Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Guest room help needed
otis908070
January 4, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I need suggestions for bedding, accessories, furniture stain/painting, and help in general...I tried moving something over near the head of the bed, but it left a small wall empty...The room is a blank canvas, but so is my wallet...help
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
corbettroad
Go to the paint store and ask for returned paints. They are often reduced in price. A warm brown would be lovely. Find some cheap fabric, matching your new paint colour, and cut your drapes horizontally, approx. 12 " down. Then sew in your new piece of fabric. I think a 10 " strip would look nice. Add some new matching pillows..etc. etc. And your off to the races! I grew up in a poor family, and i think this is how i've learnt to be creative. Enjoy yourself....be creative with what you have. Good luck :)
January 4, 2013 at 6:45PM   
smldesigns
I don't have a problem with the paint. From the pictures it looks as if the two nicest things in the room are the draperies and the dresser. I don't think you have another wall to put the dresser on, but can you run the bed the other way either under the window on the left or directly under the window on the right?
January 4, 2013 at 7:05PM   
PRO
Ekhaya Designs
Love the idea of buying returned paint. Don't close your window treatments like that. They tend to look like sheets covering the windows. Instead open them to the side so they look like panels. Try different placements of your bed instead of the bed against the wall. Get an inexpensive rug under the bed. Your window treatments have a color and pattern try to find bedding from places like TJMaxx, or Marshalls maybe with a colors you would like to pair up with your paint color or window treatments. Check out the wrought iron bed from Arhaus.com called St. Lucia. I don't know you budget but these are some inexpensive ways to get started. You can start with one and add others as your budget allows.
January 4, 2013 at 7:15PM   
smldesigns
Do you have just one panel on each window?
January 4, 2013 at 7:19PM   
otis908070
Great suggestions so far, keep them coming! I need help with accessory colors & patterns (pillows, bedding, furniture, ceiling light shade recover). Another bedrm is painted brown, so we used a beige-yellow color from the drapes here and put that color on these walls. My drapes are normally open and behind pulls, but I closed them for the picture so you can see the pattern. I like the attached pillow, b/c it pulls a yellow in, but I am not sure if I could pull it off in the room...
January 4, 2013 at 7:25PM     
ay0313
E e
January 4, 2013 at 7:36PM   
originalmoose
Put your bed on an angle coming out of the same corner it is in. Add some weight to the bed to balance the curtains. Put sheers behind the curtains and open the left window with the curtain to the left and the right one to the right. Raise the curtain rods a little so the curtains are not touching the floor, the room doesn't have height or size yo carry puddled curtains.
January 4, 2013 at 7:59PM   
originalmoose
You could get a simple headboard in similar coloured wood or mahe one with mdf and cotton batting and a nice accent fabric for the bed that would balance thigs out too, and put a tall lamp behind it in the corner.
January 4, 2013 at 8:01PM   
originalmoose
Oops, *add weight to the bed* with a comforter or heavy textured blanket like a wool throw. And maybe a bedskirt.
January 4, 2013 at 8:03PM   
originalmoose
Sorry, i have to keep submitting to look at the pic again. Two narrow pieces of art with colors like that pillow you want, on either side of the corner just below the level of the curtains would make great use of the space. Or a few pieces of sculpture on a couple corner shelves...
January 4, 2013 at 8:05PM   
originalmoose
Something like these for art, obviously two similar ones these are just three style ideas.
January 4, 2013 at 8:12PM   
originalmoose
Bedding in these colours would be nice. Or white with coloured throw.
January 4, 2013 at 8:18PM   
originalmoose
Something like this?
January 4, 2013 at 8:25PM   
originalmoose
Or put your dresser in the corner with the mirror angled in on each side it would look nice, and your bed where the dresser is, either along the wall or out from the middle with nightstand on each side, looking at the one window.
January 4, 2013 at 8:28PM   
Natalie
Hi---like your pillow-good choice. I suggest centering the bed with the window-opposite entry and closet---a matching pair of tables/lamps, roman shades, some inexpensive art, fresh flowers, and a box of chocolates for guests and you're good to go. Wall color: Farrow & Ball No. 25 "Pigeon" ...Have fun and Good Luck!
[houzz=Malibu Mediterranean][houzz=Historic Victorian Bedroom]
January 4, 2013 at 8:29PM   
thefinerdesigner
Have you tried moving the bed to where the dresser is now? Place the side table next to the bed and top it with a nice, inexpensive lamp and a stylish, inexpensive clock. Then move the dresser to the corner that the bed is currently in and place it on an angle. The curtains are nice (as long as they are opened) so work with that for your color scheme. Paint is cheap - I can't tell the true colors from the pics but I'd say go with a nice brown-taupe (I'm thinking something like Behr Pepper Spice sold at Home Depot - not sure if you have one nearby). Finish up with a sisal rug (or inexpensive white flokati rug if you can find one - Ikea?) next to the bed. A headboard can be made by simply taking plywood and covering it with batting and fabric with a staple gun. You can also use all kinds of nontraditional items for a headboard - old doors, fireplace screens, even old pallets! Get creative and enjoy yourself!
January 4, 2013 at 8:32PM   
originalmoose
These plans (sorry rough sketch on my ipad!) use your area rug, nighstands, dresser and bed as is. I am guessing at dimensions...
January 4, 2013 at 8:36PM   
originalmoose
Oops, i put the door in the wrong place. With the bed on the dresser wall, you cn put your nightstands on either side, maybe paint headboard on the wall or use a screen or lattice to break up the wall, or place a shelf above the bed with art on it...
January 4, 2013 at 8:44PM   
smldesigns
I agree with Natalie about centering the bed under the window (why I was asking if there's enough room to do it). I would use the little chest/table you have on one side of the bed and get another table for the other side. Then I would get matching lamps for each table. If one table is higher than the other, put a large book under the lamp to make the lamps the same height. Open you draperies and if you can move the rods out to the sides a little. I would not pull them back, but I would get a shade of some sort to go underneath them - perhaps something natural. Eventually I would think about getting a double or queen bed if it would fit. Either way you need a duvet or comforter that blends with your draperies - maybe a tone on tone stripe - the color would need to be one you picked up from the draperies. On the dresser, put a tray with a water pitcher & glass. Add some magazines or books to the night table or to the dresser. A small vase for fresh flowers would be nice. Look at consignment stores or a low priced furniture store for a headboard if you don't want to make one. I believe you can get an inexpensive iron look headboard which looks great under a window. You can also check Craigslist or Ebay. Have a new bar of soap, an extra toothbrush and toothpaste handy and your guests will feel right at home.
January 4, 2013 at 8:50PM   
otis908070
These are all Great suggestions! I really appreciate the insight and outsider perspectives :)
Any suggestions on fabric styles/colors/patterns to recover the ceiling light shade with?
January 10, 2013 at 4:24PM