Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
need help with my mantle
dribbles
January 4, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have never been happy with how my mantle looks. This is what I had up for Christmas, and I will attach one with it clear. I have tried numerous things over the years but ready for a change.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
creeser
I think you need a contrast in the alcove over the mantle. You could make a piece out of beadboard and paint it khaki, off white, or beige and but it to fit your arch. That way it wouldn't be permanent. Then perhaps a nice wrought iron piece in the center or a mirror, if you have something nice for it to reflect and a collection of candles like I see on top of your tv cabinet/armoire.
January 4, 2013 at 6:39AM   
Dar Eckert
You could tile the inset area above and around the firebox and replace the with a beefy wood one.
I'm not sure if your brick is gray or brown both of your photos are different. Gray slate would be a good option if it is gray. Mosiac to match the brick would work too.
Fireplace 1

Fireplace 2
January 4, 2013 at 7:24AM     
katema24
Hi,
There is a lot you could do without a redesign. The whole fireplace being the same color doesn't make the mantle stand out or the firebox.
First the metal around the firebox is outdated. Painting the whole box a black matte color including the gold. Paint the surrounding brick area white along with the mantle. You can go to one of the big hardware stores and get a fireplace kit that would include a molding for the sides and/or mantle if you wanted a contrast and are handy with drills. I would paint the entire brick creamy white. Then inside the arch put a very glassy mirror with ornate detail. It would give you a classic period fireplace. As far as decorating the mantel ...you need some height to match the height of the brick. Maybe a small urnlike vase filled with blue, purpley dried hydrangeas. Then put some pics in ornate black frames to offset the white brick.
Good luck,
Kate
January 4, 2013 at 8:16AM   
PRO
Sarah Bernardy Design
First start with what you like and don't like about the fireplace. Often small changes can make all the difference. Less costly changes would include painting out the firebox surround to hide the brass by using a matte black. Make sure to use a paint that is suited for fires. You could highlight the mantel by painting this black then repeating that black with a crown moulding that defines the brick of the chimney. To soften and reflect the arch of the niche area, try finding an accent piece that is round. This could be a mirror or an ironwork piece. Then play around with candles of varies heights, think in 3's as well as an orb or sphere shaped object to soften the lines of the brick. These items should be darker to contrast against the brick. Eventually you could add built-in side cabinets to replace the TV, finishing these in black.
January 4, 2013 at 8:30AM     
Huy Ho
Maybe add some floating shelves to either side will add to the appeal of this wall
January 4, 2013 at 2:37PM   
PRO
Solutions Design & Fabrication
Attached is photo of a project I built and installed over a very similar fireplace. The original brick is untouched underneath so reversal is possible.
January 4, 2013 at 4:54PM   
Dar Eckert
I prefer the brick or a combination of materials too much wood.
January 5, 2013 at 7:32AM     
dribbles
Can I pant this mantle piece off white or Black even if the other trim in the room is oak?
January 12, 2013 at 8:11AM   
creeser
Yes you can!
January 12, 2013 at 8:24AM