Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Window Treatment HELP!
tiffanyfrye13
January 4, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello! I am trying to figure out what to do with these windows for a window treatment. There are actually (2) sets of (3) windows but I just took a picture of one set for the time being. They are located in the kitchen. I would love to allow sun to still come through but to have some protection in the Summer to keep the sun from making the room super hot. HELP! :)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Marcy Holmes
We have some south facing windows (5 of them plus a sliding glass door) and we didn't buy them but the previous owner put in these pleated shades that pull up like blinds.

They are colorful on the inside and they are a little lacy so you can definitely see out and a surprising amount of light comes in, but they have a thermal treatment on the back (a flat gray) so they reflect a lot of the heat when they are closed.

Because they are fabric instead of slats, when they are retracted they do not cover any of the window and are not very noticable. They're inside mounted.

This houzz photo shows some top-down bottom-up ones: http://www.houzz.com/pleated-shades
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 10:32AM
tiffanyfrye13
We have thought about putting some Roman type shades up that were fabric.... We instead bought the blinds last Summer because we needed something quick and cheap for the time being. We aren't totally opposed to the idea of roman shades, just thought I might be able to get some other great ideas being that the shades are pricey especially with us having 6 windows to cover...? Might be our best option though.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 10:53AM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I would recommend going with a Screen Shade aka a type of Roller shade in the kitchen. It will allow you a lot of light and there are some available that you can still you view. It is also very durable for the kitchen and can be wiped down easily with a wet cloth.

http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/roller-blinds-screen-shades.html
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 11:05AM
PRO
CellularWindowShades.com
Cellular shades are going to provide relief from the heat, light filtering fabrics will cut heat and glare blocking all light. They also stack compactly so they don't get in the way when you want them open. The amount of light they let through is really dependant on the color or the fabric. You can get some free samples at our site: http://cellularwindowshades.com/samples.html They are also washable which is a great feature for a kitchen/dining area. Not all pleated/cellular fabrics are, so make sure to check before getting any old shade wet!
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 11:06AM
decoenthusiaste
Top down/bottom up shades might suit your situation.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 11:13AM
tiffanyfrye13
Thanks so much!! Do these shades fit the inside of the windows?
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 11:27AM
PRO
A. Peltier Interiors
blindsdirectcanada and cellularwindowshades.om are correct if you really need major light filtration. I would also consider doing stationary panels on the two sides of each set of windows and one in the middle. It will soften the two sets of windows and add some visual interest.
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 11:46AM
Sue Ann Stevens
I love the look of roman shades but when we installed ours inside the casement, we lost about 10 inches of visibility. I hated that. The pleated shades seem like a very nice option for you. One issue with top down/bottom up that I remember from the past is all the tracking on the insides of each window. May or may not be an issue any longer? Or for your situation.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 12:05PM
PRO
Fenstermann LLC
Here are the Top/Down Bottom up shades. They are inside mount, available in over 400 fabrics, and do NOT have strings running in the middle of you view to the outside.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 12:37PM
tiffanyfrye13
Thanks for all the help!!!
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 8:30PM