powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Last Kitchen Renovation was 1950's. HELP!
mhealey123
January 5, 2013 in Design Dilemma
My family and I live in a turn of the century house and recently the kitchen had a leak, forcing us to tear down part of the ceiling. This inspired us to finally do something about the eyesore of the house... The kitchen. Ideas and photos would be greatly appreciated. We are on a VERY limited budget. It's not so much a renovation we're trying to accomplish here, more like a "facelift." So new paint colors, wallpaper, etc. anything to spruce up the place! Plus we need an idea for the ceiling... And let me apologize for the mess, I took these pictures on a whim. Thank you so much!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TanCalGal
Is that a wall paper back splash? Or tile? If tile, what R the colors of the tile?
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 8:31PM
orangecamera
I think a coat of paint on the cabinets would help, and moving the upper cabinet handles would help a lot. The handles aren't bad, but I think they would work better on the side rather than centered on the bottom. If the drawer under the microwave doesn't close properly, get that fixed. It looks like you have older drawers that don't slide easily. You can rub the "slides" with a wax candle, or spray with silicone and help them move easier (if that's been a problem).

Actually, that entire cabinet under the microwave doesn't seem to fit with the rest of your cabinets, and the sliding doors aren't adding a lot of functionality. Do you have enough in your budget to replace that whole cabinet? If not, can you put on swinging doors to gain better access?
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 8:43PM
TanCalGal
If back splash is wall paper, remove. Also remove the border wall paper. Sometimes what you have already is the best choice. Cabinets & trim & shelving over stove & doors white. Walls yellow. Some white dishes on shelving over stove. I'd leave windows bare. photo. Kitchen ( view 4)

For fun I might add a yellow tea pot and a yellow (for shoe) towel on the stove.
Hammett Kitchen
Why Yellow Gorgeous Yellow Flour Sack Towel by B.Haven
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 7:52AM
kitasei
Now is the time to look under your dropped ceiling. Any nice beams to expose?
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 7:56AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
You have A great opportunity to really do some updating. Have you thought about just doing a new kitchen?
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 8:06AM