Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help!!!
carla1961
January 5, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Need help in my living room. We are in the process of getting rid of all the oak in our house. I have these doors that open up into the master bedroom upstairs and want to get rid of them. Any ideas on what to replace them with???
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
kobley
How about shutters or frosted glass.
January 5, 2013 at 2:43PM   
carla1961
What color shutters?
January 5, 2013 at 2:46PM   
kobley
If you are getting rid of all the oak what are you replacing it with? If it is painted wood then match the shutters. You could also match your wall color if you wanted them to go away.
January 5, 2013 at 2:50PM     
Tyler Roberts
Frosted glass would be super kool and you could make it so it slides open which would be wicked!
you could do super long curtains with a red or something you could fill the wal or their is an idea that just popped in how about a painting? a print and you could not gett rid of the door but cover them with that
January 5, 2013 at 3:01PM   
wmpj
How do you feel about completely closing off the opeing in your master bedroom with drywall? Do you get much privacy?
January 5, 2013 at 3:08PM     
carla1961
Thought about closing them off, but I thought with high ceilings it might not look right
January 5, 2013 at 3:22PM   
tennisanyone
I would get it drywalled.
January 5, 2013 at 3:48PM     
wmpj
I think it would look much better closed off with drywall. The opeing looks a bit strange. What you could do as well is paint the area above your fireplace mantel a shade lighter or darker than the wall color and that would make the fireplace more of a focal point.
January 5, 2013 at 3:54PM     
houssaon
The least expensive option would be to paint them the same color as the walls, but for a long term solution, drywall is the best. You have a lot of interest on the upper walls with the window, so I wouldn't worry about it looking bare.
January 5, 2013 at 4:12PM     
vero2444
The less costly, paint it and put either mirrors or a long painting.
January 5, 2013 at 4:15PM   
PRO
Designing Richmond
Hmmm. If privacy wasn't an issue ie: just you and a significant other... I would leave open. Take the doors off, and enjoy the loft feel it will create. Add a shelf wide enough to put decorative items on that can be enjoyed from both sides.

If privacy is an issue... The shutter look works... It can be a tri - fold shutter door option or a Shoji Door option.
Either option I would want the end result to allow me a large opening into the great room, so I can have them wide open during the day.

(I love loft type rooms if you couldn't tell!... On my dream list when I become an empty nester some day!)

Good Luck!
January 5, 2013 at 4:27PM   
cyn222
Sliding frosted glass.
January 5, 2013 at 10:57PM   
giselalarsson
Well, I would open up the the wall from floor to ceiling in the bed room and them put in a french balcony with double doors!
January 5, 2013 at 11:10PM   
kimrwest
Drywall it and hang a nice big piece of art on the new wall.
January 6, 2013 at 12:12AM   
carla1961
Thanks, I've hated these doors since we bought this house
January 6, 2013 at 6:11AM   
carla1961
I like your comments. However the opening doesn't go floor to ceiling in our bedroom, the opening is waist high. Do still think opening it up is a good option?
January 6, 2013 at 6:14AM   
wmpj
Here's an idea carla. If you want to keep the opening but just change the doors to something else, how about paneled artwork. I'll attach a picture of what I mean. In the picture below, you'll see a tree divided into three panels. The picture can be of anything but the oak doors can be replaced with flat panel artwork. If the picture doesn't show, here's the link: http://pinterest.com/pin/141793088237494142/
January 6, 2013 at 8:14AM     
snowdreems
I would close it off. Many homes are now built with high ceilings and they are very appealing. If I was trying to sleep and my husband was watching T.V. it would keep me awake. Glass would not eliminate the noise and light. If you are hosting over night guests you'd have no privacy. I agree with another poster that it looks odd. If it was an office or bonus room I would leave it open, but not a bedroom.
January 6, 2013 at 8:22AM   
cmschepp
I think it would be awesome if you would open both sides of the windows and let your husband try to fly a toy helicopter through one side and then back out the other side!
January 6, 2013 at 4:52PM   
carla1961
very original!! love the idea
January 6, 2013 at 5:50PM