Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help me update my kitchen on a budget!
karenmacy
January 4, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I need to introduce my kitchen to 2013! I'm going to remove the wallpaper. The french door curtains can also be removed. The cabinets ( unfortunately ) can not be replaced due to budget. The granite counter and backsplash must also stay as they were installed about a year ago. We added trim to the soffits to visually extend cabinets to ceiling. I need suggestions for paint colors for the walls and cabinets. I will change hardware but have to paint the cabinet hinges( maybe bronze hardware is easier to replicate on hinges than nickel?) I'm thinking of painting cabinets white and walls gray but I need your advice to bring it to the next level! Help!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
karenmacy
Sorry the second picture above is the dining room! Here are more views
January 4, 2013 at 11:00AM   
karenmacy
And close up of cabinets
January 4, 2013 at 11:02AM   
karenmacy
Close up of granite counter and backsplash
January 4, 2013 at 11:05AM   
Marcy Holmes
I love the cabinet style and the molding you added.

I think change one thing at a time that you feel sure about and that will show you your next step. For example, paint the walls (which will be a huge update) then decide how you feel about the cabinet color.

This will allow to avoid mistakes, changing things you really don't have to, and you can save up for each section individually.

We were originally wanting antiqued cream cabinets and gray walls but now we're looking at dark gray cabinets and light gray walls (we have no upper cabinets so we can get away with such a dark cabinet color).

From the picture, I think the cabinet color is workable - you may just want to update the hardware.

I can't really see the countertops in these photos but they look darker.

I think a table runner and new cushions on the chairs could help update the space too.
January 4, 2013 at 11:10AM     
judianna20
Change the hardware, and replace the hinges with the hidden ones. Paint the ceiling blue and show off all your blue and white.

January 4, 2013 at 11:16AM     
karenmacy
These are the chair cushions. All of the trim in the house is BM Lancaster White. Would that be okay on the cabinets which are BM Windham Cream?
January 4, 2013 at 11:18AM   
Marcy Holmes
I think you want your trim to be lighter than your cabinets, but I have seen some nice examples where the cabinets are the same color as the trim
January 4, 2013 at 11:20AM     
karenmacy
I love the idea of blue ceiling but the ceiling continues down the hall an into the foyer (picture 3)
January 4, 2013 at 11:21AM     
karenmacy
Marcy, are you saying I should paint the soffits a different color than the cabinets?
January 4, 2013 at 11:24AM   
karenmacy
Any other suggestions with color? Chelsea gray bottom cabinets and upper Lancaster? What color wall? Revere Pewter?
January 4, 2013 at 11:41AM   
Marcy Holmes
I think the soffits should be the same color since it gives you that built-in look - I think I misunderstood your post about the trim and cabinet colors.

I love all those colors, but I would still wait to paint the cabinets until you have made your other desired updates.
January 4, 2013 at 12:38PM     
karenmacy
Thanks Marcy! I appreciate your ideas, working on a budget is so hard when you see all these dream kitchens on Houzz!
January 4, 2013 at 12:43PM     
joffler
I like your kitchen--your house, really. I think updating the hardware and painting the walls will help and I bet it's going to look great. But after you're done with those updates, if your kitchen still feels it needs something, consider budgeting to replace the floor tiles with some other kind of flooring. You've got wonderful wood work (cabinetry, wainscoting, trims) and nice furnishings, but the floor robs a lot of charm because of the prominent visual grid. Maybe bigger tiles set on the diagonal, rectangular porcelain tiles, limestone flooring--maybe even simulated wood-grain finish vinyl tiling (comes in thin long strips like hardwoods). I'm sorry if I'm out of line. It's just that the floor was the first thing I noticed that cemented your kitchen in the 80s/90s (with a little help from the wall paper). I hope I don't offend.
January 4, 2013 at 12:56PM     
karenmacy
You are absolutely not out of line! I agree, and to make matters worse,the floor is vinyl tile that I've stripped the finish off so that it resembles ceramic tile. Unfortunately with three kids in college, the floor takes a back seat! If we sell down the road, Im just thinking of budget friendly updates. When I posted my dilemmas here, I welcome all suggestions! Keep those ideas coming
January 4, 2013 at 1:09PM     
hmschoolmom
I think the woodwork above your cabinets is amazing. Love it! The plate rack is gorgeous too. I think all you will need is to find a warm paint color (I'm big on tans and olive tones, myself) and update your hardware on your cabinets. Later, I would strongly consider hardwood flooring or even laminate wood flooring in keeping with your beautiful traditional look.
January 4, 2013 at 1:52PM   
karenmacy
Thank you for the compliments on the cabinets, I'm beginning to look at my 30yer old cabinets in a new light!
January 4, 2013 at 1:58PM   
litzie132
You could try a white/black/grey colour scheme, which would work with what I can see of your counter tops, and then accent with one single bright colour, a green or an orange maybe? Maybe even paint some of the lower cabinets black?
January 4, 2013 at 2:07PM     
karenmacy
litze. That sounds great. Would I go with a gray for wall? Would that blend with the oak furniture? Thanks everyone for your help!
January 4, 2013 at 2:59PM   
intoit
I love your cottage style kitchen. Agree that painting the walls gray and changing out the hinges and hardware would make a huge improvement. Changing the floor to hardwood would also compliment the style.
January 4, 2013 at 3:58PM     
judianna20
Hey, Janis, how is the snow off 128? Just saw your posts on Frank's room.
January 4, 2013 at 4:57PM   
thefinerdesigner
I think you should steer clear of cool grays based on the beautiful tan backsplash and warm granite countertops. Change out the hardware for now to something more updated. You can even try to use filler to fill in those ridges on the doors to make a smooth, contemporary look and down the road maybe you can get those doors replaced. I think the white works but even a nice matte black with brushed nickel hardware would look great with that fabulous granite. A wood-look floor would be a great finishing touch. Just my humble opinion. :) Good luck!
January 4, 2013 at 6:39PM     
thefinerdesigner
And...black cabinets would look fab with those great chairs! :)
January 4, 2013 at 6:40PM   
PRO
Legacy Design
#1 New Hardware #2 wall paper goes #3 The vinyl floor that looks like wood @ 1.59 sf. At this point with a tight budget these would be the first things to change. I think from what I can see of your counters they are santa cecilia , maybe new venetian gold. I can see Taupe paint with those counters but not a true gray. Im sorry had to put my two cents in!!!!
January 4, 2013 at 6:56PM     
thefinerdesigner
Yes, I agree with Legacy, Venetian Gold granite in all likelihood. Luckily, VG can go with a lot - I have VG myself and our cabinets are stained a dark color - almost black but not quite - and it has kind of a purply undertone which really pulls out the wine blotches in the granite. Maybe going with a warm cream on the cabinets and walls (not the exact same shade, though) would be nice. I have taupe walls with the dark cabinets/chrome pulls and a dark acacia wood floor for what it's worth. My handles may be more modern than what you are looking for but here's what they look like.
January 4, 2013 at 8:12PM   
shaylward
I agree that the counters call for warmer tones, I would suggest a deep orange.... mine is called Desert Sunset, but I am in New Mexico where the colors run brighter! I think the warm tones also help areas such as this one (and my own kitchen) which don't get tons of natural light.
January 4, 2013 at 8:37PM   
karenmacy
I can't thank everyone enough for their time and expertise. Love this houzz!
January 5, 2013 at 5:14AM     
Nancy Hehmann
I understand budgets.
If you replace your floor with tile at some point Lowes gives classes so you might consider that and my husband taught himself to install hardwoods. Saves a lot of money. He always has a project going. I hear him sanding now.
January 5, 2013 at 5:28AM     
karenmacy
My husband did all the moulding, trim work ,wainscoting , and plate rack. We also tiled the backsplash. So as you can see this kitchen is an ongoing DIY project in progress! He claims he's done but maybe after he sees the comments, he'll pick up his saw one more time!
January 5, 2013 at 7:14AM     
Hi, I like your kitchen/house. I think the cabinets go with all your blue and white china collections. I think I would only change the hardware or even spray paint them in a nickel or rubbed bronze or flat black finish. You can paint the hinges with silver acrylic craft paint for a nickel finish. Have you seen some photos in decorating magazines and probably Houzz also of rooms that have a navy wall with blue and white china and ginger jars? Stunning. I agree with previous poster about whether the cool gray paint color will go with the warm beiges in your tile. I cannot tell about the color of your granite countertops because they don't show up in your picture. Yellows and earthy golds might work with the counters as well as the blue and white. Make sure you post pics. Also, just add a rug runner to the floor for now.
January 5, 2013 at 6:26PM   
cyn222
Check out FASADE for backsplash ideas. Easy install. I'd would install glass front cabinets door on the top cabinets. Wallpaper, yes it has to go. Good luck and have fun.
January 5, 2013 at 10:34PM   
Grace Reed
Karen, your husband sounds very talented and I really like your house. But (!), I gotta be honest. The plain cabinet doors look dated and inconsistent with the trim work, especially on the soffit above. To me they are an eyesore. Sorry! Maybe I'm the only one who thinks so. I also agree with staying with warmer colors. The backsplash is beautiful as is the rest of your husbands work.
January 6, 2013 at 12:58AM   
PRO
LUMINHOME OPTOELECTRONIC CO.,LTD
we are manufacture in China , looking for distributor of solar garden light, web:www.oksolarled.com Email: kinglingelectric@gmail.com if someone have interesting pls send me email.Good quality and competitive price.
January 6, 2013 at 2:06AM   
PRO
mbmckenna13
Since all of your house trim is Lancaster white, I would use that color as your starting point in picking a paint color for the cabinets and wall color. You also mentioned your black splash and counters are a year old and your hinges and floors need to stay for now. Your appliances look new as well and your lighting seems to be updated. Benjamin Moore has a series "OC" that would work easily. You could do ballet white on the cabinets, OC-9 and then gray owl, OC-52 on the walls. The ballet white would compliment the wood built-ins, the tile, granite and appliances as well as the dark hardware. The gray owl would compliment the hall color and picks up hues in the counters and back splash. I would replace all of the knobs and get as close to the hinge color as possible. Something like an aged or rubbed bronze. I would go with an antique look. You could do bin pulls on the drawers and round knobs on the cabinets and small drawers. The OC series adds just enough color to make an impact and should compliment your dish collection and antique furniture nicely. You can add some new window treatments as well. Good luck taking down that wall paper :)
January 6, 2013 at 7:35AM     
PRO
mbmckenna13
Just noticed the window treatments which are beautiful. They look like a yellow toile? The should be fine with the gray owl which is a greenish gray. What color is the hallway?
January 6, 2013 at 7:39AM   
bpyyoung
Just a few questions. What colour is your granite? It looks like it is brown based with black striations. Your backsplash is also brown, and all your furniture. Are the walls grey or taupe in the bottom left pic? Given you have so much brown, especially the counter and backsplash I would stick with the brown/taupe tones on the walls. Otherwise you have too many colors hitting you all at once. You could paint the cabinets white including the trim with stainless knobs/handles only because when you sell your house people will like that better than say an odd color. Changing color on walls is easier in most buyers minds than cabinets. Also, white makes the kitchen feel even bigger and brighter. It will also play off the really nice panelling in white that you have. Spray painting the hinges will give it a new look as well. I just did that with some hallways cabinets.

Drapes in kitchens are just not good at all as the smells are absorbed and the grease as well. Plantation shutters on the doors are easier to clean but cost more but well worth the investment. Also, when you sell your home, I would move the cabinet, top right corner pic, to the wall between the door and corner cabinet. It just flows better. The desk area, you could easily extend that portion out into a breakfast bar, which will have buyers salivating. More counter space = more value.

Your kitchen has massive potential. The floors, definitely would need to be replaced. The variety of tiles out there are amazing and at competitive prices. You could also find tiling coupons on Angie's List and you could have it installed at a fraction of the cost. Or if you have time, do it yourself. I would love to see what you will do to your kitchen. Have fun!
January 6, 2013 at 7:59AM   
Harrut
I really like the pelmet ( wood coving) along the top of the cupboards. Very stylish. How about creating inner wood mouldings for the front of the doors to add a sense of newness and then repaint them. As people Judyj has already suggested, changing the hinges will update the look too.
January 6, 2013 at 10:08AM     
phorwich
Keep the Woodwork; upgrade all hardware. Get rid of wallpaper; paint walls and ceiling. It will all look great afterwards.
January 6, 2013 at 12:13PM   
Kate
I think your kitchen bones are great and it doesn't really need much, just some basics. Strip the paper and paint the walls, update the light fixtures, paint the cabinets. The upper cabinets and sofit should be the same color. I would not go with anything too contemporary for the hardware or fixtures, but stay true to a classic style with some interest that will blend with your house and furniture. I would also stay away from gray anything especially if your plan is to sell. Think more neutral, like tapes, tans, white and add your color in the accessories a little window treatment perhaps or fruit. You get the idea, keep it light and classic.
January 6, 2013 at 1:29PM   
karenmacy
Bpyyoung. The hallway is Berkshire beige on top and Lancaster on the wainscoting. I mention the gray because I thought it was an updated color and there are gray veins in the backsplash and the counter is Venetian gold? And also has gray specks. I really appreciate the time spent and the ideas everyone has shared!
January 6, 2013 at 4:40PM   
karenmacy
Bpyyoung. The hallway is Berkshire beige on top and Lancaster on the wainscoting. I mention the gray because I thought it was an updated color and there are gray veins in the backsplash and the counter is Venetian gold? And also has gray specks. I really appreciate the time spent and the ideas everyone has shared!
January 6, 2013 at 4:44PM   
Dawn Hillman
after removing the wallpaper and painting...replace the hardware, light fixture, and flooring..consider replacing upper cabinet doors with frosted glass....on just a few
January 6, 2013 at 4:56PM     
bpyyoung
@cadaveria I'm not talking about the backsplash I'm talking about her vinyl tile flooring.

@karenmacy Gray is the new beige and it looks great on almost everything. I don't think that gray and beige go well at all. The white sets it off really well. Good luck on your kitchen. It will look great and I'm looking forward to seeing the kitchen. I'm currently renovating my entire house and it's really nice to see the changes.
January 7, 2013 at 6:18AM   
Darla
I THINK YOU SHOULD LEAVE YOU CABINETS THE COLOR THEY ARE AND DO A COFFEE GLAZE OVER IT, I DID THIS TO MY CABINETS REPLACE THE HARDWARE, HOBBIE LOBBY HAS SOME GREAT HARDWARE A ND THEY WILL BE 50% OFF MOST OF THE TIME. TAKE DOWN THE WALPAPER, DO A ORANGE PEAL TEXTURE ON THE WALL S, TAKE SOME OF THE UPPER DOORS, CUT OUT THE WOOD FRONTS AND REPLACE THEM WITH GLASS. PAINT THE WALL A COLOR THAT YOU LIKE AND WANT TO LIVE WITH. YOU ALSO COULD GLAZE THE WALLS OR DO A COOL PAINTING DESIGN ON IT. THIS WILL LOOK GREAT WITH THE GLAZED WALL AND YOUR BACK SPLASH AND GRANITE. YOU SEEM TO LIKE COUNTRY FRENCH, ME TOO. I WOULD RETHINK THE GRAY COLOR IN THE KITCHEN(UNLESS YOU LOVE IT) YOU HAVE A LOT OF YELLOW, SO TRY A GOLDEN YELLOW PAINT AND PUT TOUCHES OF GRAY ACCENTS, LIKE YOUR CANISTERS. HAVE FUN...
January 7, 2013 at 6:58AM   
bflohockeymom
What a great idea for the soffits! I've never seen that before. We have soffits that can't be removed without expensive electrical and duct work being done and that is not in the budget. Did your husband just add trim to drywall soffits and paint it all?
January 16, 2013 at 7:23AM   
PRO
A Crew of Two
Your house has great feel to it....I like the idea of painting the lower cabinets one color and leaving the upper softer white tone. It will camouflage the appliances and draw attention away from the floor and to the beautiful granite. i would choose one of the lighter flecks that are in the granite. not too gray not too brown, Benjamin Moore Sombrero. Paint the corner cabinet in the dining area the same color as the base cabinets to tie it in together. Love the soffit work!!! i like the idea of a butter yellow on the walls- with your blue dishes it would be gorgeous. Benjamin Moore Fresh Butter, when choosing a yellow, pick one you like and then go 2 or 3 shades lighter to paint. The color intensifies when you paint with it. To pull in your chair fabric I like this look for an area rug. A new light fixture is a must. Something heavy enough to balance the beautiful dining room set. Not sure if you are going more formal but I am taking cues from your tile back splash, granite and dining set. It will be a wonderful room
January 16, 2013 at 8:15AM   
Carolyn Garvie
Getting rid of the wallpaper will be a huge improvement . I would also find a more contemporary fixture for user the dining room table. The oak highboy would look so much better if you had it painted a color that worked with your color pallet. The oak desk could use some updating as well! Don't feel like you need to keep all of your early marriage pieces. If they don't work, sell them.
March 6, 2014 at 9:10AM   
apple_pie_order
Post is over a year old.
March 6, 2014 at 9:30AM   
karenmacy
Update. Wallpaper is removed gone are oak desk and china cabinet. Looking for something to extend counter under drying rack. Possible a thee drawer cabinet , height just below current counter so I can place a remnant of coordinating granite or butcher block.
June 19, 2014 at 11:58AM   
karenmacy
Any suggestions for that space under the plate rack( see photo at top) ? I can use your help!
June 19, 2014 at 1:01PM   
apple_pie_order
Do you have current photos showing the areas you want to change now?
June 19, 2014 at 4:31PM   
karenmacy
As per previous comments( yes from quite awhile ago) the wallpaper was a beast to remove, I am removing this oak desk and china cabinet. That leaves a 36" empty spot under the soffit and plate rack. I need suggestions on how to fill this space as it looks awkward w/I the desk. Thank you!
June 20, 2014 at 3:30AM   
karenmacy
Love the steel cart! Thank u!
June 20, 2014 at 6:56AM     
apple_pie_order
A cart as above would work well. Or a small chest of drawers that could be painted to match the cabinets. The change in height from granite countertops to new cart or chest would be in character with the kitchen.

Look so much fresher without the wallpaper.
June 20, 2014 at 7:22AM   
karenmacy
Thank you apple_pie_order. Paint is next, then cabinet paint and lastly new lighting. Would LOVE a reasonably priced copy cat of this!!!
June 20, 2014 at 8:57AM     
apple_pie_order
The lantern look is moving into more stores. Check lightingdirect.com and other big retailer websites.
June 20, 2014 at 9:02AM   
karenmacy
Got color swatches. Going with lancasterwhitewash on uppers, revere pewter on lower cabinets and edge comb gray on walls. What color do I do the ceiling?
June 23, 2014 at 4:51AM   
karenmacy
Uppers-Lancaster white wash. Lowers-Revere pewter Walls-edge comb grey. Need ceiling color! Lancaster whitewash or different white to pop upper cabinets and soffits?
June 23, 2014 at 5:39AM   
apple_pie_order
Popular paint color choices. Can you take photos of the paint chips next to the granite or taped up on the cabinets?

Whatever white is two shades lighter than Lancaster White Wash on the same color chip would be a nice choice for the ceiling.

Your kitchen is really gorgeous. I just skimmed through your comments again. If you want to try spiffing up the older vinyl floor, I found "Pledge with Future" works really well after scrubbing off old finish coats. You'd need a couple coats. I order it from amazon.com. Johnson and Johnson renamed the old "Future" acrylic floor finish so it is now called "Pledge with Finish". Great stuff.
June 23, 2014 at 6:53AM   
karenmacy
Thank u applepie_order! Lancaster whitewash is the lightest on the paint sample strip. I'll go to the store and ask to see the BM professional ring of strips, it's usually more detailed because I love your suggestion! Thank you so much for your time! Do u think ill b able to reuse the yellow gold toile door curtain, if I don't use the valance and hang on rings and wooden pole? What color pole? (Lancaster) just trying to update and the curtain was custom made !
June 23, 2014 at 2:03PM   
apple_pie_order
When you go to the paint store, see if they have the gigantic paint chips the size of a notebook page that you can buy in their most popular colors. Much better than small chips.

Do you have a photo of the custom curtain fabric with the paint chips next to it? Is the top pleated or gathered? A wooden rod such as a cut to fit closet pole that has been painted may work well with wood rings. Large scale windows with big rods work well. Dinky skinny rods look out of scale especially when they sag.
June 23, 2014 at 3:09PM   
karenmacy
Apple_pie_order and anyone else not busy with Stephanie! Only kidding, I'm ready to move into her gorgeous dining rm myself! Here is the toile. Gold- yellow and cream background pinch pleat. Does it add color to neutral scheme? I'll still display blue/white dishes on rack and remaining corner cabinet. I'm looking for neutral and tasteful when dealing with existing cabinets counter floor. Help!
June 24, 2014 at 5:48AM   
apple_pie_order
Classic toile. Do you have a photo where the paint chips are laid on top of the fabric, in some good lighting such as in sunlight from the window or outside? The background cream fabric should guide or coordinate your choice of the lightest paint color; how do you think they look in real life? Try a photo of the floor with the paint chips, too.

Pinch pleats will go nicely in wood rings. Here's a photo:

Kirsch has good rods if you want a wood look traverse draw rod. If you want just a plain wood rod, you can add a baton on each side to draw with. They make simple plastic and considerably more decorative wood batons. Your kids are college aged, so maybe they won't yank on the fabric.
June 24, 2014 at 6:53AM   
PRO
Dura Supreme Cabinetry
Make sure to have a pro refinish your cabinetry. We hear a lot of stories where homeowners painted their own cabinetry, and then had to replace all of it after a few short years due to the finish job wearing off and unrepairable.
June 24, 2014 at 7:02AM   
karenmacy
The paint Reno has started please see new dilemma " need help with finishes". Need hardware color light fixture etc!
July 18, 2014 at 12:02PM