Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Leaking shower stall
patrobertson
January 5, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have a small 2 piece shower stall in my Vancouver Island cottage that has a seam that is leaking. I am thinking of replacing it with laminate walls. Has anyone had experience with this installation and if so any advise?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
nasmijati
If this was my space, I would remove the existing shower stall, check for damage, repair any damage, and be sure the shower pan is in good condition. Then I would install one of those prefabricated one-piece shower stalls.
January 20, 2013 at 2:53PM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I agree with tearing it out. If it has been leaking there could be damage that is hidden. I would than replace it with a tiled shower. I hate the prefab ones.
January 20, 2013 at 2:59PM   
ruthmand
If you want a quick fix eztia has the right idea. Tear out what you have now, repair damage and get a prefab, all one piece (including pan) shower stall with glass door. Interiors Intl. has a point but this would be the fastest way to a non-leaking shower and a dry floor.
January 20, 2013 at 3:12PM   
feeny
I would suggest simply recaulking it (which we do to the seams between our tile and our bathtub periodically). But I'm worried that if it has been leaking for awhile there may be damage behind the wall.
January 20, 2013 at 3:14PM   
PRO
Linda
It would be a good idea to remove it and check for mold and rot. If you do it carefully, you can probably reinstall the existing shower correctly and not have to worry about leaks. A heat gun set to a very low temperature can help with softening adhesive if needed, but often the dried adhesive will just pop off the surface. First step is to remove every screw you can find, then gently start prying probably at the top wall edge.

I agree that tiled showers are preferable, but budget may be a major issue for you. The essential part of any installation is sufficient amounts of silicone sealant AND enough time to let it cure before use. If you don't have other facilities, get the fast dry product.
January 20, 2013 at 3:17PM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.