Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help with master bedroom
alirafi73
January 5, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We’re finally getting around to decorating our master bedroom and are stuck on a few points:
•We are adding some bookshelves on the east wall. We have a total of 4, 2 that are approx 16” wide and 2 that are approx 31” wide. Should we use all 4 (1 short, 2 long, 1 short) or only 3 (1 long, 1 short, 1 long) and how should we space them on the east wall? I would like to leave some room on the right side of the wall for art work. And when the door opens into the room, it opens into the left side of the east wall. Should we place the shelves all the way to the left, even though the door will open into them, in order to utilize this wasted space, or should we shift the shelves over so that the door opens next to them but into the wall?
•We’re still wavering on wall color. We tried for a light, warm gray but the room gets a lot of sunlight and none of the samples looked right so we moved on to something darker – Benjamin Moore Catalina Blue. Do you think this will work since the room gets lots of sunlight or would we be better off with a warm white and using accessories to add color? All of the trim work and doors will be painted BM Dove White.
•Behind the bed, there are 2 windows, each one flanking a door with glass panes that opens out onto a deck/first floor porch. We rarely go out there, though, hence the bed placement. We’re thinking of putting matchstick blinds on the windows (to filter some of the light), mounting them on the inside of the window, and then drapery panels on the outside (we need to shift the current rods out and up). Any thoughts on what to do with the door? Should we leave 2 drapery panels over it to block the light and then a drapery panel on the outside of each window?
Thanks for your help and feel free to make any other recommendations. We are planning to change the ceiling fan, purchase 2 bedside lamps (was thinking the glass ones that you can fill with shells or whatnot), and a new cushion and pillows for the loveseat at the end of bed, with orange or coral color in mind for accents. The brown bookshelf in the northwest corner will be removed and the headboard can be changed. Our style is casual, comfortable, organic.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alirafi73
Here are the bedroom dimensions.
2 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 7:26PM
ellabellapandas
New carpet and more sky light less book shelf
1 Like   January 5, 2013 at 7:29PM
Terri Williams
I'm not sure I understand why you would want all those bookcases in your bedroom. I think they will look pretty busy and not contribute to the serenity most of us seek in a bedroom. Having said that though, perhaps having the bookcases on the wall opposite the bed as a balance of weight and placing the dresser where the bookcases were.
3 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 7:36PM
ellabellapandas
Built in bookshelf
1 Like   January 5, 2013 at 7:40PM
flgrandma
I wouldn't place the bed against the window and block out all the light. I'd place the headboard against the wall that currently has the large bookshelf. I'd move the loveseat to the far upper left side of the room by the window/doors with a lamp and small table to allow for a reading area. Are you getting a new dresser? If so, I'd size it to place between the two closet doors. You could then put book shelves on the wall where the dresser is now.
1 Like   January 5, 2013 at 7:57PM
otmminaj
I would go with a white with rich color on the wood and moldings dark colors would make it feel dark. The night stands are a little Bolky I would go with something airy to let in the light. With the right decorating the bookcases would look nice. Don't clutter it or it will look small and I would either put a bench or to flanking chair by the bed. And I would go with a large credenza or dresser on the back wall to fill up the wall.
1 Like   January 5, 2013 at 8:00PM
smldesigns
It seems that this is the only layout you can do given the size of the dresser unless you remove the loveseat from the end of the bed In that case you could probably put the bed and nightstands on the east wall. Based on your current layoutt I would say raise the rods and expand them to the walls. Put drapery panels on either side and cover the door with one or two drapery panels. I think the matchstick blinds or maybe natural woven shades would be ok depending on you bedding and drapery choice. Your floors are beautiful so if you don't get a rug with more interest I would just go with the floors and maybe a small throw rug by the side of the bed. Not sure if that's a blue paint next to the door - second from top. Looks nice to me. I don't think the bookcases bring anything to the room.
1 Like   January 5, 2013 at 8:00PM
anthip
I agree. It seems a crying shame to put the bed in front of the windows like that. You don't have to use the balcony to enjoy the light coming through the windows. I think flgrandma is definitely onto a winner.
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 8:01PM
flgrandma
[houzz=
]

Here's another possibility for book storage without blocking your window/door completely.
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 8:07PM
flgrandma
This is another idea for book storage and still getting light in the room.

[houzz=
]
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 8:13PM
Jacqueline Pestano
I agree that the bed should be moved away from the windows so you can place your sofa and enjoy the natural light. The tone is a little monotonous, i will perhaps try for shades that will pop some color . I won't put a bookshelf in the master room, but you can dress it elegantly to make the room more inviting.
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 8:14PM
flgrandma
[houzz=
]

You would have room to place a 16 inch bookshelf on each side of the window/door.
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 8:24PM
alirafi73
Thank you all for your comments. Flgrandma- I really like your 2nd pic. We used to have our bed on the east wall but it really seemed to cut the room in half and made it feel short. However, I'll try to move the furniture around tomorrow and look at it with a new eye.
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 8:25PM
flgrandma
[houzz=
]

Alirafi73, Here's another bookshelves behind the bed that I think looks nice. Good luck with your furniture moving.
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 9:08AM