Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help for my dining room!
kdocimo
January 5, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I'm trying to finish my dining room. My biggest problem is finding window treatments. I'm going to take down the fabric shade blinds and buy white wood blinds. I want to put up two panels but I really don't know what color accents I can do with this color of blue. I wanted to try a different paint color but I'm beginning to regret choosing this color . Thanks for your suggestions.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anthip
It's a lovely colour and a beautiful room with the panelling. Maybe change out the cushions for a linen and then get drapes to match? Then add another colour (like green) in your accents. Is your light chrome? I can't tell. It's too high off the table as well. Maybe a chandelier would be better in here. You need some art work along that wall above your sideboard. It would make a gorgeous gallery wall.

Or maybe a toile fabric for the drapes with a darker blue (royal) trim and then blue and cream striped cushions for your chairs?

I would probably go with darker blue curtains so the contrast of dark wood against the walls wasn't so pronounced. Then I might get new chairs with funky fabric (if cost was no issue) or else get the cushions done in a more funked up fabric. I'm not sure about the ties on the cushions. Some nice tight, tidy velcro would be better.

[houzz=Dining Room]

[houzz=Fitzroy Dining Room]

[houzz=Myriad Fabric Collection]

Gallery walls:

[houzz=Brownhouse Design]

[houzz=Gorgeous Living Room in Hollywood Regency Style - Robert Naik photography]

Blue and green accents yummy:

[houzz=Blue Summer]
January 5, 2013 at 6:40PM     
deb48
Hi,
I think the room has marvelous"bones' meaning you can do so much with it!Had you thought of plantation shutters? they really beautify a large feature and add privacy,A lamp on the sideboard and maybe some art on the wall or a mixture of an interesting mirror and some art also.A large rug underneath could anchor the table setting a bit more too.
good luck.
January 5, 2013 at 6:53PM     
Jayme H.
I like your room. Agree the light is too high...think a nice area rug and drapes will make all the difference!
January 5, 2013 at 6:54PM   
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Frederic Remington used an intense hue of this color, along with your hallway color, in many of his paintings -- two with canoes come to mind if you want to search for them. And if rugged froniter art isn't your thing, I'm sure that you can find landscape/sunset art using those colors. I'd bring your hallway color in through luxurious silk or silk-look drapes. Art is the key for bringing the two together. ...And Pottery Barn used to make a rug that brought these colors together beautifully. I don't think it's available any more, but you could search...
January 5, 2013 at 6:57PM   
decoenthusiaste
Lower the light to 36" or less above the table, art, soft fabric panels, lovely rug (must be 4' wider and longer than the table though.)
Smoky Blue Dining Room with Brown and Black accents
Myriad Fabric Collection
January 5, 2013 at 7:00PM     
anthip
Ha deco. I chose that second photo too - gorgeous room.
January 5, 2013 at 7:01PM   
decoenthusiaste
Just reminded me of her window size, bu really beautiful and I love the mix of pattern and texture.
January 5, 2013 at 7:05PM   
kdocimo
Thanks everyone for the comments so far. I'm not crazy about the light it was there when we bought the house. We totally agree its too high and will update!
January 5, 2013 at 7:07PM     
smldesigns
I agree you need a rug - large enough to fit under the chairs when they are pulled from the table. Once you find it use the colors in it for the draperies. The shade may look fine once you are some nice draperies. I think the chandelier needs to be lowered to about 30" above the table, but if you're not in love with it you may want to look for something with a little sparkle. I would look for a pretty mirror that hangs vertically and is about 1/2 the width of the sideboard. Unless you need them I would remove the chair pads. Once you have those things done, you can decide what needs to be on the sideboard. I like what you have one the table, but also think they would look wonderful grouped on the sideboard. Just my two cents. Good luck.
January 5, 2013 at 7:10PM     
PRO
Blue Hot Design
Be careful: wood blinds will be heavy, and cumbersome to lift and lower often, even with two on this window. And, of course, they can make the room quite dark when they're closed.

Would you consider woven Roman shades? They offer nice texture, filtered light, and some, but not total privacy. This one is bamboo, but white or white and another color would look nice in your room.
January 5, 2013 at 7:18PM     
anthip
I like the idea of the woven shades if you want something under drapes. I still think that room needs drapes as well though.
January 5, 2013 at 7:36PM   
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Hi kdocimo -- I just happened upon a print that made me think of your space: http://www.worldmarket.com/product/siena-ii-by-karen-wilkerson.do?sortby=ourPicksAscend&page=21
January 19, 2013 at 9:32PM   
PRO
JWinteriors
To balance the dark woods in the room, I would put up espresso bamboo roman shades with white window panels that go all the way up to the crown moulding. I would change out the chandelier to either a bronze fixture or a white drum light, maybe with contemporary crystals draping from the bottom (32 inches from the table top). You could apply white trim pieces above the chairrail to give you panels, then insert art inside panels. Accessorize the sideboard and table. Recover chairs with a bold pattern in blue/white and green to tie in adjacent room.
January 19, 2013 at 10:06PM   
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
Instead of going with a wood blinds I think a Silhouette type blind is more formal for a dining room.I would go with a decorative rod mounted 6'' above the window .For the drapery I would recommend 24'' panels on either sides in a solid silk fabric as for the type of pleat i would go with a Goblet pleat its alot more formal for a dining room and would look amazing on your windows.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/drapery-toronto/panels/goblet-pleat-drapery.html
https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=goblet+pleat+curtain&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.41248874,d.b2I&biw=1262&bih=908&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=SEH8ULvrKdH-2QWgyYGwAg
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/silhouette-sheer-blinds.html
January 20, 2013 at 11:12AM   
momof5x
We had a similar design in our dining room in another house but smaller panels on the wall, the panels and ceiling were painted the same as shown here. We had green olive curtains, the room was very comfortable and we always had nice comments about the room. It goes very well with white dining furniture.
January 20, 2013 at 11:59AM