Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
How do I decorate/update this!!!
tracih5
January 5, 2013 in Design Dilemma
What o I do with this? It's right in the dining room and visible from the entire house
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fcote
Paint in white.
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 6:10PM
decoenthusiaste
The marbelized wall treatment will need help too. Might want to replace the mangled brick edge of the hearth, then paint all of it the same shade.
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 6:32PM
cyn222
Run stone all the way up the wall. Lose accessories. I'd fix the base as well, too worn looking.
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 10:25PM
Aja Mazin
I absolutely love it!
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 10:33PM
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
Apply stone mosaic to base and front edge. Remove brick on wall and replace with cement board (fire proof) skim coated smooth and painted to match other walls. Paint stove a less harsh color that complements the mosaic tile.
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 10:54PM
cohoek
Hi, I would take off the round rim at the base of the fireplace, and put a chunky piece of oak skirting in its place, also I would replace the mantel with a nice piece of oak too. I would lighten up the whole corner by painting it white, so that the color of the brick stands out. I wouldn,t hang anything on that wall though, maybe a nice candleholder on the mantel? The stove itself should be your focal point, its very nice.
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 4:29AM
creeser
I like it! You could do floating shelves on the wall and then bring in more of the stove elements, like a wrought iron log holder (fire dogs?) and big ash bucket. Maybe even a funky handmade broom to the far side (away from the fire). A nice large kettle on the top. I even like the idea of the first photo of painting it bright red, but that's just personal taste.
[houzz=Wine country kitchen/family room][houzz=A Ranch Re-dressing Hanover NH]
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 4:41AM
mariamaly1999
Before you do anything I would say for you to look at it from every aspect in the house ,because, you know that maybe even a vase with fresh flowers might make a difference. Evaluate it out of 5 stars and if it does a difference to your room. Anything from a side painting, flowers, lights well anything can make a difference! Good luck!
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 4:49AM
PRO
Tri R Construction
If you really like the items that you have above the brick area, I would consider bunching them closer together. The way it is now, your eye is drawn to the hearth. There is no balance. If you pull the small items together it will give them more weight visually. When your hanging your items, try to give the items meaning; as if your telling a story visually. Most of all, since it is such a focal point, do something that makes you feel good when you look at it. Good Luck!
1 Like   January 6, 2013 at 5:21AM
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
There are so many materials and ways to approach this as you can see from the comments. What do you like and dislike about the stove corner? Do you want the stove to be a focal point in the room? What is the style of your home? Will this effort be determined by what you can do yourself or could you hire a mason, carpenter, etc? Do you have a cost limitation?
When I look at the structure of this corner, it seems to me that the small stove is overwhelmed by the amount of brick. Its diagonal positioning requires not one but two non-combustible walls. If you want to continue to highlight the wall with brick, stone, tile, etc. then you may want to consider either placing the stove parallel to the longer of the two walls or building a full height diagonal wall behind the stove while eliminating the bricks on either side (it looks like you have the room to meet the minimum code required clearances). In either case you are dealing with only one complete wall that fully integrates the stove and brings the elements into balance. The platform is then tidied up and the radius made into a diagonal when the new non-combustible material is applied. Also keep in mind that the stove can be painted to add an interesting touch.
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 12:30PM