powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need ideas for a focal wall at home's entrance/foyer.
cilmas
January 4, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi. I desperately need help with ideas for this focal wall. It is the first thing you see when you enter the house. Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Dar Eckert
What is your main issue with it? I would guess it's the brick color that upstages the art you hang on it. Maybe just painting the brick a solid color would help. You could also tile over it or add horizontal wood.
January 4, 2013 at 7:58am     
PRO
Artful Design Interiors
I would keep the brick - it's pretty. You need a larger, stronger piece of art. Ideally, it would be a piece that sets the tone for your house.
January 4, 2013 at 8:00am     
decoenthusiaste
Yes, stronger art and appropriate lighting - looks like that may already be in place but might need an upgrade.
January 4, 2013 at 8:03am     
PRO
Smilow + Mathiesen
I don't think you need to change the brick but a large vertical painting in warm colors that really fills the wall will look great and be a wonderful way to welcome visitors. Don't be afraid to go big. See example below of large painting on brick wall--(of course your piece will need to be vertical).
January 4, 2013 at 5:49pm     
tennisanyone
I would put a beautiful fountain that mounts on the wall. It looks like a contemporary house so you can do that.
January 4, 2013 at 6:03pm     
groveraxle
I would hang something big and blue.

January 4, 2013 at 6:20pm   
shobercs
I would not put anything on the brick....there is already alot going on in that space.
January 4, 2013 at 6:21pm     
Christine Fletcher
A big mirror with metal finish would be awesome.
January 4, 2013 at 6:32pm   
Norma Sassone
Something striking with a nature theme that fits the organic nature of the worn brick like a sunflower wall sculpture or a unique bird triptych. You want a wow factor when you walk in the door, but the other painting in the foreground will need to be put somewhere else. These are both available on www.etsy.com
January 4, 2013 at 6:39pm   
martha5953
How about a tapestry or fabric wall hanging to bring some warmth to the room
January 4, 2013 at 6:41pm   
cghdesign
A brighter piece of artwork such as Smilows above works . You could also cap the top and sides of the brick with square brushed aluminum matching your pendants and give a more modern look. or if just the painting had a brushed alum frame would help.
January 4, 2013 at 6:42pm     
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
I was going to say what 10SNE1 already said -- a wall mounted fountain. Try saying "wall mounted fountain" five times fast.
January 4, 2013 at 6:43pm   
PRO
Design Mode
Yes, cap it. Otherwise it looks like a road going nowhere in the middle of a great space.
January 4, 2013 at 6:45pm   
thefinerdesigner
How about a modern clock?
January 4, 2013 at 8:05pm     
Eileen
Love the modern clock idea, either of the two round ones above would look great and tie into your railing. I also really like the idea of a round mirror in the same brushed nickel finish.
January 4, 2013 at 8:14pm     
janishill
It isn't the brick; it's the accessories that aren't working. Two things that are out of sync are the wall hanging and the easel. Replace the wall hanging with a gorgeous piece of metal art or even the painting that is on the easel. Or one large rectagular painting a wide brown frame, so the size and shape (though smaller) mimic the door to the left of the wall. And lastly a mirror in a wide deep brown frame that, again, mimics the size and shape of the door would work.
January 4, 2013 at 8:50pm     
cilmas
Wow - fantastic feedback. Love the idea of framing the wall with aluminum! Also thought about a big colorful painting. Thanks to all!
January 6, 2013 at 2:30am   
thefinerdesigner
Please post a pic of the changes you make. Your home looks beautiful and I can't wait to see what you decide on!
January 6, 2013 at 9:02am   
anitajoyce
The colors of the brick is very nice. You could paint the walls in that area a nice beige or cream color. This would make the brick wall a better focal point that it already is. The walls, brick and stairway are similar in color already. I would replace the tapestry with a big picture of abstract art or a big flower picture.
January 6, 2013 at 9:19am