Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What to do with these doors!
Tasha Ockfen
January 5, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello -
We have 10 or more of these doors..they are everywhere! Even our pocket door is of this design. I would like to change the doors but I do not know how to go about it. Painting would be hard and it would show the grooves of the design.
Questions: What would you do with these doors? If you were to replace them, what color and material would you use? How do you go about replacing them? I'm a new home owner (doing home updates is new to me) and we live in a 1958 mid-century home. Our home is all neutral colors and the trim of the doors are a dark wood. Thanks for any advice!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Joni Koenig Interiors
Glass! horizontal 4 or 4 light design; for private rooms change to the same design in a panel
January 5, 2013 at 1:51PM     
yvonnecmartin
Make those doors a feature of your home. Love them and decorate so that others also love them. They are truly unique.
January 5, 2013 at 1:54PM     
PRO
ísARK Studio
I have to agree with Yvonne. I think they are great. I can't tell what sort of quality or shape they are but I would preserve them and put some Piet Mondrian on the wall to play off them. Have fun with it.
January 5, 2013 at 2:08PM     
pollyannagal
Such unusual doors are a major feature in the house. If you really don't like them I suggest selling them to someone who is interested in that style (many people would love them even if you don't) and replacing them with something to your taste - it's hard to advise from the pictures you have posted but from what I can see of the house I would say something very simple and clean looking.

If it's too much having a house full of them why not keep the front door and replace the internal doors with something plainer?

Please don't try and paint them; either work with them or replace them.
January 5, 2013 at 2:19PM     
Michelle Mink
I have to say that I, too, really like the doors and would try my hardest to work with them, however, I don't have to live there. Will you be decorating your home in the mid-century modern style? Is there some reason why the doors don't work with your decor? What is it that you dislike about them (since you are the one who will be living there)?
January 5, 2013 at 2:20PM   
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
These are obviously unique and original to your home. I would think that many future buyers of a mid-century house would LOVE to have them and that they would be a selling feature. If you don't like them, I would seriously consider replacing them with simple flat doors (hollow core are cheap) but storing these. If this is the forever home, and you don't see yourself leaving there for years and years and years, then sell them - but I think it would be a shame. If this is a home for a few years, hang onto them. Don't paint them.
January 5, 2013 at 2:28PM     
jhequin
I think the doors are a great look and very unique they seem to go excellent with the front windows as well as the beams in the hallway. Don't spend the money on changing them when this makes your home unique think of what it would cost you to put the doors you already have in.
January 5, 2013 at 3:38PM     
AMN
I agree 100% with Kathryn Peltier Design.
January 5, 2013 at 3:41PM     
Janie Rainwater
Those are really cool doors, but 10 or more? in the same colors? Are they original to the house, or a diy feature from the previous owner? if the latter, I would figure out a different color scheme (more neutral) and paint them. If they are original, I would leave up the entry door and store or sell the others.
January 5, 2013 at 3:50PM     
thislittlehouse
Don't paint them!!!!! Someone would be willing to pay big bucks for gorgeous original doors like this, if you decide not to keep them!
:) Elie
January 5, 2013 at 3:57PM     
cyn222
Glass modern panel doors. Home Depot had some nice ones.
January 5, 2013 at 11:02PM     
cohoek
Hi from Holland, we live in a 17th century gabled house, when we moved in all the doors where covered with triplex/multiplex/hardboard panels, underneath were beautiful wooden doors, of course we took all of the panels off, you could cover your doors with panels, so that a century later someone can discover them! You'd have te make the panels a little smaller than the doors, other wise they won't shut. I tore off 17 panels!! This way you won't have to buy doors, have them fitted etc.
January 6, 2013 at 4:10AM     
Tasha Ockfen
Wow - Thank you all for your great feedback and ideas!

I love that people appreciate the doors and you have helped me think of the doors from a different perspective. Mid-centrury design and style is new to me so I'm taking it all in!

The doors are originally designed by the first homeowners thus another reason it is a tough call to replace the doors.The house is a 1958 mid-century L-shaped ranch style home. Our decorating style I would say is evolving into the modern rustic with nature and global accents, neutral colors. We have straight-lined furniture as well as mid-century accents. I would say my taste is more inline with contemporary rather than traditional mid-century modern although, I truly appreciate the mid-century style. The mid-century home offers such a wonderful pallet to work with!

If I replace the doors, I want it to be a thoughtful process keeping the integrity of the design of the home. I like the ideas of the simple door with glass, or I'm still open to keeping them! I do know the doors are a treasure so preserving them by either keeping them or selling them to someone who would love them is the way to go.

Thank you again for your feedback! What a great community to get feedback from.
January 6, 2013 at 9:54AM     
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.