Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need advice on window treatment for split-level basement window
tonjue
January 4, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello! I just recently purchased a 4-level split. In these homes the basement is half underground. There is an odd shelf under the window that is on the same wall as the sliding patio door. There are a total of three windows in this room (including the slider) Our goal is too have this room feel light, and not heavy due to the HEAVY huge brick fireplace wall. We will do curtains on the slider (probably swap out the temporary ones we have up now) we are a bit confused what to do on the other two windows especially the shelf window.

Please let me know if you need more pics to get a feel for the room. I would say our goal is to have the design style be a "soft, contemporary".

THANK YOU!!!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Marcy Holmes
I looked through your ideabook photos and I didn't see a lot of window treatments in any of the saved photos. Maybe you prefer very subtle window treatments, like sheers, glazing, or a short roman shade?

We're trying to replace a similar ceiling fan in our family room. I'm actually hoping to recess a fixture so it won't be so intrusive and when we don't need super bright lights it can kind of disappear into the ceiling. The tough part will be striking a balance so it doesn't look too utilitarian.
January 4, 2013 at 10:23am     
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I would recommend going with a Cellular shade. Its will fit really nicely in you window also there are options like Top Down Bottom Up which would provide you with complete light control over the room .
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/cellular-shades.html
January 4, 2013 at 11:13am     
Manon Floreat
For the windows I's consider shutters. They're really good for light and privacy control. For the sliders, I think curtain panels will provide the softness you want.

January 4, 2013 at 1:39pm     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I see these windows all the time. It is a very popular building style in MN. I like shutters but also like a softer look. If your going for light and soft I would use vertical silhouettes by Hunter Douglas. They will work on all the windows and the door. The vertical lines will help lift the ceiling. Here is a living room done in the from floor to ceiling.
January 4, 2013 at 1:47pm     
Aja Mazin
Interiors International, Inc.,

What a fantastic effect!

The room feels as though it is wrapped in a casual elegance!
January 4, 2013 at 2:22pm   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Thank you I really like it too. The client was thrilled.
January 4, 2013 at 2:26pm   
tonjue
Thanks for the advice, I am new to the site...but already addicted.

I like the idea of a softer look than the shutters. (really don't like shutters) So, a roman shade, or cellular shade would work. If I did that would I do a matching one on the third window? (I attached that window pic now) I would prefer curtains of some kind on the slider as I like the texture and the vertical element.

Which of the three windows (one being the slider) would be different? Or, would they all be the same?

Side question: You can kind of see that we have a sheer on the slider in between the heavier drapes. Does anyone like that two curtain look on the slider? Don't know how I like that.
January 4, 2013 at 2:32pm   
PRO
Viola Interior Design
Hunter Douglas top-down bottom-up shades, affordable, functional, insulating, and stylish!
January 4, 2013 at 2:54pm   
Aja Mazin
Roman shades with verticals for the slider and eliminate the sheers.

Verticals can be made using the same fabric as the Roman shades
January 4, 2013 at 5:07pm