powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Is there a standard headroom clearance for wood hoods?
tjr1271
January 4, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am renovating my kitchen and a wood hood was selected for over my range. The bottom of the wood hood hits me just above my eyebrow and I am 5feet 6 inches tall. Therefore, the bottom edge of the wood hood is 5feet 3-4 inches from the floor. My floor to ceiling height is 94 inches. Is there a standard design recommendation on hood heights for headroom clearance?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
feeny
Usually the hood itself (i.e. the functioning part inside) comes with specs that suggest minimum and maximum installation height for optimal functioning. We chose one that could be positioned pretty high, and we installed it at the maximum height they listed, as we like open space above and around the range and we wanted the bottom of the hood to be at the same level as the top of the refrigerator frame (73") to create a consistent line on that side of the kitchen. But different makers have different specifications.

If you are unhappy with this height of hood, you can research what kind can be positioned higher, but that will involve some major modifications in the wooden decoration around the hood.
January 4, 2013 at 12:03PM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I think it really depends on your taste. When it comes to micro/hoods I want them even with the bottom of the cabinets. That is just a quirk of mine. My clients are not usually recipients of this OCD quirk. The picture above looks great I guess I would use that as a guide for yours.
January 4, 2013 at 12:10PM   
tjr1271
Thanks for the responses. Aesthetically, it looks nice, but functionally, you bonk your head on the bottom trim when cooking and on the long points to the right and left when working on the counters and moving back and forth when cooking. We are exploring solutions to rework this. Every contractor and member of my family has impaled themselves at least once on the low points since we installed it a few weeks ago. It is too low and pointed.
January 4, 2013 at 12:14PM   
feeny
Just for a reference point for how far you can push the limits and how a taller one might look, here's ours (which is considerably taller than the top of my 5'7" head):

January 4, 2013 at 12:19PM   
More Discussions
What should I put above the sofa?
Dear Houzzers ! This is our family room.I am not sure...
Living room makeover -- rug and wall color help!
Hi all! Thanks in advance! I am moving into my boyfriend's...
Patio dilemma!
We need to completely demo the raised section of our...
Help pull this all together
Just received my couch and patterned chair w/ottoman...
BATHROOM COLOR DISASTER!!
So I thought I'd picked a gray paint color for my bathroom....
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.