Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need advice on how to decorate extra space next to soaker tub
kay1967
January 5, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Looking for advice on how to decorate extra "awkward" space next to soaker tub. Unfortunately, the tub is not centered; thus, the extra space. Would like to use the space for combined storage/decoration.

A full scale shelf on this wall probably would not work, as it would be difficult to access storage without stepping up (18" step up).

Dimensions of extra space: width 46", height of tiled area is 23", height up to ceiling, including tiled area is 76", and the depth (if kept consistent with counter) is 20".

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ramona
This is easy. A basket with rolled up towels. A beautiful container for bath salts. An orchid which can probably live on the steam in the bath. Not awkward at all. It is the place you put a book and a drink while you soak.
6 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 8:29AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Romona has it right she only missed some great candles.
4 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 8:32AM
PRO
Frank Webb's Bath and Lighting Center
The only problem with putting a drink or a book in that space is that it is at the foot of the tub, I would use candles or baskets with decorative towels or flowers like suggested
1 Like   January 5, 2013 at 8:36AM
saller
I have this same 'awkward' space in my bathroom. The tub is centered under an off center window. I placed a couple of glass canisters and used a hotel rack for towels above. Not the best pic with an iPad. The canisters look small here, but they are quite large, the largest being 10 x 18.
4 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 9:23AM
feeny
Awkward space? What you have is my ideal! I hate tubs that have no place to perch anything. Attractive glass containers of bath salts, bubble baths, soaps, shampoos, plus a basket of rolled up towels, as Ramona has suggested. And candles, definitely candles.
3 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 9:27AM
kay1967
Thanks everyone! Great ideas!
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 2:10PM
carolannr
How about a small, footed shelving unit that matches the cabinets for soaps, oils, towels, a big fern on top , even room for a tv if you like to watch movies while you soak?
1 Like   January 5, 2013 at 2:19PM
kay1967
Thanks for the shelf idea....I will definitely look into it! This definitely adds some functionality to the space. Much appreciated!
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 2:26PM
cyn222
Candles, towel holder. A cute person washing your back sitting on the ledge. LOL!
3 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 11:24PM
Darzy
My daughter has a leather u-shape satchel "wood log" holder for her fireplace but now has gas fireplace. Soo, we took the log holder and rolled up towels to look like "logs" ready for the fireplace in her bathroom. Sounds weird, but real cute.
1 Like   January 5, 2013 at 11:53PM
kay1967
Neat idea...very creative! Thanks!
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 7:39AM
jjontherun
Practical or Pretty? Are their children around? If children, I would get colorful bath towel s and roll them in a "log" formation and place them in a container that shows off the color. You can get lanterns (Pier 1 has many) that have battery operated flame so they are safer than lighting candles to go along with it. It doesn't look like much light comes in, if you have light, how about a live plant. I keep orchids in my bathroom they love the steam. If adult area - go for pretty - different heights of candles with greenery around the bottom. Lanterns are good for adults as well. MIx up the ideas - I just read the post above mine, I guess I'm not the only one with "log towels" on display! Good luck
2 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 7:57AM
kitasei
River stones.
1 Like   January 6, 2013 at 8:06AM
Darzy
Or, you can get a portable, ventless gel fireplace. Can be pricey tho.

2 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 12:19PM
kay1967
Wow...thanks for the fantastic ideas, everyone. This is a great forum for design help and inspiration!
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 2:24PM