Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help arranging my living room.
Patrice Conradt
January 5, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have asked for some suggestions before but now I am now ready to buy some furniture. Any suggestions? I am thinking of replacing the couch with a sectional that is open on one end and getting rid of the chairs. I am going to paint the fireplace white and center it on that wall with a mirror and sconces. The TV has to stay and my husband thinks it would be too high above the fireplace. any suggestions for the wall color would be great. I love the olive green in the dining area so would need to go with that color. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
abbshel
I would change your red wall to match the other walls and then maybe paint the fireplace wall your olive green. I don't think the wall with the TV should be such a focal point in your room. A nice cabinet with bookshelves would look great to hold your TV.

Your white trim is sooo white; I think it would look better in a softer, warmer white and same with your fireplace if you are doing to,paint it.
It looks like you have a beautiful wood floor - show that off with a smaller patterned rug!
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 7:37PM
rnmomma
Can you take a photo looking out from the fireplace? I'd like to get a better sense of the room for floor plan.
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 8:51PM
cyn222
White really pops a room. If you want color on the wall, put it on the fireplace wall and leave others a neutral color that goes with the green/gray color.
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 9:42PM
Patrice Conradt
Across from the fireplace is a bay window that has a 4 inch step up that I have a cushion on with pillows
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 9:43PM
Patrice Conradt
Here is another picture
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 9:46PM
Patrice Conradt
If I paint the fireplace white and repaint the TV wall to the color of the rest of the walls, what color should I paint the fireplace wall? The olive green of the dining room?
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 10:52AM
Manon Floreat
I like the idea of the fireplace wall an olive green, but I think I would keep the fireplace color as is. White will be too stark. The warm maple color of the fireplace should play nicely with the olive green. I like the life that the orange accent wall brings to the room. Since you'll paint over it, consider an orange accent chair to the left of the bay window. It will be a nice spot to join the children while they play.

A medium grey sectional such as this one from Room and Board is a nice neutral base that will go with just about any accent color you choose. Attached is a furniture arrangement that may work for you.
2 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 1:13PM
decoenthusiaste
If you use the color strip that the olive came from work up or down from that shade to find a good fit for the living room.
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 1:20PM
abbshel
I think the olive green would be pretty or a deeper shade of the tan you currently have.
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 1:20PM
Patrice Conradt
Thanks Manon Floreat for your suggestions. That is the color and style of sectional I have been thinking about. I like your floor plan. So you don't think I should paint the fireplace? I have been going back and forth on that. I just don't really like the oak color. Maybe I could stain it a darker color. Should I use 2 different rugs in the room or try to find ones that are the same? Do you think the TV would look better on a book case along that wall? I appreciate everyone's color suggestions.
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 5:48PM
Manon Floreat
You're welcome, Patrice. I would hold off on painting the fireplace for now. Repaint the walls, get your new furniture and then if the fireplace isn't working for you, paint it. If you do decide to paint it, stay away from the bright, cold, crisp white.

I would have two area rugs. The one you have now is a good size for the main seating area. A second smaller one could be added to the bay window area in almost a runner size. It'll cozy up that area and be a nice spot for the children to play (who are super cute btw!) They don't have to be the same, but should compliment one another. This one is tonally similar to what you have but has subtle color variation for interest. It may not be your preference, but illustrates the principle.

Capel Rugs Desert Plateau-Hibiscus Area Rug - White Wine

For the TV, I would actually recommend a lower console to bring the TV down a bit. About the height of this one is what I have in mind.

Hudson Media Console
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 9:46PM
Patrice Conradt
Okay. I am going to wait on painting the fireplace for now, which makes my husband very happy. I like the idea for the TV. The main reason we went with what we have is because I have 8 grandchildren with 3 under the age of 2 who I watch during the day along with 2 other little ones. We were worried about them trying to mess with the TV if were too low. I didn't know if a bookcase would make it less of a focus since we have the fireplace also. I love all of the help from everyone. Manon Floreat, you have some beautiful ideas. I wish I had some design sense. I have been spending a lot of time on Houzz trying to learn things. Thanks for all your ideas.
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 7:11AM
Patrice Conradt
What is everyones' opinion on this mirror above the fireplace. If I use it I would mount it on the wall I think. I had this in my basement not being used. Not sure if I like it in here. Welcome everyone's opinion
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 4:31PM
abbshel
It strikes me as too small and too modern for your decor. I see that it reflects your ceiling fan also.
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 6:46PM
Manon Floreat
Thanks, Patrice! I'm glad I'm able to help. I'm not sold on this mirror. I'd rather see one with some curves to balance the linear shapes in your room. About the same size as the wreath you had there.

0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 7:17PM
Patrice Conradt
Thanks Manon Floreat. I will look for a round mirror. Would you recommend a sconce mounted on each side of it?
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 7:40PM
Manon Floreat
You could certainly flank it with sconces. There are some really interesting ones to be found that are candle based, so they don't require wiring. And if you get tired of the look after a while, just change it!

I'll encourage you to look at this as a space to express your creativity. Feel free to change it up (including the mirror) ever so often as the mood strikes you or as the seasons change. Dwelling spaces shouldn't be static - they have to change as our preferences and needs change.

A few nice mantel-scapes for some ideas:

Cape Cod- Victoria

Brookwood Hills 2

Ideabook: Mantel Mania: Sprucing The Space Above Your Fireplace
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 10:57PM
Patrice Conradt
Thank you Manon Floreat. I really appreciate all of the time you take to help out. The pictures are very helpful and give me some ideas. I will experiment with some different things until I find somethings that I love. Thanks again for the help, you are very talented in design. If you have any other suggestions for the rooms, I would love to hear them. I will post pictures when the room is done.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 8:30AM
Manon Floreat
You are very welcome, Patrice. I look forward to seeing your updates. Keep us posted!
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 9:54AM