Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Mantel help
pattyboone
January 4, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Thoughts on our mantel? Boring? Does it need something else or is this pretty? I'm not sure if the total symmetry of the candlestick is pretty or if it needs different items on each side of the picture cluster.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
khashkes
I love the mantel but I think the candle sticks are throwing me off. I would remove them and maybe put something on the floor of the mantel to fill in some space on the side possibly a vase or different size candle sticks
January 4, 2013 at 10:23am     
pattyboone
Here is another option with a couple changes. I'd return one of the candlesticks and get the 2 smaller sizes so there would be 3 different sizes candlesticks on one side. I'd also add a few mercury glass balls in the trophy to brighten that up.
January 4, 2013 at 10:44am   
mpoulsom
If you want to use the candlesticks, I think they should live together on one side. I really think you need a bigger mirror, or one big piece of artwork to be honest. You could leave the one framed photo perhaps in front of the bigger piece and to the side.
It looks bare on the bottom to me as well. Either a basket, or a plant or something to help balance with the top.
January 4, 2013 at 10:54am   
PRO
Design Mode
Your mantle has formal, classical features, so I would put the casual checkerboard and photo somewhere else. Then add a few tall apothecary jars, ginger jars, or classical decor items. Group like items (your candlesticks) on one side, and a small group of something else on the other side for balance. You could go big with a mirror.
I did a search on this site for formal mantles, and you will notice the simple, minimal, classical items would make the right statement for your room.
January 4, 2013 at 10:56am     
judianna20
Try black iron candlesticks if you intend on keeping the game board there. I have a pair on my mantel and I also used black candles with crystal and pearl bobeches.
January 4, 2013 at 11:02am   
pattyboone
Thanks for the feedback. I agree the mirror is to small. We have been looking for the perfect art work (we are thinking oil painting) for that space but are currently using what we already owned. The ceiling are 12' tall. The top of the mantel is about 5' off the ground. What would you suggestion as a proper size for an art work above the mantel.

Here is a pulled back image of the mantel so you can see the surrounding area.
January 4, 2013 at 11:48am   
PRO
Smilow + Mathiesen
One great piece of art will do wonders for your mantel. Dimensions should be approx. the width of the game board and mirror as it is sitting in the photo or you can also use the fireplace cutout as the width. I can't tell from the photo how high the wall goes up but the painting should definitely be vertical and proportional to the width height-wise.
January 4, 2013 at 5:37pm   
tennisanyone
No mirror over this fireplace. I see the fan. Try to find things that relate to each other or at least in color.
January 4, 2013 at 6:07pm   
Christine Fletcher
You have a lot of wall height you could use items that are a bit larger. I think the mirror is too small.
January 4, 2013 at 6:37pm   
PRO
Chic Alors Decor & Design
Where is your focal point? The fireplace should not compete with the T.V. Keep it simple and to scale. Layer the look by placing a low upholstered bench or footstool right in front of the fireplace, hang an ornate mirror above the mantel with a single vase on one side, pulling colours from your palette, and a group of heavy candlesticks on the other. When you are finished, no one will even notice the T.V.!
January 4, 2013 at 6:50pm   
PRO
Legacy Design
Excellent ideas Chic Alors!!!!
January 4, 2013 at 7:14pm