Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Window treatment
kelkim2
January 4, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Please help with suggestions for window treatment for living room. Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
les1238
Nice! Any privacy/security concerns by day or by night? What's the view, and what are your light control needs?
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 4:47PM
PRO
Dytecture
Here is one option.

0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 4:58PM
kelkim2
Yes, need privacy & security. Road is somewhat busy at rush hour and school time. View is of houses across the street. Would woven shades work? But I would also like to have drapes on either end but would it look odd to have a very long draper rod with a panel on each end? Thanks so much!
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 5:01PM
Cindy Pestka
What about applying a subtle window film to the bottom halves of each window, maybe something that looks like rice paper? It would serve as a permanent privacy screen but you'd get tons of light through the upper halves.
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 5:06PM
PRO
The Seventh Element Design Group
I would do a white sheer as a first layer, then contemporary rod with 2 panels with fairly large print (black and white if you wish to go dramatic).
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 5:11PM
les1238
I neglected to ask--any pets in the house, cats especially? I've got a similar privacy situation with my living room window. Since my kitties claw the hell out of everything anyway, I went with a double rod, sheer panels that let the daylight in but screen the street out, and lightweight solid panels on the inner rod that we draw at night when the living room lights make our picture window into a theater. It was a temporary (3 years and counting) solution, but has worked out pretty well. I plan to upgrade to a double traverse rod and better quality, cat-resistant fabrics soon.

I agree with 7EDG that white sheers (textured or translucent for more privacy during the day) with panels stacked back on either side, would look good in your room and not entirely hide your handsome windows. Side panels could be dummies that stay stacked back on the sides, or full-width if you want privacy at night or to dim the room for t.v. watching. Full length side panels would set off your windows beautifully. And if you have cats trying to sit in the windows, I suggest short sheers for the inner layer--they'll likely last longer. If not, then full length sheers will have more impact.

If you want to try the look without investing a lot of time or money, www.brylanehome.com carries a line of value-priced sheer drapery panels that are available in short and long lengths. They don't look bad, and are tougher than they look. Their solid color canvas panels are nice too.
1 Like   January 5, 2013 at 5:05PM
decoenthusiaste
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 5:13PM
abbshel
A roman shade in a fabric to complement your sofa and pillows might work also.
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 5:26PM
PRO
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
I like your idea of a woven shade...one shade, and they are available cordless or motorized. You can use drapery panels each end. Mount them as high as possible, and let them stack over the glass a little if you can, to alter the proportion of the window a little., i.e. avoid having them stack too far off the glass. You want to accentuate the vertical, which the panels will do.
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 5:29PM
anitajoyce
Blinds for sure.
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 5:38PM
cyn222
Roman shades, shutters.
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 10:41PM
kelkim2
Thank you so much everyone for all your ideas! I appreciate the time you've taken to give me suggestions! Les1238-no cats, just a small doggie but he doesn't bother anything.
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 10:04AM
More Discussions
Help with hubbies surprises please!
I have been de-cluttering, rearranging and decorating...
Decorating tops of kitchen cabinets?
I have deep kitchen cabinets and with tops of the cabinets...
What you all think of our design selections for our house.
We couldn't decide on the countertops being one or...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
Lighting recommendations please
Hello all, We are in the middle of a kitchen renovation...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.