Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help! Need a fun siding color scheme to go with red brick
Eli Riveire
January 4, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We just bought this sweet 1927 Dutch Colonial Revival-ish house, and are mostly in love. What we don't love is the boring and dreary tan color on the siding. We'd like to paint it in some kind of historical color scheme, but are having a tough time deciding what would look best with all of that red brick. Also want to paint the front door some fun, bright color that doesn't look TOO crazy with the rest of the house (a little crazy is ok). Any ideas?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michalin
Brown or gray
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 9:14AM
mbtayloe
A grey cedar shake siding would look great. Then you could do a color on your door for that 'pop' of color.
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 9:25AM
2 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 9:26AM
Eli Riveire
Thanks! I agree, a grey cedar shake would be beautiful on the sides and back. There's some lovely decorative siding on the front (that you can *almost* see in this picture) that we'd like to keep/enhance. But the front could be grey too to match the cedar shake...something to consider!
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 9:39AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
First I want to say cute house. Now on to the problem. The red brick would look great with the grey siding bit I also like cedar with a natural stain. I have seen this with red trim and it looks great and it is a traditional exterior treatment. I would then paint the door green but avoid a Christmas theme green.
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 9:48AM
judianna20
Cute home. I don't think I am seeing Dutch Colonial. Maybe a four square with that Victorian peak added on to break up the front.

I also like grey and taupe with brick, but so do lots of other people. Would you ever consider yellow with white trim?

2 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 10:16AM
Eli Riveire
@judyg Thanks! I struggled for a while to figure out what style it was...I finally landed on Dutch Colonial Revival-ish because, other than the peak, the roof is very much a gambrel "barn" style. You can see it better in the second picture I posted. Also, the floor plan is straight-up identical to this: http://www.antiquehomestyle.com/plans/cl-bowes/1925-1/25clb-14134b.htm . But, it definitely has some other elements to it too, which is where the "ish" comes into play :) I LOVE the idea of yellow and white trim. We were concerned it would look right next to the red brick, but it would definitely have to be the right shade of yellow. The house you posted with the brick stairway looks great with the yellow!
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 12:08PM
houssaon
It would look lovely, if you painted the detail in the siding different colors to highlight the feature. In other words, paint the clapboard in one color and the diamond shape shakes in another and paint the trim in a third color.

Here is a good looking dark gray with brick: Custom Craftsman Home Exterior. The color of the clapboard is "Iron Gray" a James Hardie colored siding, which is close to Iron Mountain 2134-30.

If you did Iron Mountain on the clapboards, I could see the shakes in a lighter gray like Whale Gray 2134-40 with
Monterey White HC-27 on the trim. Instead of Whale Gray, for a warmer palette look at Fairway Oaks 1075 by Benjamin Moore.

Another scheme is Livingston Gold HC-16 on the clapboards with Mellowed Ivory 2149-50 Benjamin Moore one trim. On the shakes, I love the black toned mauve, call Amazon Soil.
4 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 2:23PM
Ramona
[houzz=
]
2 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 2:45PM
Donald
No color suggestion but that's a super cute house!
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 3:35PM
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Greens would be pretty with the red brick Traditional Sheds
Exterior of remodel
regenerative nest
Custom Homes & Remodel/Additions
I like the contrast of the windows themselves done in the dark red. They could also be a lighter version of the body color or even closer to color you have now to pick up the mortar color.
3 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 4:27PM
Darren Hart
What a beautiful place. I'd think a moss green would compliment the brick wonderfully. The color combination in the last two shots from Kathryn Peltier Design would look great as well.
2 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 4:46PM
buetty
Your house is very nice but it suffers from a real wow factor. Maybe a wood flower box running the full length of the windows would add the umph in addition to the new color pallet.
6 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 5:40PM
anitajoyce
Grey house and a green door.
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 5:45PM
lmcnamara1205
I am surprised that no one yet has mentioned going with a pretty blue. I grappled for months over what to do in terms of siding with my red brick. I went with James Hardy siding in Boothbay Blue - a dark greyish blue. Trimmed in white, brown door and the brick pops out for a a lovely, classic feel.
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 5:54PM
pritchkp
Grey with a red door
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 6:09PM
groveraxle
Gray is sharp.

3 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 6:30PM
Norma Sassone
I like the gray green with burgundy trim above.
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 6:31PM
cghdesign
Your home is a colonial revival style. The steep gable out the front is a little different. A grey-blue with a red door would look good and bring the red out in the brick.
2 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 6:33PM
martha5953
Top siding hunter green ... Trim windows in black and do front door red or vice versa
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 6:39PM
wildfan
Moss green siding, darker red door
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 8:22PM
vespa82
cornflower blue siding and pale but sunny yellow door... or the other way around. Or a friendly moss green like wildfan said, but for the door, and a pale yellow for the siding. good luck!
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 9:28PM
aurilla
I would stain (or paint) the shingles a natural cedar color and highlight the beautiful decorative ones in a reddish/orange color stain (or paint) that closely resembles without clashing with the brick to pull the whole house together while accenting the lovely features. Then paint the trim and window mullions a nice bright white and make the door a glossy sunshine yellow, or even a light lime! Love this house...very unique and special.
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 11:46PM
PRO
LUMINHOME OPTOELECTRONIC CO.,LTD
we are manufacture in China , looking for distributor of solar garden light, web:www.oksolarled.com Email: kinglingelectric@gmail.com
2 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 12:43AM
Eli Riveire
Thanks so much, everyone! You've given us some great ideas. It will be a little while before we actually can paint (will probably wait until spring/summer), but I'll definitely come back and do before and after pictures! We move in TODAY and I'm so excited to start working on it!
3 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 1:40AM
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Congratulations on your new home, Eli! It's a beautiful house and you can enjoy it just the way it is until you have time to make the changes you want :-) (hoping the weather is the same for you as it is here: cold but bright and sunny!)
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 6:54AM
lulamarie
Your house instantly reminded me of historic homes in Denver. These homes are probably a little more over the top than you desire, but thought I'd share since many are brick... fun inspiration nonetheless: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jenniferpollock/sets/72157629600516320/with/6996469630/
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 6:58AM
tradder
Congrats on the new house! Good luck with your move-in. Cant wait to see your after shots!
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 7:35AM
Darren Hart
Good luck! Please post some after pictures here on this thread so we can all see what you decide!
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 9:17AM
Jo Hanna
A muted slate blue with a royal blue door toned down a little.
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 3:27AM
sherryclune
I have this same brick. I painted my house a light sage green with black shutters and white trim. My front door is a natural wood color. I've had so many neighbors come tell me what a great choice I made.
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 6:48AM
PRO
Tri R Construction
Ooh your house is cute! I would paint the trim off white and do the house in a olive color or a dark tan. Get creative you can go with darker colors because it will anchor the brick work. Make the trim work stand out, it is really a wonderful design element of the house. The way it's painted now it's getting lost.
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 7:01AM
Huy Ho
Cement hardy board has some bold colors you may like. Best yet the material is mold and fire resistent
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 7:41AM
PRO
2x4 Innovations
iron grey suggested below with white trim. cedar (natural color) shingles in the peak so soften the brick and grey. I love the suggestions from others and only confirming their choices!
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 8:50AM
candacemcgowan
My mom and dad's house had the same brick, the house was painted a red/brown color with white trim. Always looked so nice, and lots of compliments on it.
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 10:10AM
bhelmore
See what you can find on San Francisco's "Painted Ladies" as I think your home would be beautiful in a funky, eclectic colorway!
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 3:12PM
buetty
Try something daring.
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 3:52PM
rendes
My first thought was that you should make the windows black. I am attaching 3 pictures that I think would be a great inspiration. Personally think the second picture would be a great way to do yours. Put in some black window boxes with bright colored flowers for some extra special pop.
Stone Acorn Builders Southern Living Showcase 2012
Exterior
Park Slope Brownstone
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 4:07PM
bothandneither67
I love the idea of olive green with black paint for trim around windows / door. Green will make the red pop, if that's what you want. The black trim will make everything look sharper, more sophisticated and modern. Right now it's bland, but has great potential. I love the idea from a previous person about the window boxes, especially along the 4 on the lower level. This will create the illusion of "bigger" windows from the outside. Filling in the landscaping below with denser hedges and the same flower color will really tie it all together and take the eye away from the concrete base/ foundation. And speaking of concrete, would love to see you do something with the entry stairs. Good luck and let us see the result. Gorgeous home - enjoy!
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 1:12AM
apennameandthata
Congrats on EVERYONE who has gone to so much effort to help you out!
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 1:40AM