Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Position of furniture, furniture and rug colors, upper wall decor
janeinfo
January 5, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have an octagonal den with 18 foot ceilings. We put in dark wood floors and painted the walls Sherwin Williams Khaki Shade. We are looking to replace the rug with a larger 9 X 12 instead of the 8 X 11 shown. Also, we would like to keep the leather sofa if possible, but everything else can change. We need additional lighting and seating. Also, we would like ideas as to what to do on the upper 9 ft of the walls. The lower 9 feet behind the sofa is open to breakfast area and kitchen. I just had the draperies made, so they are staying. The last picture is of the catwalk before we put floors in and painted. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
claudiann
Color! Everything seems subdued and dark. Large green or blue blown glass lamps. Or at least amber colored. See pot. Barn. Bring in blues or greens in the rug, pillows etc. beautiful blown glass on the mantle instead of the painting. Put some beautiful large art above the door and breakfast pass through . You have a beautiful room with wonderful light. Take advantage of the light to make the room sparkle instead of dulling it down.
January 5, 2013 at 9:25am   
janeinfo
Thanks for the input. The large piece of artwork on the mantle is due to a ill-placed window behind it. Due to the summer sun (think south TX) we would need something to block the sun in the summer. Any suggestions?
January 5, 2013 at 9:30am   
Heather Stevens
Turn your sofa to face the FP, put chairs on either side of FP angled, but bring everyrhing into the center of the room, remember this room is all about conversation and that FP. Reorient your rug to run parallel to the FP. Your furniture is just way too spread out right now...but a lovely potential is there!! Would love to see a progress image!
January 5, 2013 at 9:42am   
janeinfo
We tried pulling in the furniture and it looks better, but when we tried facing the sofa to the fireplace, it looked awkward coming in the front door. So what would you think about purchasing two identical club chairs and have them facing the fireplace?
January 6, 2013 at 9:01am   
claudiann
What about putting your rug at an angle and angle your couch on it so you can see both the fireplace and tv? Use the angle of the kitchen pass through and go parallel to it with the couch. Leave the one chair where it is and put the other chair in front of the other window.
January 6, 2013 at 12:26pm   
keller521
take the rug out, why do you need it? For the sun put a car shade up when the sun is high and hot in the house we have done this and it does work. Then we take it down when the sun goes down.
January 6, 2013 at 12:33pm   
decoenthusiaste
I would do without the rug for a while - just roll it up and store for awhile. I think the sofa on a 45 angle aligned with the front door might work well. Replace the two wing backs with two swivels for more flexibility, as they can move anywhere and still turn to watch tv or the fire. Try UV film on the windows. If you need privacy too you can get it with a one-way feature so others can't see in.
January 6, 2013 at 1:14pm     
janeinfo
Thanks for the suggestions. What if we purchase two neutral club chairs and remove the paisley wingback? Where should we place them and should we invest in a larger coffee table?
January 10, 2013 at 6:49am   
decoenthusiaste
Two club chairs will work. Here is one of my favorite arrangements. All four of those chairs are swivels. I really like them when TV and FP do not share the same locale. They make for a lot of flexibility by allowing one to switch from facing the TV to the FP. Angle the sofa with the back to the dining chairs. Then flank the FP with the two matching chairs, pulling the lounger forward into the grouping. Here are a few of my favorite styles. I like your coffee table. See how the space feels after you add the chairs and rearrange. If might not seem so small with the furniture grouped into a tighter grouping.
Kiawah Family Home
Simon Swivel Chair
Orbit Swivel Chair
Rawlings Swivel Chair
Jolie Swivel Chair, Vance Bermuda
Cody Swivel Chair
January 10, 2013 at 7:37am   
janeinfo
I really like your idea, but could I ask for clarification? Are you saying we should have the back of the sofa to the bar chairs so it is at an angle to the built-in and the fireplace or are you saying put the sofa back to the breakfast area where it is presently?
January 10, 2013 at 7:42am   
janeinfo
Okay, I just got in my "blue" rug sample from pottery barn. I selected Gabrielle Persian
http://www.potterybarn.com/products/gabrielle-rug-blue/?pkey=crugs-by-color&cm_src=rugs-by-color||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_- .

The verdict is this. Even though the rug is GORGEOUS........every time I walked by, I realize I just don't like blue. In my master bedroom (with the same dark floors) I am using a cream colored shag rug and I LOVE it. Could I use a solid cream rug in this room with accents of blue?
January 11, 2013 at 12:48pm   
More Discussions
Burned out on the built-in kitchen
After decades of renting, we've been planning on building...
Ugh...cheesy fake wood paneling
I have a houseful of fake, unattractive, dark wood...
How do you think this light fixture looks?
I was thinking of this light fixture for my front hall....
Keep the Floor or Replace?
I have a beautiful, 30-year-old, hand laid, UNFINISHED...
Tile goes in tomorrow - need last-minute perspectives...
Okay, Houzzers - Doing a hall-bathroom remodel - I...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.