Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Pendant light
kehoughton
January 5, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We just re-did our kitchen and put in a giant rounded window over the sink and I am having trouble finding a pendant light that looks appropriate there. Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
tennisanyone
Yes, the light is too small. and anything too big will take away from the window. How about adding highhats to that area so it doesn't distract from the beautiful window.
January 5, 2013 at 11:15am     
PRO
Frank Webb's Bath and Lighting Center
How about a small chandelier instead of a pendant? Something light and airy that you can see thru but will still give you the light you need at night when the sun goes down!
January 5, 2013 at 11:26am     
judianna20
Something rectangular that will fit right in that arch.

January 5, 2013 at 11:52am   
astraea
Love your new window!! I have large windows in the kitchen too, in front of the sink. While there are 2 pendant lights there, I much prefer using the caplighting because it gives a more overall light to where I'm working.
January 5, 2013 at 11:56am     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
consider NO pendant light above the sink.....introduce two additional sloping cans as you have used in the rest of the room
January 5, 2013 at 12:03pm     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
no reason to draw attention to the upper area ......it seems to have a great deal of land and something to view beyond the kitchen window ........let the two dendants at the island take care of the 'interest' inside
January 5, 2013 at 12:04pm     
kehoughton
@ Frank Webbs lighting center-I love the light you showed on the left (the sphere). What is the brand so I can look for it?

@Gary Finley-would something like frank webb suggested be too distracting? We do have a beautiful view out the window and I certainly dont want to take away from that.

@astraea-Thanks, your kitchen is beautiful too!
January 5, 2013 at 12:21pm   
Peter Maguire
nice window, what you need is a single low voltage pendant with brushed nickel shade enclosing a 60 watt MR 16 lamp. This is VERY small about 2" dia. by 3" high. It should hang to just the top of the window, This will give plenty of work light while not being a distraction. Tech Lighting is one mfg of this type of pendant, most retail light stores carry this line. It should cost under $100 total with transformer mounted in the canopy, very easy to put up also. By the way I am a 20 year lighting pro, for whatever that is worth. Forget about recessed at this point. Enjoy.
January 5, 2013 at 12:41pm   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
NO ....anything will distract and be a contrast to the two that are there now at the island....anything new MUST be choosen with the two white glass shares in mind.....sorry to say but there's no turning back.......
January 5, 2013 at 2:29pm     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
so add a version of the two white glass pendants or opt out of any visual impact with can lights.....this is not the opportunity to make a statement ....that ship has sailed.... and now all that is needed is to support what has been created
January 5, 2013 at 2:31pm     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
once again.....GOOD DESIGN IS KNOWING WHEN TO S T O P
January 5, 2013 at 2:32pm     
Sunday
Can light definitely
January 5, 2013 at 2:35pm   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT
January 5, 2013 at 2:36pm   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
THIS IS ONE OF THE LAST SELECTIONS TO BE MADE.....SO BE CAREFUL NOT TO 'BLOW-IT' AS YOU HAVE DONE WELL SO FAR.. NOT THE TIME TO GET 'DECORATORIE'
January 5, 2013 at 2:37pm   
PRO
Frank Webb's Bath and Lighting Center
I don't like matchy matchy lighting design, this is your house and should show off your personality, why put a boring pendant in that space when you can have fun with it? The light is made by Crystorama, it is the small Solaris model :)
January 7, 2013 at 5:31am   
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
I would consider how it will look from the outside at nighttime when it's lit. Do you want a large light shining through the window? I would suggest can lights and over the sink, a series of 3 pendant lights over the island and a coordinating chandelier over the table.
January 7, 2013 at 5:37am   
camillealbert
Sorry Frank and Judyg but those lights don't look good with the ones over the island. Have to take that into consideration. I think a window like that doesn't need the distraction of a light in front of it. Go for can !!
January 7, 2013 at 5:38am   
Jayme H.
I think the right light would look beautiful there. It will have to be hung correctly to look right. I would consult a lighting expert. Snap a photo and bring it in with u and get some advice.
January 7, 2013 at 5:54am     
More Discussions
Concrete countertops
Does anybody have any advice or opinions about concrete...
Paint color suggestions needed. Help!
Can anyone offer paint color suggestions to help me?...
Need help to choose colour
Hi we are building and I need to choose a colour for...
Need help with juliet balcony waterproofing (decorative railing)
I have a bay window and I would like to install a decorative...
Suggested dining seat upholstery color/design?
Just got new black/cream rug & finished the sage green...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.