powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help arranging furniture in the study!
sarj81
January 4, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I feel like we've tried everything and we always end up in the same place. We recently moved in and are also looking for ideas for additional pieces, bookcase? Recliner? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
Have you considered a new desk/office system wall unit? It would take up a good chunk of the room, but would provide storage for computer, books, printer, etc. It would look elegant and put together.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 5:17AM
drememon
Nice space. My first reaction would be to move the desk out of the bay window and build a window seat there with storage beneath. Replace window treatments. Place the desk so that the view could be enjoyed while taking a break from working.
3 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 5:51AM
sarj81
That is a great idea! Maybe for the future we can think about a new unit. For now we have to deal with what we have and maybe one more additional piece. Thanks for the suggestion.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 6:40AM
sarj81
I also like the window seat idea and strongly agree with the windows! What do you suggest for window treatments?
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 9:21AM
PRO
Deli Johnson
Instead of blinds,put on a nice colour curtain,it will most likely look better...AS for the space...an old bookcase??
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 10:10AM
PRO
Deli Johnson
Move the desk to a different spot...You can put a chair in that spot!!!
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 10:10AM
melissabaldwin
This room is screaming for a u-shaped or l-shaped unit. A hutch along the back that can house a desktop computer if you need it to hide wires etc. then a desk in front facing out which floats in the space. If you don't need a desktop and only use a laptop you can put a table along the back wall to hold the printer etc. leave the file cabinet where it is, install the window seat and float the desk in front of the back table at a slight angle.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 10:56AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
drememon, is right in their suggestion. The desk you have can work in that scenario. A window seat and new treatments will not necessarily cost more than one new piece. It will also be a good investment in your home.
2 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 11:03AM
sarj81
Thank you everyone! Curtain panels or roman shades??
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 11:39AM
Dustyn Broyles
curtains or romans........I would say both. Put the Romans on the windows and then hang a rod on the outside of the window. If you are confused look up "curtains in front of bay window" on houzz. Then place the desk in the room where if seated there u can see the window to one side and the door on the other. A chair or two for guests And statement art would be great behind the desk. Great furniture wouldn't change it at all. Oh and love the wall color, so cheery. Good luck!
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 12:19PM
sarj81
Thanks Dustyn! I was going for more of a slate, but was pleasantly surprised with the blue! I understand what your saying with the curtains and think that's a great option.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 12:37PM
Darzy
How about a library/office feel? How about floating the desk with the chair behind on the big blank wall? Then, a comfy chair/ottoman with a floor lamp reading nook at the bay window? You could put a credenza with book cases flanking behind the chair, then a nice piece of art in the center of the bookcases with a light above the art. This arrangement, with your furniture...The second photo is the bay window reading nook thought..not this furniture..just for arrangement.
"Her" Office
San Francisco Nob Hill Highrise
2 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 1:18PM
sarj81
Thanks for the pictures Darzy. They help to visualize. I'll try a couple of the suggestions and post new pics. Just waiting for some help bc the furniture is too heavy for me!
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 2:56PM
janishill
Pull the desk out and turn it at an angle so the person sitting there can turn to see out and can see the door. Add pieces as you can; a chair or two opposite the desk, lamps, etc.
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 3:47PM
sarj81
First try at moving the desk. Any thoughts?
2 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 7:41AM