Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Window treatment dilemma
dwightcaroline
January 5, 2013 in Design Dilemma
The windows in my dining room are unevenly spaced. One is 5" from the corner and the other is 20" from the corner with about 30" between the windows. Also, the windows have decorative headers so I don't know what type of window treatments will work best. I am thinking a simple top treatment in a nice patterned fabric would work but I'm just not sure. Any ideas?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Heather Stevens
I dont think that i would do treatments, leave the framing as a focal point, anything you put on the windows will only bring attention to the mistake in the window placement. Less is more...
January 5, 2013 at 8:18am     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I agree with Heather, the architectural detail is quite a nice statement on it's own.
January 5, 2013 at 8:21am   
Natalie
Hi---I agree with Heather---keep it as is. I suggest placing a light neutral area rug under the table for a bit of balance. This is a Beautiful room and the wall color is FAB!!! Good Luck!
January 5, 2013 at 8:24am   
angiesays
White shutters would be my choice for those great windows.
January 5, 2013 at 8:28am   
fabia
Plantation Shutters, white wood. Fabulous interior set to showcase all trim..
January 5, 2013 at 8:48am     
PRO
Viola Interior Design
Alternatively, you could do floor to ceiling length shear curtains on the entire window wall. Could be dramatic yet softer, and take your eye away from the strong geometric lines of the large offset windows.
January 5, 2013 at 9:07am     
fabia
I am adding a couple of pictures, always easier to visualize this way. These shutters are examples of the style I am speaking of. The company measures , and build an interior mount frame to fit into the window. I suggest removing the tilt bar, as some shutters come with them. I think white wood 3 inch slats would work. The slats can be larger if you like. The wood is also supreme, as a treatment. Choosing a colour similar to your furniture. Cheers!
January 5, 2013 at 9:16am   
fabia
and yet..
January 5, 2013 at 9:22am   
dwightcaroline
Thank you for the advice! My husband and I have always loved plantation shutters but have been hesitant because of the cost. Maybe we will consider getting a quote for them.
January 5, 2013 at 6:11pm     
PRO
Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
If that were my home, I'd get a contractor and move the windows so that they were centered properly. It would really bother me.
January 5, 2013 at 6:27pm   
PRO
Blue Hot Design
If the asymmetry of this idea doesn't bother you, would you consider removing the headers, and adding one nice full curtain panel on the far right, hung from a chunky, decorative rod with a finial at both ends? Then some bold artwork between the windows could help finish it off.

Install the rod with large rings at the top of the window trim, or higher, if you want to replace the large header (crown, really) with a smaller crown molding. The current ones look like an afterthought anyway, and don't fit with the flat molding.

Some folks prefer strict symmetry. If you're one of them, you'll never be happy with this room.

The architect designed this building from the outside, without considering where the windows land inside. Shame, shame.

Here's a photo of the look I'm describing, from a kitchen I designed. Just pretend the left curtain panel isn't there. And make sure the panel fully covers the window trim on the far right window.
January 5, 2013 at 6:47pm     
deb48
Hi, I think the room looks beautiful and agree that the windows are a real feature already.Plantations are fabulous though-I have a home full of them- but remember you do lose some of the outside view.
good luck
January 5, 2013 at 6:48pm   
decoenthusiaste
If plantations are out of reach you might try soft romans, but I wouldn't worry about the symmetry issue.
Library 2
Norfolk House on the Hague
January 5, 2013 at 6:55pm   
smldesigns
I think I would do Natural Woven Shades or patterned Roman Shades mounted inside the window. Look at Smith & Noble for examples.
January 5, 2013 at 7:18pm   
PRO
JMittman Designs
I do not really care for the wood cornice tops on those windows. They emphasize even more the unbalanced windows. How tall are the walls? 8 foot? I would take the cornice off. Install panels, with london shades installed high too. Make the windows look taller for the room.
January 5, 2013 at 8:16pm   
smartkat
Move the plant to the other corner beside the sideboard to have a reason for that "extra space" to be there then your eye will better pair the windows with one another.
January 5, 2013 at 8:32pm     
fabia
The Plantation shutters can be real wood or faux. They really are an investment, but well worth it. My thoughts were they worked with the oodles of gorgeous trim work.
January 5, 2013 at 8:35pm   
Bonnie
I think if the windows are well dressed the symmetry issue will diminish. You could mount panels (with or without under sheers) just under the major part of the moulding as shown in the pic I have attached.

January 5, 2013 at 8:57pm     
Bonnie
Here's an example of the sheer drape idea going across the whole wall and they did one panel swagged back. The window in the picture has uneven space on either side of the window as well. Your window is a different shape but I think you could do something similar but put your single panel on the right side.
January 5, 2013 at 9:06pm   
Bonnie
Another example of uneven placement of windows...where the space on one side is quite a bit wider the space on the other side of the window but yet not noticeable at first because the room is so well decorated

January 5, 2013 at 9:20pm   
anthip
I like that idea Bonnie. Although I would leave the blinds in the windows and just run a nice silk drape the whole length of the wall - then you could have a really dramatic full wall of curtains in the evenings/winters and have the swag on the right hand side at other times.
January 5, 2013 at 9:20pm   
cyn222
Leave it to builders to create problems. I wouldn't use drapes. Maybe shutter blinds would work better.
January 5, 2013 at 9:21pm   
dessert
A simple solution is three panels hung from the ceiling. One at either end and one in the center. They can be fixed or closing if you require privacy. Your mouldings would still be visible and the different sized spaces camouflaged. Chose a beautiful fabric and use french pleats to complement your style.
January 5, 2013 at 9:26pm   
chris_wolff
i have similar header on my LR and DR windows. I had single width panels made up and used Curtain-tracks.com ceiling mounted track attached flush with the window header--it looks like one more piece of moulding. I used the curtain track end cap screwed down tight to keep the panels stacked back so the view is maintained. Sorry the pic is so dark but the winter "gloom" is upon us here! (I have used Curtain-track.com part number 84003 and also RECMAR 3120 from same website. They can both be cut to length with a home depot grade hacksaw. Drilling the holes through the track to mount into the window frame required batch of cookies to make up to my husband but those and track were affordable. Agree with Natalie, paint color is awesome. What did you use?
January 6, 2013 at 7:45am     
chris_wolff
ps--here are close ups inside and out. Good luck! update us on what you eventually do.
January 6, 2013 at 7:49am   
dwightcaroline
Paint color is Chipmunk by Pittsburgh Paints. I have considered panels but I am worried the far left one will cover up too much of the window.
January 6, 2013 at 7:09pm     
PRO
Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
Chris--love your window treatments! And the room is just wonderful!
January 6, 2013 at 7:23pm   
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I would suggest putting a Roman Shade inside your window frame it will make the room look more polished . You can also choose from a wide selection of fabrics which is great !
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/roman-blinds-shades.html
January 7, 2013 at 10:07am   
PRO
LM Designers
What a beautiful dining room. I would leave it alone with no drapes. You have a nice clean look right now.
January 7, 2013 at 10:14am   
feeny
At most, simple inset roman shades. But only if you need protection from the sun or privacy. Otherwise I'd keep them unadorned and celebrate their lovely wood framing details.
January 7, 2013 at 10:23am   
PRO
GRANIA MURRAY ASID
Great suggestions above. To condense it for you I'll reduce it to the three best. Leave them as they are as the framing looks great. White plantation shutters. Sheet voile covering the entire width of the wall which will conceal the error. Best of luck. It's a lovely room!
April 10, 2014 at 1:24pm