powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
New kitchen renovation about to commence. Help please.
pammerh
January 5, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Floor is decided on and will be Warm Walnut Travertine, thought briefly about wood floors but not practical for us, we live in a pretty rural area so we are mighty dusty most of the time and I have one large yellow lab who loves to shed. Custom cabinets will be made of Alder wood. Will also have an island so my plan is either doing perimeter cabinets in a cream color (not bright white) and island stained wood or visa versa. Will also need to pick granite at some point. Any opinions/ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have attached photos of a few of the floor tiles and the current kitchen. Footprint will not change drastically, island will be a little bit bigger and all new stainless appliances have been picked out. I'm just not sure weather to go with light cabinets on the perimeter or stained cabinets on the perimeter. I love the look of the light, bright kitchen so leaning towards the lighter cabinets....what to do, what to do.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
narcse
We are in the middle of a kitchen remodel and we are doing the same thing: cream cabinets on the perimeter and a mocha island. I'm really stocked about the counter tops as well: absolute brown granite on cream cabinets, botticino marble for dark island (dry sealed that lasts 15 years), and we found split faced botticino marble for the backsplash. I can't wait for it to be finished. Good luck with yours!
January 5, 2013 at 3:14PM   
wmpj
The items you picked out look and sound beautiful. Your kitchen looks like it get a good deal of light in there so I think either way you go with the location of the cabinet colors will work. As a personal preference, I would like the perimeter cabinets to be cream and the island stained. What color stain are you considering? I hope you post pictures when the kitchen is complete. It sounds like it's going to be beautiful.
January 5, 2013 at 3:14PM   
pammerh
Oh i definitely will post pics and thanks for the advice. I'm leaning that way as well. Found some very pretty granite today. Crema Bordeaux. Goes nicely with both cream and stained wood. Geez, it's gorgeous. We like stain in the more redish vein but not too dark.
January 5, 2013 at 4:20PM     
pammerh
Narcse....make sure you post pics. Good luck! Our first step is going to be a messy one...all of the tile you see plus down our hallway and one bathroom is coming up...packing boxes now and stowing everything in the garage in anticipation of a very dusty few days!
January 5, 2013 at 4:23PM   
narcse
pammerh, I will def post pics! I'm so excited for the finished project but it seems like it has taken forever. At least you have a great layout to go off of. We had to rearrange the entire layout which has added time. Plumber comes tomorrow to move sink about 6 feet, run gas lines to new stove, and install the fridge lines. Our cabinets arrived two days ago, but my husband can't instal them till the plumbing is done. Oh, and we removed the back sliding glass door and window! it sure has been a process. ;-)
January 5, 2013 at 4:37PM   
pammerh
Narcse..not very much strutural, plumbing, electrical work for us. Extending wall behind exhisting oven/micro combo about 12 inches, have to get an electrcian to add an outlet for really awesome convection microwave/speed oven we found that will go into same cabinet but bigger along with new oven (not sure what that entails but not my department, hubby working that out). Waiting on final drawings now and hope to get started end of this month. Excited to get going!
January 5, 2013 at 6:33PM