Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Ugly granite
halifaxmama
January 4, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi! We just moved into a house that I love but the kitchen has some pretty ugly granite (brand new, just put in to sell the place, gah!!) and a stone backsplash. Both of which are way too country -kitchen for my modern taste. I have a painter coming to do the walls in a few days... Has anyone ever tried to paint over granite? Dumb idea? I've seen those Giani kits and they state granite as one of the surfaces they treat... Thanks!!! (Ps the kitschy snowman was a Xmas gift from my 4 yr old! :) and we are replacing the light fixture (mod), blinds and painting the walls...
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Sarah Verdegaal
I would leave the granite alone and focus on changing the backsplash. The dark granite actually is a nice contrast to the cabinets.
January 4, 2013 at 8:30PM     
calikym
You could update the backsplash with a modern glass tile, maybe in black. DON'T paint your granite!! Seriously. Get rid of the stone backsplash and then re-assess.
January 4, 2013 at 8:57PM     
steffoxy
I agree. You could try a darker backsplash that works with the granite.
January 4, 2013 at 8:59PM     
Eileen
The granite is great, just looks bad with the backsplash. Like calikym said, modern glass tile would look great!
January 4, 2013 at 9:19PM     
Jayme H.
Totally agree to change backsplash and leave granite..
January 4, 2013 at 9:22PM     
Natalie
Hi---I suggest leaving the granite, it's not that bad... Change out the backsplash---a glass/stone blend installed vertically... For the light, I'm thinking warm rather than cool finishes/glass. Paint the trim same color as the cabs and the walls a mocha with a cool undertone. Look at SW 7025 Backdrop for wall color... Good Luck!
[houzz=W08 Grey Mist Quartzstone Brick Glass Mosaic][houzz=F10 Dune Linear Glass Stone Blend Mosaics][houzz=W10 Grey Smoke Quartzstone Brick Glass Mosaic][houzz=Caviar Pendant Cluster | Clayton Gray Home][houzz=Media Unit 002887]
January 4, 2013 at 9:37PM     
halifaxmama
January 6, 2013 at 1:02PM   
olldcan
Definitely it's the tumbled marble backsplash that's not working here, not the counter. All of them on the link, including what's been suggested here, are too busy for my taste. This counter has quite a bit of pattern, I like it however I think a simple stainless or white subway tile would be best suited for your kitchen.
January 6, 2013 at 1:15PM   
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
I'm not fond of the granite either...not my taste. You want to answer the question: "Will a new tile help me 'like' the granite more?"

My answer would be, "No. Nothing in the world will help me like that granite!" But that's me. I don't live there. I would hate to see anyone "redo" the back splash only to have to change it out AGAIN when they remove the granite!

I guess what I'm saying is, if you don't like the granite then get rid of it. There are ways to "cap it" using cast concrete counters. There have been many posts here about just such a thing. If the granite is so valuable, then you would want to keep it for future resale...but until then you will want to have a kitchen you can live in. You may spend more in trying to "fix" the stuff around it and still end up hating it! Which means you will have to spend more money fixing it to the way you want it...which means doing the back splash x2!

Do you spend money on a back splash that is kinda your taste, so that it kinda makes you feel better about the granite?
January 6, 2013 at 1:15PM   
Natalie
Hi---I'm glad to hear you're thinking of doing the blend-I think you'll really like it. Attaching a couple more pics of that wall color I suggested for you. Painting the walls a dark color will pull it all together and give you a beautiful cohesive design, you're sure to love. Tile on the vertical... Nothing too gold-look to those I posted above... Good Luck to you!
January 6, 2013 at 6:06PM