Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Garage Door Help
monika2024
January 5, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Well our builder's grade garage doors need to be replaced and I'm not sure what color I should go with. Currently we have plain ol' white. I juts think it's soooo boring. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or suggestions for a garage door company that isn't too expensive? I only found 5 and they're all pretty much the same. What do you think of these color combos (the white doors are the current doors)
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
feeny
It's a bit hard to tell from the lighting, but I like the color in the second photo. However, if you used it I'd like to see it echoed somewhere else in your color scheme for the house. You also might consider carriage house garage doors with a simple line of windows in them. They help make the doors more decorative and would go with the style of your house.

January 5, 2013 at 1:19pm     
susanmitch
I like the style of the red/brown door, but not the color. It would look good in white.
January 5, 2013 at 1:22pm   
monika2024
Susan the red brown is actually a wood grain look/color. What if I painted the shutters? I'm really trying to avoid white doors ...
January 5, 2013 at 1:26pm   
monika2024
What about black?
January 5, 2013 at 1:29pm     
susanmitch
If you match the shutters and front door to the garage door it could work.
January 5, 2013 at 1:30pm     
susanmitch
Black would look good with your home color.
January 5, 2013 at 1:31pm     
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Never White garage doors unless your house is white. Paint the door the color of your siding and it will be less obtrusive. Otherwise, the garage door should match the shutters. In your case, if the shutters and front door are black, I would paint the garage door black, but I would also paint the porch rails and posts black. So you choose a color you like, remember it is YOUR home, and you must be happy with it. Let us see the completed project.
January 5, 2013 at 1:46pm     
PRO
Joni Koenig Interiors
Dark doors would look great. Black if that is your shutter color
January 5, 2013 at 1:49pm     
pollyannagal
Dark doors to match the shutters would be elegant. I think the wood effect looks a bit fake and doesn't relate to the rest of the house. The colour in the last picture is rather insipid. The second picture is nice and looks good with the roof colour if you want a softer look but it doesn't work with the current shutter colour.
January 5, 2013 at 2:28pm     
thislittlehouse
I vote for black too!
Plan B) would be to paint them the same colour as your weatherboards.
:) Elise
Ps. I love your house!
January 5, 2013 at 3:55pm     
feeny
Another option would be to paint both your shutters and your garage doors charcoal gray. Just a bit more subtle than black, but with a similar effect.
January 5, 2013 at 4:01pm     
cyn222
Add one with windows to add interest and top it with a pergola.
January 5, 2013 at 11:01pm   
charro534
Pergola for sure. I have the same kind of doors and have been wanting pergolas above them for years...
January 6, 2013 at 12:03am   
Jordan Smith
I agree, black is really nice and it would fit your house well.
January 6, 2013 at 12:49am   
monika2024
Thank you everyone. I really love the black but ive seen someone else on here with the same combo and wveryone who answered thought the black doors would draw te focus to the garage instead of the house-so i was a bit concerned. But i am glad that you think it would work. Thanks again.
January 6, 2013 at 4:40pm   
pollyannagal
If your garage was set back from the house or even alongside it then a strong colour like black could draw the focus to it in an unwelcome way and unbalance the house, but since your garage is a prominent integrated feature you will find that using black on the doors and on the shutters will help to connect it to the architecture in a positive way and restore the balance. You can't hide the garage so be proud of it and make it look smart and welcoming - the pictures you posted of the cream houses with black garage doors and shutters illustrate just how good it will look.
January 7, 2013 at 12:46am   
apennameandthata
Number 2 is the best. Garage doors are supposed to be boring as the emphasis is supposed to be on your front door. If you made the garage doors a little darker, they might not dominate so much.

Stated differently, if maybe it is not the garage doors that you find boring but the whole front of your house? If something else that was supposed to be interesting then you would not mind the garage doors being boring (which is what they are supposed to be, IMHO). You could, for example, have diagonal path leading to your front door, which would be emphasised as it would be at right angles to the path. More likely you don't have two street frontage and could have a garden path beside the driveway.

Pls post after pics to see what you end up going with!
January 7, 2013 at 1:39am   
monika2024
Ok everyone... Here are my new doors.. Decided that white is too blah for my liking and didn't dare to go black so we went with these. I love them!
June 11, 2013 at 3:47pm     
pollyannagal
Very pretty. Thanks for the update - it's always good to see the finished project.
June 11, 2013 at 11:47pm   
diyher
very nice. I was going to say thanks for posting about your project because I too have a 19yo house with 2 builder grade garage doors and one of them broke beyond repair. We have siding the color of yours on 3 sides of our house, and the front is all brick and the style doesn't dictate to have shutters.

So seeing your colors convinced me when we do change the doors, to NOT go with white :) I like the 2 tone of your new doors. Can I ask what brand name they are? I'm looking for ones with windows too and I like the idea of the door handles in the center giving it a different style
June 12, 2013 at 12:00am   
monika2024
Hi there! And thanks! We got the Clopay Coachman style:
• Design 11 (overall)
• SQ23 (3 windows to match our house windows)
• Wrought iron twist handles (this matches our staircase's wrought iron twist spindles) plus it gives it a different look than the typical carriage house style.
• R12 with insulated windows

Post pics of the before and after if you can. : D
June 12, 2013 at 5:46am