powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
How can I add cottage style to my home exterior?
frankibean
January 4, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We will be purchasing new siding, trim, rain gutters, moulding, and garage doors after severe hail damage last summer. How can we change the look to be cottage style?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
janishill
Add vertical board siding, carriage house garage doors, and add an arbor over the garage doors. Put in flower beds at the front and you suddenly have the look you want.
January 4, 2013 at 8:20PM     
frankibean
Very nice ideas! Thank you!
January 5, 2013 at 8:35AM     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Great idea Janihill, also keep shutters.
January 5, 2013 at 8:39AM     
alicekevin
Garage doors should not stand out .. Really like the suggestion to paint a color that is closer to the siding color. Check out houzz site for front doors and you will get awesome ideas.
January 5, 2013 at 8:41AM     
PRO
Pamela Bateman Garden Design
I like the idea of an arbor over the garage doors but I can see there is no place to plant a climber to grow on the arbor. You can remove some of the concrete to create a place for a climber but it would probably involve adding irrigation and draining so check with a builder. It is always nice to have a walkway from the street rather that having your guests walk up the driveway to your front door. The walkway can then be lined with flowering perennials and annuals. It is also nice to have stepping stones or a path along the street side of the garden so that when people step out of their car they do not step out onto wet grass. A flower bed around the mailbox can also be very charming. Pick at least four flowering or fruiting trees or shrubs to add to the landscape that will be blooming each season. For example an early spring flowering shrub, then a summer flowering shrub, then a late season bloomer and then a shrub with winter berries. In my opinion no cottage garden is complete without some roses!
January 5, 2013 at 9:31AM     
janishill
Actually the climbers can be in planters.
January 5, 2013 at 1:13PM     
Arlen Dau
An EarthBOX can serve as the planter. They have 6 gallons of water storage so you only need to add 1-2 times a week. They can also be set-up for automatic watering. Plenty of dirt volume for any plant. The terracotta color would work well.
January 5, 2013 at 1:22PM     
frankibean
Wonderful ideas! Input on a new house color would also be appreciated.
January 5, 2013 at 8:52PM   
alwaysdesigning
I really like darker grey with your white for a crisp combo. Also, soft sages, with cream trim, can be a nice cottage look. Your planting will be an important part of that also. Easy Knockout roses in back, drought tolerant and easy begonias in front of the roses to line the beds and some very nice fountain grasses interspersed with rosemary, and daisies for spring bloom will be a great start. Good luck
[houzz=Front exterior of the little red sided cottage from the drive]
[houzz=Guadalupe remodel]
[houzz=Modern Bungalow]
[houzz=Traditional Exterior]
[houzz=Contemporary Landscape]
[houzz=Entrance Patio]
[houzz=The Rivendell Manor]
January 5, 2013 at 9:42PM     
janishill
Please post a close up of the stone. It looks as though the predominant cooor is beige, but I would like to see subtle colors.
I like the idea of the deep gray, but, again, would prefer to see the stone up close.
January 6, 2013 at 4:54AM   
frankibean
Looking for input on a new house color, including trim. The brick across the front will stay.
January 7, 2013 at 4:20PM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
January 7, 2013 at 4:34PM     
janishill
This color would work nicely: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/bearcreek

and would be perfect on vertical boards with white trim and shutters. I can imagine it with the arbor, flower beds, etc.

Hope you will post updates!
January 7, 2013 at 5:22PM     
More Discussions
Kitchen: Project 1: open cabinet over sink
I have a small square kitchen with no windows. This...
Help me bring our dining room to life!
We recently started working on our dining room and...
Choosing an Exterior Shutter Color
Maibec cedar shingles in Seacoast siding. I have 4...
grout color for subway tile
We're renovating a home from 1910. The floors are salvaged...
Drape-gate
Due to a Houzz issue and amount of comments on the...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.