Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
I need Furniture placement help!
jimmypaige
January 4, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We bought a new house a few months ago. This is our family room, where we watch tv and gather. It's also open to our kitchen. The only thing we're attached to is the tv. We're open to new everything else. The main problem for me, is that I do not want to put a couch at the giant entry, bc it closes the room off so much. I love how its open, but then I don't know where to put the furniture. What would you do with this wonky room? Oh, we do not want to put the tv above the mantle, and the walls on each side of the fireplace are only about 6' wide. We also are a family of 6, so we need a lot of seating. See my dilemma?! Can you help?! Any suggestions are appreciated! Thank you!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
I'm curious about the furniture you've got now. The arrangement is quite original, but I can see why you're not happy!

If you were my client, I'd have a sectional custom made for you, which would fit the angles of the wall where the shutters are. Then I'd add a couple of low-backed, leggy lounge chairs that could supplement the seating by floating in front, creating an arc of seating that would extend from the left of the fireplace around to almost by the tv.

I don't know where you're located, but if you are in the Toronto area I could help in person. If you're elsewhere in North America, there's still a possibility that I could source something for you if you don't have anyone to work with. I'd just need a detailed accurate floor plan to work from.

Best of luck with making this room a cosy comfortable place for the whole family.

Cynthia
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 2:21PM
Christine
Even though you have low sills on your window I would get a custom made sofa that hugs that window wall. I would avoid making it overstuffed and instead keep to a leaner shape. Then you could mount that tv on the wall it currently sits on with a simple component cabinet for under. Then I would get a real ornate glass and metal chandelier which would draw the eye upward to the shimmer and gleam from it and then I would probably sugest keeping everything else minimal so maybe a standing lamp and a quartet of framed images over the mantle. You could also find a small but multi-use coffee table that has storage in it. But if you don't want the room to scream TV room that is what I would opt for.

Have fun.
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 2:41PM
Dar Eckert
Sunroom Addition
Assisted Living Condo Naples, Fl.
I'm not really fond of the style and color of the furniture in these rooms but included them as examples of how you could arrange furniture in your room.

Love the shutters & the room.
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 2:45PM
PRO
STUDIO MB
If you can manage to put the TV over the fireplace then you don't have to divide the focal point between the now TV wall and fireplace. This is a very difficult room for sure! So you should follow the natural angles of the room rather than introducing a new one.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 2:46PM
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Dar, the second picture shows a good example of a sofa in the general layout that I was describing. I do agree that it should be sleeker and less traditional looking for this room.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 2:48PM
jimmypaige
Thank you for your comments, and for taking the time to comment. The furniture set up in the photos is not our normal set up. It's actually a U shape sectional, but we had to play with it quite a bit to have our Christmas tree in the room. I had just taken the tree down when I took the photo, and I am trying to find a solution.
Ideally, we will custom make a sofa for the window area, (but I'm sure it won't be for a while so we can save up the money to do so.) and will have some cute chairs in the room.
Thanks again for your help!
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 8:08PM
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
You are very welcome, jimmy. You'll never regret investing in a quality piece of furniture. If you ever want to contact me for more assistance, you can write to ctaylorluce@cogeco.ca.

Cynthia
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 8:10PM