powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Arched Opening, Dividing Room - What should I do?
murphleea
January 4, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have attached a picture to show how the arch will be - separating the great room from the kitchen(the kitchen has the arched window) and a 2nd picture shows another one separating the foyer from the great room. I'm thinking I should paint it the same color as the wall of the room its in - BUT should I paint the inside part of the arch a different shade? or the same color? Any suggestions at all would be appreciated. Thank you.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
smldesigns
Not sure what you mean by "inside part", but I think you should paint the sides of the arch the color of the rooms they're in and the underneath part the color of your ceiling.
January 4, 2013 at 7:35PM   
murphleea
Sorry, That's what I mean "underneath part". Since it wasn't going to be traditionally framed (trimmed) out - I wasn't sure what to do with it! Thanks so much!
January 4, 2013 at 7:48PM   
smldesigns
Just a thought - could you have them build a wall (like a column) on either side of the arch as if the walls - maybe 12-18" are holding up the arch.
January 4, 2013 at 7:56PM   
murphleea
I could, but really wanted to keep it "open". The only reason I agreed to the arches was because I was told that the beams that will be on the ceiling would need a "stopping point" ... and honestly at this point I don't want to eat up any more of the budget because we haven't even gotten to the fun stuff yet! lol
January 4, 2013 at 8:09PM   
smldesigns
Understand - you can always do it later if you'd like, but what I don't understand is how are you going to have two different colors in the rooms if it's going to be one continuous wall?
January 4, 2013 at 8:20PM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I agree with murphleea I am constantly trying to figure ways of tearing those darn things out not installing them.
January 5, 2013 at 9:17AM   
murphleea
Humm well I guess it just takes someone to point out the obvious in order for it to become clear. Thanks. There is only about 4ft of solid wall space in the kitchen that would need painting... so I guess both rooms will all be the same color.
January 5, 2013 at 7:30PM   
PRO
All About Home Electronics.com
suggestion written on image
January 6, 2013 at 10:28AM   
decoenthusiaste
Looking around on Houzz you won't find many untrimmed arches like yours between rooms that are two different colors. Usually a color change works best with a trimmed arch. You could get around this somewhat if you painted the two rooms in close shades from the same color strip. Some type of faux treatment on the arch might solve that issue and provide more interest.
Contemporary Tuscan
Dining Room
January 6, 2013 at 10:38AM     
PRO
Total Window Treatments
You mention beams. Could the arch have a wood application added to, like planks of some kind
January 6, 2013 at 10:45AM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.