing or anything :) its a house near a dike so there are lots of grass for sheeps and decking for boating and the water traffic and so on... and its not manicured yet, but we will see.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 1:03PM
orangecamera
If you young enough to get up from these, how about pouf seating? They're art *and* seating, and easily moved around.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 1:03PM
deb jo
LOL, I am 26 but that doesn't mean I can get up from one of these, but that is a great idea. I was only focusing on the walls because they are what stare back at us, that I never thought of putting anything on the floor.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 1:06PM
orangecamera
Oh, I think the house is really cool. I'd "color in" the lower curved portions of the 3 windows. Have some fun with it :)
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 1:08PM
orangecamera
Plants and Poufs :)
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 1:11PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
@Cynthia Taylor-Luce See I'm not your only fan. You really are amazing and really give great in depth advise. You did a great job on this one also, as usual. I like the red sofa or the daybed with arms at both ends. I would use this area if it were in my house. I like a place that seemingly has no purpose. I like to be calm in these spaces and feel like I do not need to do anything. It is just a space to let your mind wander and day dream.
Sincerely, your fan Johnathan
2 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 1:25PM
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Well, I am very gratified that the reaction has been so positive! Thank you Deb, and you too, Johnathan, for your very nice comments. Deb, when I mentioned the rug, I meant that it would be additional to the seating piece, whatever the seating piece might be. Deb, I wish I were there in person to source these items with you! Do you think you can do it yourself? If you need more specific help, you can always contact me at ctaylorluce@cogeco.ca and I would be very glad to hear from you.

I also think your house is wonderful! Compared to the mostly boring subdivision homes here, it is a breath of fresh air.
3 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 2:00PM
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
I also meant to mention that, even though you don't have kids yourself, you may in future or you may have guests with children. In that case I would be very nervous about having light, movable pieces that could be put next to the railing and climbed on. I get shivers thinking about the possible consequences of that! Whatever you decide on, make sure you look at it with practical eyes, and think of safety first!
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 2:07PM
deb jo
Cynthia, I am not sure i can do it by myself, really. I will contact you for sure. Also safety is important at home and would keep it in mind as well.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 2:35PM
pco2569
What can i do with this room?
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 10:06PM
rluchinski
For your landing...I love this space! If it were in my home I would put bamboo shades and lots of plants. I would either put a wicker bistro set and no rug or 2 light colored upholstered chairs with a small table between. I agree that some great artwork would make the space. To me this room would be a retreat area. Yes, books! and some lighting for evening relaxing.
1 Like   January 11, 2013 at 5:14AM
cassandrars
Great space! I would do a round sofa or lounge, centered to the larger space. Don't know what your style is, but this a neat piece, youthful with lots of flexibility. http://www.likecool.com/Home/Seating/Sybarite%20Round%20Sofa/Sybarite-Round-Sofa.jpg
2 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 5:44AM
deb jo
Hi everybody, I would like to ask if a Kilim style rug would work on this space? I have two mid-century style blue chairs, so i was thinking maybe I could use them with a cool rug and some accessories.

Then, what would be some cool colours to look for in art as well? Because i have a huge amount of chinese themed prints (although i am afraid of it going too much into eclectic), but I love anything really and would go custom as well.

I already have a red sofa and beige couch on the living room, plus these blue chairs, so would like to keep the colourful upholstering to a minimum.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 2:47AM
deb jo
Any ideas on the style for the table between the chairs? should it be glass, lucite or wood would be fine?

Below are some photos of the stairs. It will be refinished after we are done with the moving of furniture around.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 3:11AM
PRO
Grace Archives
Gallery walls are a classic, yet modern look. I've got tons of vintage art prints that would look great mingled in with your family photos.

www.GraceArchives.etsy.com
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 9:19AM
deb jo
If anyone is still interested :) we just moved in and below are some of my initial efforts with the space. For the windows we are going for white rolling curtains, (soon to hang, as is the art) and we just pulled together some furniture we have, we still are not decided where to go for between the 2 options, but feeling no way as helpless, thanks everyone for all the help so far. xox
0 Likes   March 9, 2013 at 10:52AM
orangecamera
Hi Deb. I hope all is well in your new place. Have you made any decorating decisions? I'm wondering if you decided to use the pair or chairs, or just one? Please post some updated pictures :)
0 Likes   April 11, 2013 at 12:50PM
PRO
WorkSpaces Inc.
Oh, those Dutch stairs! I have friend in Harderwijk and her stairs are so steep! As for the loft, if you want to add a small office space, you can try to find a desk that curves into the room some - or one with a drop leaf so you have a flexible work surface.
1 Like   April 11, 2013 at 2:24PM
deb jo
@workspaces: if only I were rich enough to afford decent stairs in holland :D
@orangecamera, I will post updates as soon as they come, because so far I only slapped those things together to take it from bare naked and haven't gone back yet :D so I am open to suggestions as always ;)
0 Likes   April 12, 2013 at 4:38AM
orangecamera
Hi Deb...since you asked.. :)

I like the pair of chairs. I'd pull them in a little closer to each other away from the corners. And put that cool tripod light back in the corner behind one of the chairs. Add a small table between the chairs. Put a few magazines or books on the table, and a small potted plant (can you get African Violets there?), and you're all set.
1 Like   April 12, 2013 at 6:50AM
deb jo
Hi orange, just a quick upload nothing really major yet but still :) i am still looking for a cool small table to put between the chairs. As soon as i have it better i will let you know xox
2 Likes   May 5, 2013 at 10:40AM
orangecamera
@Deb, it looks very inviting!
1 Like   May 6, 2013 at 6:18AM
pco2569
So sorry this is on my Houzz!...don't know how to delete it from my discussions...
0 Likes   February 6, 2014 at 12:45AM
PRO
LB Interiors
Congratulations in your first home. I like what you've done so far. I would use this space as a library/reading area. I would get a glass or lucite table between the two chairs. Maybe a lucite coffee table. If you want to put your feet up, maybe an upholstered ottoman/coffee table.

I woud place the bookcase on the left of the left door on that same wall. Place a wall of art or photos where the bookcase is now, the entire wall, even behind the other door when it is opened.

I would move the tripod lamp slightly behind, next to the chair on the right. In the left corner, I would hang some floating shelves to place your vases and more books. A large rug as was mentioned by Cynthia.

On the small wall between the two doors, two art pieces stacked. Place the lower one 24-26" from the floor. Choose some art or a rug with color to give you inspiration for the room. Either is a good place to start. Add a couple of colorful lumbar pillows on the chairs.
0 Likes   Thanked by deb jo    February 6, 2014 at 1:28AM