Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Galley kitchen with adjoining room
villagepeople
January 5, 2013 in Design Dilemma
i've asked this before, but finally i'm in the home and able to post pictures. we have a galley kitchen. cost prevents replacement of cabinets - but i love the grayish/tan/mauve finish. saying that i would love to somehow utilize the adjoining room that is 18'x12'. one side opens to an outdoor screened in lanai, the other side is the garage. i've thought of placing a kitchen island with bar stools and maybe building base cupboards along the far wall, with maybe a desk area built in and use it for buffets, etc. is this too much? i painted the small galley wall area in a plum/lavender color that compliments the cupboards and now, i'm not sure what color cabinets i should be buying. i think white would be too white and the dark gray at ikea would be too dark??? the tiled floor in both rooms are tan/gray/pinky looking. i'm pretty handy and thought maybe i should try to whitewash wooden cabinets. any ideas or suggestions would be extremely appreciated.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
claudiann
I'm curious as to where you eat your meals? Is there a dining area you use on a regular basis?
January 5, 2013 at 10:09am   
villagepeople
yes, i have a dining table that is cluttered with laptops, paperwork, etc....that it's driving me crazy. when we eat, we clear it, then within hours my husbands laptop is back on the table. looking in to the galley kitchen, is a window type opening, on the right, over the sink that opens to this dining area, which is also part of the living room. i would like to keep that as a dining area for special occasions. there's only 2 of us and i thought an island would work????
January 5, 2013 at 3:15pm   
claudiann
It sounds as if you could use a home office. Instead of having two separate pieces of furniture what about combining the two. I envision a nice bar that starts against the wall and then curves out into a peninsula that sticks out away from the wall. Above the length that is against the wall you could hang a piece of artwork to bring in your plums. I am picturing something casual such as a gallery wrapped canvas with a huge oversized flower or piece of fruit...no frame or glass. Then you could put your barstools on the peninsula length facing the lovely patio area. Then at a lower level using the same material as the bar continue along the wall. Make this the office area. If you don't want the expense of cabinetry you could put some shelving and use baskets or pretty boxes for the papers. If you do go with cabinets I would use a light birch color.
January 5, 2013 at 6:04pm   
decoenthusiaste
claudiann nailed it - home office for sure. You can't let your paperwork overtake the open living and dining.
January 5, 2013 at 6:37pm   
villagepeople
thanks. i wish i could envision what that would look like and how to make it. i like the idea of one piece. i agree that 2 pieces might make things cramped. i'll have to keep looking for pictures that have your suggestions. thanks to both for taking the time to respond.
January 6, 2013 at 6:49am   
More Discussions
need help for a rug over saltillo tile
Leaning mid century modern. Sautillo tile floor, chocolate...
Exterior update
What can we do to spruce up the exterior of this house?...
Any suggestions on how to update the most hideous fireplace on the pla
Moving to a rented apartment and this is the fire place...
Let's play with my Snazzy Garottage project
We're building a carriage house (we prefer the term...
color dilemma
Would paint color night train or tempest by Benjamin...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.