Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Furniture Arrangment Dilemma - Great Room/Den
Indigo Pearl
January 4, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello all!

I just purchased my very first home. I haven't bought any furniture for it yet, and I was curious to get some feed back on furniture arrangement in the largest room of the house.

If you look to the photo of the floor plan (floorplanner.com), you will see the large room in the middle of the house. The den nearly 26' x14'. The problem is that there's at least one doorway in the middle of all four walls!

My hubby and I are huge cinephiles and we desire a large TV and lots of cushy sitting area. I was thinking of floating the whole sitting area in the middle of the room....perhaps getting an L-shape sectional, but I'm open to suggestions. Also, where should the TV go? We're probably getting a 60" LED flatscreen. The natural focal point of the room is the french doors leading to the back yard patio. Thank you in advance!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Ilija Pavlic
How about a projector and a retractable projector screen? It can be just above the patio door.
January 4, 2013 at 3:57PM   
Ilija Pavlic
I like your idea of a central arrangement. If you get a loveseat to watch the movies, you can put a recamiere or a chaise longue on the opposing side, so it doesn't obstruct your view. If you have guests, you can rotate/move the piece so you can all watch the movies together. You can also watch the outside, through the patio doors. Here are some rough sketches.
January 4, 2013 at 4:18PM   
Indigo Pearl
Wow! Thank you for the advice. The projector screen is something I haven't considered. Also, I like the chase lounge...Great sketches!
January 6, 2013 at 12:25AM